Advanced search

I want a perm! Mid life crisis?

(87 Posts)
heyok Wed 21-Feb-18 18:44:25

I mean do they even exist anymore?

I have long hair, but being mum, nurse, etc etc my hair is constantly stool to the back of my head in a bun.

Want volume. Love that mad curls look, abit like this?

Anyone had one recently?

HariboIsMyCrack Wed 21-Feb-18 18:46:47

I had a digital perm about 10 years ago that looked very like that. It dropped out quickly though and was v expensive.

I am also placemarking because I have been scared to try "old school" perms but really want curls again!!

heyok Wed 21-Feb-18 18:48:34

Ooo digital perm, never heard of this... what's your hair like normally? Did you find it massively damaging?

Ploppymoodypants Wed 21-Feb-18 18:51:38

Oh I really want a perm as well! But have v dry bleach damaged hair and my hairdresser say ‘nooooo’. But I really really want one 😁

battenbergbutterfly Wed 21-Feb-18 18:55:31

I had one last year on my thick shoulder length hair and it was ace! I've since cut it off and now have a pixie cut which I prefer but I did love my perm!

doctorboo Wed 21-Feb-18 19:03:39

Do a search for posts about perms. There's a lovely person on here (I'm shit with user names and can't remember hers unfortunately!) who recently had a perm and loved it. She included pics as well.

sportyfool Wed 21-Feb-18 19:37:27

My hair pretty much looks like that first pic . I do get lots of comments on it because I guess it's quite unusual as I'm white with blue eyes so no ethnic influence . Some days I hate it some I love it . Luckily I can just tie it up if it's annoying me .

happytobemrsg Wed 21-Feb-18 19:43:41

I'd love a perm but a looser one. Not sure if that exists...

mimibunz Wed 21-Feb-18 19:49:04

Oh yes! That’s gorgeous and I would love one myself. The only time I got a perm was when I was 20, so 30 years ago. I liked it but I really did look like a glamour Poodle. Good luck and let us know if you go ahead with it!

bigbootsj Sat 10-Mar-18 15:48:34

Did you get your perm OP? tempted myself! X

CisMyArse Sat 10-Mar-18 17:02:00

Watching with interest. I have just below shoulder length hair and 5 years or so ago, the back panel of it developed a curl but the sides stayed straight. It looks ridiculous if it dries naturally so I always have to fiddle with it - pain! I'd love to somehow even it all out with looser waves.

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 10-Mar-18 17:07:01

I have fairly short hair and had it permed for the second time last week. I love it! I had a traditional perm in the little rollers

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 10-Mar-18 17:07:53

My hair is coloured (blonde ish but not bleached) and it does not look or feel damaged

CisMyArse Sat 10-Mar-18 17:12:28

Is anyone here with loose waves willing to attach a pic? I have horror memories of my mother home-perming my hair and the effects were....let's just say, disastrous.

YaBasic Sat 10-Mar-18 17:20:21

yep - mid life crisis. don't do it.
unless you want a pixie three months later.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sat 10-Mar-18 17:22:15

Do you think RL hair will look like that in photos, OP? 😬
I’d likenone too but I’m realistic about the actual potential outcome...

Anyone with a current perm, please post a photo of your mane?!

BrazzleDazzleDay Sat 10-Mar-18 17:22:29

I got a proper old school perm at 18 as i was so fed up of my poker straight hair, I loved it but hated the faff of having to use products.
There's much better products and choice now though, I'd do it again

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 10-Mar-18 17:41:49

It’s not long or luscious but gives an idea of the curliness

zippyswife Sat 10-Mar-18 18:02:41

That looks cute riding I like it!

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 10-Mar-18 18:35:04

Thanks zippy. I guess I can be more experimental as my hair is so short it grows out in a matter of months and I can start again if I hate it. I’d probably be a bit more terrified if I had long hair

Kraggle Sat 10-Mar-18 19:05:55

Here’s mine from a couple of years ago. I could never get the best look from it, never found the right products. I’d love another if I could sort the after out!

I had mine done at a training college. Took a lot longer but only cost me £15!

CisMyArse Sat 10-Mar-18 19:06:02

Riding Nice!
Thanks for the pic.
How does it feel? Has it damaged it in anyway do you think? Do you wash and go so to speak?

Mine is long and grows very slowly, hence my utter terror grin

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 10-Mar-18 19:23:23

The texture and feel hasn’t changed at all from how it was so I don’t think it has damaged it at all. My last perm was October and hadn’t quite grown out so had a previous perm and colour on so I’m really pleased with the condition. And yes I just wash and go I don’t even need to comb it!

Want2beme Sat 10-Mar-18 19:57:42

I love Louisa Clein's hair. A friend of mine has this kind of hair, but she straightens it.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sat 10-Mar-18 20:09:28

I love the loose beachy waves look like in your photo op
Have no idea if a perm would give that desired result

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now