Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Are plaits better left to the young?

(38 Posts)
Redwineistasty Sun 18-Feb-18 19:57:02

I’m 34 and I like plaiting my hair, usually loose braids or pigtails.

But I rarely leave the house with plaits in.

Occasionally with a braid, which then goes in to a pony/bun rather than plaited to the end. But my hair’s not long enough to pull off a full pony/bun yet.

I just feel self conscious, like I’m too old to pull them off!
And i right, or being ridiculous?

Polkadot1974 Sun 18-Feb-18 19:58:26

I say depends on the style. Looser is probably ok for us older than 10
I wear mine in two French plaits to run but out of necessity rather than a stylechoice. If I had great hair I’d sport loose braids though

Madasahattersteaparty1749 Sun 18-Feb-18 20:55:43

I often plait my hair either Dutch braid or French braid. Unless going back into a bun I only do 1 plait. I often pigtail braid my dds hairs makes fly away hair more manageable.

mummyhaschangedhername Sun 18-Feb-18 21:03:41

I'm 34,I often plait by hair in bunches when doing the school run. It's my lazy mum style 😂

negomi90 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:10:24

I normally wear my hair in one plait to work. It has to be off my shoulder and its easier then a ponytail to put under a scrub cap if I need to go to theatre.

Pumpkinisland89 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:17:45

Not sure about bunches and pig tails but plaits are fine.

YouWereRight Sun 18-Feb-18 21:18:48

I do loose Dutch braids, like boxer braids but loose. Sometimes I pin them up behind my head, sometimes I leave them hanging. Sometimes I do plaited bunches. I'm 30, I hadn't really thought that I might be too old for them, but I don't feel old enough for one french plait down the middle of my head.

I long for milk maid braids, but can't get them right.

Redwineistasty Sun 18-Feb-18 21:35:37

That makes sense nego I wear a helmet for work and have plaited it before putting it on, but then take plait out afterwards.
Much more comfortable than having a bobble digging in.

Redwineistasty Sun 18-Feb-18 21:37:15

youwereright Is one plait and old lady hairstyle?

I would love to perfect the plait Cherry Healy always has, but I don’t think my hair’s this enough. Plait is always really thin at the start.

Bluntness100 Sun 18-Feb-18 21:43:41

I plait mine for bed. If I have to go out quickly and it's on need of a wash or style and I can't be arsed I will put a single plait in. It's not really a style choice more necessity. I'm 49.

Pigtails and bunches I don't think are ok after junior school. I've seen some quirky young student type women get away with them, but past that I don't think you should go there.

YouWereRight Sun 18-Feb-18 22:58:02

I don't know who Cherry Healey is? Is she related to Matty?

I don't know why a single french plait feels too old on me, I certainly wouldn't think it about somebody else wearing it, it just feels quite headmistress almost.

Redwineistasty Sun 18-Feb-18 22:59:08

Don’t know who Matty is!

Cherry Healy does some beauty docus on CH4 occasionally

PlateOfBiscuits Sun 18-Feb-18 23:01:21

You’re never to old for a plait.

I know an older woman who wears one almost always and she absolutely rocks it.

HughLauriesStubble Sun 18-Feb-18 23:03:20

A French plait is my go-to rushed style that saves me from a scruffy scraped back ponytail everyday. Quite partial to braided pigtails and a few other plait styles too. I think plaits are very versatile, and can be dressed up or down easily smile

Redwineistasty Sun 18-Feb-18 23:04:35

Like this, looks grown up and I’d love to be able to do it

Redwineistasty Sun 18-Feb-18 23:05:43

But this, I feel like I just can’t pull off at 34

CakeNinja Sun 18-Feb-18 23:12:38

I have a hair routine due to my thick problem hair and time pressure in the morning. So. My hair is straightened on a Monday and left down for Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday it gets a blast of dry shampoo and then goes up into a loose
Bun. Thursday and Friday, a variety of plaits. Either 2 loose ones or one side plait or a fishtail if I have time.
That’s until I go to the gym and have to wash my hair when I wasn’t planning to!
But I work in a primary school and the girls in my class love it when I have plaits and we match!

CakeNinja Sun 18-Feb-18 23:13:22

Oh, I’m 33 and a plait lover!

YouWereRight Sun 18-Feb-18 23:20:11

That's kind of what mine look like, but less professionally done, and hers are a bit longer than mine.

Chanelprincess Sun 18-Feb-18 23:22:01

I think the right plait/hair combo can look good on all ages.

I love plaits as tight ponytails tend to give me a headache. I prefer a single loose french or fishtail plait, but do a basic plait to fit comfortably under my riding hat.

Sunflowersandsnow Sun 18-Feb-18 23:28:48

Boxer braids are my go to.

Sunday night: boxer braids with wet hair. They stay in until Tuesday morning when I take them out and have curls for the day.

Wednesday morning it’s all scraped up into a messy bun and I straighten and loosely curl tendrils.

Thursday: wash, blow dry and straighten. Then a high pony or left loose or just the top pinned back. Rinse and repeat until Monday!

Sunflowersandsnow Sun 18-Feb-18 23:29:26

*Until Sunday

Redwineistasty Mon 19-Feb-18 13:20:55

Gosh I wish I could get away with washing my hair once a week, even if it does mean a routine which I’m unlikely to stick to! blush
I have to wash mine every day!

IcelandicWarriors Mon 19-Feb-18 13:29:37

I do one French braid but stitch the length in a pony tail or loop it through a hair tie. My hair is too thin to carry the braid all the way down.

In summer I might French braid at an angle and wear a side bun in the length.

IcelandicWarriors Mon 19-Feb-18 13:30:06

Stitch? Put

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: