Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Skincare regime for a total novice (40s)

(9 Posts)
Sportsnight Sun 18-Feb-18 13:34:42

Hello,

Can anyone help me work out what to buy? I’ve recently turned 40, and noticed that my skin is not what it was. I’ve never had much of a routine - I stick some moisturiser on if it feels too dry, that’s about it.

I’d quite like to give myself a bit f a boost though.

But.... my god there’s a lot of stuff out there! What do I actually need? Serum/ cleanser/ moisturiser? Day or night?

Alicatz66 Sun 18-Feb-18 13:36:42

What sort of budget do you have ? X

twoplytwoply Sun 18-Feb-18 14:52:35

And what's your skin type?

RockingMyFiftiesNot Sun 18-Feb-18 15:10:59

Moisturise every day, morning and night after cleansing, whether your skin feels dry or not. I’m in my mid-fifties, have moisturised since my teens and whilst I have a few wrinkles, generally my skin is pretty good I use a wash off cleanser in the shower, a wipe off cleanser in the evenings, followed by toner then moisturiser.

Littlechocola Sun 18-Feb-18 15:13:05

I was going to post similar! I think someone has flipped a switch and my skin has gone old.

Alicatz66 Sun 18-Feb-18 15:46:38

It's confusing I agree !! But I love a product !! Give Liz Earle a try .. my skin loves her stuff .. and it's cruelty free .. talk to the ladies in Boots or John Lewis ...
But get it online at Liz Earle website or QVC .. really good offers x... I used to use Clarins but too many different products and too expensive ... Boots no 7 Protect and perfect good mid range too x

Sportsnight Sun 18-Feb-18 18:02:08

Yes to the switch! I’ve also lost a bit of weight which I think has made it worse.

Budget - I’m not sure really. It’d be great to get everything for less than £100, as I’m not very good at spending on myself.

My skin is generally fairly good. It tends slightly to dry.

Is there a set routine of products like cleanser, toner, moisturiser (do you need them all?). And do you stick to one brand?

Alicatz66 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:22:55

You don't have to stick to one brand .. play around a bit .. it's trial and error .. I'd say you need a good cleanser, a toner, a moisturiser a serum and an eye cream ... I've never found a better cleanser than Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser ... but when I'm on a tight budget Nivea Q10 has never let me down !!! .. I get my make up off with hot cloth at night ... it's says it's suitable for eye make up but I find it stings... Nivea 2 phase blue eye make up remover is fabulous and always cheap in Superdrug !! ... then rinse your face with warm water and splash some cold on .. tone , use your serum and eye cream and moisturiser... I just wash my face in any face wash in the shower in the morning .. then whole routine again !!! .. it's a nice relaxing ritual once you get used to it !! .. boots number 7 is a good place to start also as they nearly always have stuff on 3 for 2 ... let us know how you get on xx

Fullfatlatte Sun 18-Feb-18 20:37:02

I’m 46 with classic combination skin but it has recently become drier. I adore the Divine cream from L’Occitane it’s one of the best I’ve ever used. £74 a pot but it lasts ages & you don’t need to buy a separate night cream as you can use it both day & night. I’m also a huge fan of Bobbi Brown’s soothing cleansing oil (again one of the best I’ve tried). Also their Vitamin enriched cream is also fab & their makeup. Keep it simple, Cleanse & moisturise. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: