Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Dehydrated skin

(24 Posts)
purpleviolet1 Sat 17-Feb-18 12:54:21

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a good moisturiser which is light but hydrating for sensitive skin

I currently use body shop aloe range but feel the moisturiser isn't working for me. The milk cleanser is good but my skin just laps it up and it's not exactly cleansing then!

Background : health issues and prolonged use of antibiotics and other medications made my skin breakout like never before. It is much calmer now on the breakout front but it is very sensitive. I've come back to the body shop aloe range as that's the only thing that keeps it in check

In the past I've tried origins, liz Earle, dermalogica, simple, boots own range

Many thanks!

purpleviolet1 Sat 17-Feb-18 12:55:50

Should've said - moisturiser for face

The aloe milk cleanser and toner seem fine and I really like the no7 microdermabrasion exfoliater which I use once a week.

I have a Clarisonic but I can only manage to use that once a week at the most and don't use it often tbh.

Gilbert82 Sat 17-Feb-18 13:26:21

I’ve just started using La Roche-Posay Toleriane which is working well on my dry, sensitive, eczema prone skin

purpleviolet1 Sat 17-Feb-18 15:30:20

Thanks it's not dry as such on surface but it's more dehydrated - tight feeling and anything just soaks in super fast

twoplytwoply Sat 17-Feb-18 15:55:15

My skin is really sensitive and has suffered from medication use aswell.

When my skin is dehydrated I use Waitrose Pure Hydration Night cream. Important it's the night cream. I find it never causes breakouts and it's both hydrating and soothing, you can pile it on, I actually use it as a moisturising mask aswell. It's also only £5! I find it better than more £££ products I have used.

I also really like the Cover FX calming primer, it's obviously a primer for makeup but I also use it as a soothing hydrating layer without makeup aswell.

MamaLupine Sat 17-Feb-18 16:01:40

I have really dehydrated skin and I use La Roche Posay Nutritive Intense Riche' cream. I also use a hydrating serum under the cream, either Vichy or Bioderma (I think!). At night I use Nuxe oil and either the same cream as day time or an M&S night cream. This has always worked well for me. Although I'm not sure that I would describe the cream as 'light', I don't find it heavy.

CaseStudyResearch Sat 17-Feb-18 16:21:37

I have similar skin. I'd stop using the Clarisonic.

Kiehl's is my go-to daily one, with Origins Drink Up Intensive twice a week for a boost.

ColaCube22 Sat 17-Feb-18 16:30:34

I did have terrible dry skin. I'm quite sensitive to a lot of facewashes and moisturisers but was recommended aveno cream (not to be confused with the lotion) and that works brilliantly for me. I also changed my face wash to Tescos cosmeticderm micellar cleansing foam. Maybe it's the combination of both but it works.

Itscurtainsforyou Sat 17-Feb-18 16:33:25

My skin is dehydrated. I use Superdrug hydrating serum, then Aldi moisturiser.

HeyMacWey Sat 17-Feb-18 16:36:00

Some of the hada labo hyaluronic acid lotion and smother it on as a first step both morning and night. It'll really help to rehydrate your skin.

purpleviolet1 Sat 17-Feb-18 18:25:20

Thanks all great suggestions !

BagelGoesWalking Sat 17-Feb-18 18:47:13

You need a hydrating toner - it really can make a world of difference. Not a cleansing toner, they are just full of good stuff. I chose Pyunkang Yul Essence Toner as it has minimal ingredients but others love the Secret key range. https://youtu.be/F9_mJoK4gr4

GinUser Sat 17-Feb-18 20:57:07

Drink more water?
Clarins for very cold weather is good. Also note how heated your surroundings are, because that and cold can also dehydrate.

dirtyprettything Sat 17-Feb-18 20:59:21

Nivea crime, in the blue pot

dirtyprettything Sat 17-Feb-18 20:59:47

Creme not crime

BetterEatCheese Sat 17-Feb-18 21:01:45

Have you tried facial oils? I use Bodyshop Oil of life for day and Neals yard rose oil at night, then Nivea soft over the top during the day too. Saved my skin, gorgeous

MotherofKitties Sat 17-Feb-18 21:18:01

Aldi's Lacura range is fantastic, it's hypoallergenic, super hydrating and the cheapest I've ever been able to use on my very dry, eczema prone skin!

GreatGatsby212 Sat 17-Feb-18 21:26:57

I suffer with dry skin quite often and use Dermatique. Always had a good experience. It's mainly available online.

AnnaMagnani Sat 17-Feb-18 21:31:19

When they start stocking it in Boots, Cerave is amazing.

purpleviolet1 Sun 18-Feb-18 09:32:59

Thanks all - going to try the Waitrose and Aldi cream first of all!

purpleviolet1 Sun 25-Feb-18 19:31:28

Update : Waitrose night cream is doing the trick so far! Thanks

IslingtonLou Mon 26-Feb-18 04:48:22

I would also recommend adding a serum to your routine such as hyaluronic acid

purpleviolet1 Mon 26-Feb-18 14:19:14

Can you recommend one for sensitive skin?

purpleviolet1 Mon 26-Feb-18 20:35:49

http://www.boots.com/la-roche-posay-hydraphase-intense-serum-30ml

I've bought this and just used it and it feels good. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: