Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Does this dress look ok? I’ve had it for a while...🤨

(82 Posts)
TwinklyGiraffe Sun 18-Feb-18 18:07:21

Right I’ve an event to go to and I don’t really want to buy a new dress for it.

Everything I own bar this dress is really frumpy looking on me😳

My life is skinnies and tops now rushing about with the children, anyhow...

Reasons I’m not sure:
I think I look really pale, I cannot be bothered with putting loads of fake tan on.
I’ll have hair and makeup done but I think it looks very plain.
It has a rose gold zip and my shoes are yellow gold, I’ll definitely not be buying new shoes!
I bought the dress a couple of years back from Ted Baker but I’m worried the cold shoulder look is passé now.

I know my stomach isn’t that big but I think the dress draw attention to it?

Event is on Wednesday, will this do? Opinions please?

Many thanks

Ginslinger Sun 18-Feb-18 18:08:16

it is lovely and your stomach is fine

TwinklyGiraffe Sun 18-Feb-18 18:08:37

Reason for the second strange looking picture is to show the rose gold zip

Cherrycokewinning Sun 18-Feb-18 18:08:37

It’s lovely!

AndromedaPerseus Sun 18-Feb-18 18:15:11

It's a very classic lbd and looks fine accessorise with a bit of jewellery and clutch bag and you're ready to go

remaincalm Sun 18-Feb-18 18:17:44

Looks great, stand tall and be confident. 👍👍

BagelDog Sun 18-Feb-18 18:20:05

Classic LBD in a shape that really suits you, fab. If you feel it lacks impact then bright lippie or a fab bag in a bright colour. I promise only you will notice that the zip is the ‘wrong’ gold to go with those shoes!

MissFritton65 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:20:42

I agree that it looks great!

Brittanyspears Sun 18-Feb-18 18:22:26

Its v nice. More of a bardot neckline than cold shoulder.

MsJaneAusten Sun 18-Feb-18 18:34:45

It looks lovely. If you’re worried about the different shades of gold, could you buy a necklace with multiple shades of metal to sort of blend them? Something like this?

SheSparkles Sun 18-Feb-18 18:36:01

Looks fab to me!

DavetheCat2001 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:38:04

Thumbs up from me!

Klobuchar Sun 18-Feb-18 18:38:41

You look lovely and the cut suits your figure. You also have beautiful skin and are right to skip the fake tan. Never looks good on anyone imo.

AnotherDunroamin Sun 18-Feb-18 18:41:11

Definitely skip the fake tan - it'll take that lovely dress from 'classic chic' to 'TOWIE' in no time. You look great in it as you are!

OutyMcOutface Sun 18-Feb-18 18:42:43

It looks very fetching but you may want to pass on the high sheen stockings.

sportyfool Sun 18-Feb-18 18:50:49

It's not cold shoulder , it's a big Bardot but not the overly . It looks lovely !!

TwinklyGiraffe Sun 18-Feb-18 18:53:47

RIght, that’s good, thanks everyone.

However the tights😳😳 it says they’re invisible, clearly not!

I’ll have to have a rethink, no way can I go bare legged.

Bombardier25966 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:58:19

The dress is very dated.

You have a lovely figure.

TwinklyGiraffe Sun 18-Feb-18 19:04:36

Oh no bombardier that’s what I was worried about ...

ThisIsNotARealAvo Sun 18-Feb-18 19:06:52

I don't think it is dated. You still see these dresses on all the main shops' websites. I think it looks nice. However I am a fan of fake tan and I'd say go for it if you can get a professional spray tan in time. What is the event though?

wetrebecca Sun 18-Feb-18 19:11:58

It's not dated. Bardot necklines and rose gold trims are still all over everywhere.

Maybe it's a bit normal if OP is going to London fashion week to the iD party, but in the real world she'll look great.

Chewbecca Sun 18-Feb-18 19:14:51

I think the dress looks good but am not mad for the shoes & don't think they enhance it. I am unstylish though so you may be wise to ignore me.

MrsDilber Sun 18-Feb-18 19:19:05

The dress looks lovely. Honestly. Classic, doesn't look old fashioned imo.

SwedishEdith Sun 18-Feb-18 19:21:08

There's nothing wrong with it. And don't get a fake tan, they look awful. Fishnets are very current.

TigsytheTiger Sun 18-Feb-18 19:21:48

Dress looks fab, I would ditch the gold shoes and replace with a pair of black barely there sandals. Fake tan (light) so no need for tights and bright lippy. If it suits you, have your hair in an up do with some drop earrings.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: