Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Going down a bra (band) size

(22 Posts)
Clearoutre Tue 20-Feb-18 21:39:55

I’m a 34DD and noticed that my bra band was moving about a lot so I tried a 32DD and got the dreaded double boob bulge as the cup then didn’t have enough space.

Does anyone know where I’m going wrong? I want to go down a band size but keep the same cup.

Viviene Tue 20-Feb-18 21:43:29

Yes, if you go down a band size you need to go up two cup sizes - try 32F

SpacePenguin Tue 20-Feb-18 21:43:30

If you go down a band size, you need to go up a cup size, or even two.

Best thing to do is get a fitting in a decent lingerie shop. Well worth it.

DianaT1969 Tue 20-Feb-18 21:44:49

You should try 32E.
It's the sister on cup volume to 34DD.
If you think about it cups increase in proportion to the band size. The volume a 38C cup could hold, would be a lot more than a 30C for example.

Paintbox Tue 20-Feb-18 22:17:58

AGree with pp, if you keep the cup size but go down a back size
You are effectively going down a cup size. Down a back size = up a cup size

Paintbox Tue 20-Feb-18 22:20:27

Sorry I worded that wrong, going down a back size doesn’t equal going up a cup size, but if you go down a back size, you will need to go up a cup size to get the same
Cup volume as your larger back size

dementedpixie Tue 20-Feb-18 22:23:49

Sister sizes of 34DD are 32E, 30F, 36D, etc as if you go down a back size you need to go up in the cup size to maintain the same cup volume. 32DD is not the same cup as a 34DD as the cup size is relative to the back size

Fairylea Tue 20-Feb-18 22:29:44

In addition to the comments above I would check your bra size using this method too -

thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk/p/fitting-advice.html?m=1

Clearoutre Tue 20-Feb-18 22:38:16

Thanks for the knowledge! I wasn’t aware of sister sizes!

Clearoutre Tue 20-Feb-18 22:39:55

The largest cup this bra comes in is DDD sad I assume 32DDD is not a sister to 34DD?

DianaT1969 Tue 20-Feb-18 22:57:34

DDD is the USA size equivalent of UK E

dementedpixie Tue 20-Feb-18 23:04:48

DDD isn't a U.K. Cup size. Where are you getting the bra from?

DuckBilledAardvark Tue 20-Feb-18 23:05:50

Great link!

I've just measured myself and I'm a 28E! Where on earth can I buy one of those?!

Clearoutre Tue 20-Feb-18 23:38:53

It’s a US website so that’s good news if DDD and E are the same.

Yes Duck I bet 28E is going to be out of range for some brands for you sad

Dilligaf81 Tue 20-Feb-18 23:43:03

I have never seen anything about measuring that way. It made me a 32F, worth a try. Thanks

Fairylea Wed 21-Feb-18 06:02:09

For 28Es try bravissimo, bra stop and Debenhams. If you find a style you like having tried it on you can look it up on eBay and probably find it for a third of the price - there are lots of ex catalogue stock shops on there offering brand new bras etc.

Phillipa12 Wed 21-Feb-18 06:16:56

That website and facebooks boob or bust (bob) page are amazing. Never get fitted at M and S they are shocking, bravissino and debenhams are brilliant, even my sister who thought she was small of boob at a 34b ended up wearing a 30D and that was a sight measurement from debenhams, bob measurement confirmed it, they also will be able to direct you to companies that stock 26/28in bras and be able to give you an idea on if the bras size small/large for that company or not.

PragmaticWench Wed 21-Feb-18 06:46:46

Figleaves is another good place for bras, lots of choice.

SquirmOfEels Wed 21-Feb-18 06:56:31

I tried on a DDD bra in Westfield last week!

DDD is a cup size at Pink (and presumably at its sister company Victoria's Secret) and it is just the next cup size up from DD (so would be E in normal British sizing.

Viviene Wed 21-Feb-18 08:36:36

I second Bravissimo. If you know what size in what bra you are (this can vary same as sizes vary between high street shops) then brastop and Ebay are good.
As pp said, lots of shops on eBay selling ex-stock. Admittedly, some bras you will never get in sales but it's the same as with everything else.

Inertia Wed 21-Feb-18 09:41:14

It's worth going to Bravissimo to get fitted if you can.

PaperdollCartoon Wed 21-Feb-18 09:58:06

Definitely use this calculator booborbust.com and go to Bravissimo if you can.

This picture also shows how the band size changes the cup, it’s not just bigger or smaller on the band, the cup volume also changes:

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: