Talk

Advanced search

Late 30s .....where should I shop?

(13 Posts)
mintich Wed 14-Feb-18 20:24:37

After reading the mint velvet thread, I wondered where people in their late 30s shop? I have a few mint velvet tops but it seems that I'm not quite their market ha! So where?

BubblesBuddy Wed 14-Feb-18 20:48:50

I think you are! My local branch is full of people your age but you have to like the style. I’m over 20 years older than you and I’m definitely in the minority in there but who cares?

I rarely shop at Zara these days, but you could. I prefer Massimo Dutti which is a more upmarket Zara. I like Cos. I also like Arket and & Other Stories. Mango is worth a look and, depending on your lifestyle, there’s always Saltwater and Boden but I think their designs are very recognisable so not where I go.

I cannot live without Jaeger costs. I have just bought a parka with a fur collar from Weekend by Max Mara. M and S jeans work well for me. I prefer lots of pairs to one expensive pair.

Baileystruffle Wed 14-Feb-18 20:55:44

Depends on your style! I find stuff at white stuff, fat face, debenhams, gap, m&s. Not keen on joules as they don't suit my body shape and never tried boden.

leccybill Wed 14-Feb-18 21:02:27

I'm struggling too. I'm 37 and athletic/masculine figure (ie. no chestgrin), 5'5". The grown up shops like Mint Velvet, Boden etc seem cut for more busty and wide-hipped types than me.
I used to shop almost exclusively in Next and Dorothy Perkins but they've both gone crap. I like Oasis but I begrudge their prices for so much polyester.

PNGirl Wed 14-Feb-18 21:13:00

I'm mid-thirties and don't believe in shopping by brand. I generally go to AllSaints for leather but for tops and jeans I have ASOS, Uniqlo, Gap, Weekday, Noisy May, Topshop, supermarket brands and Saltwater. Shoes are from all over. I have coats from Diesel, Ralph Lauren and Burberry. If you like MV, I say wear it.

fiorentina Wed 14-Feb-18 21:13:43

Cos, Other Stories, Jigsaw, Whistles, some John Lewis brands, a few bits from Gap, M&S and H&M..

stoplickingthetelly Wed 14-Feb-18 21:17:46

I'm mid 30s and tend to shop in H & M, warehouse, oasis, next, dorothy perkins and the odd bit of work stuff from M & S. I don't have a massive budget so don't even look at more expensive places.

Shadow1986 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:22:05

Hush, Oasis, warehouse, Asos - I’m in same category as you and that thread also made me question if I’m old before my time shopping there! Although I think the last few things I’ve bought have been ‘young’

MikeUniformMike Wed 14-Feb-18 21:28:48

I'm older by a decade but I like Jigsaw, Mint Velvet, Hobbs, Boden, etc. I think I probably dress a bit younger than my age.
I buy stuff from Zara, Jack Wills, Topshop... Mango doesn't cut it - the quality isn't good enough.
My mum likes Joules and Boden. I think the quality is great but they are a bit recognisable.
Gap is ok for t-shirts. Uniqlo is good for basics.
Jeans tend to be branded. Levi's, Diesel, Gap etc.

Floisme Thu 15-Feb-18 07:35:24

You don't know you're born. You think they're rude about Mint Velvet - have you seen what they say about Cos?

If I took any notice of some posters round here, I'd be shopping at Bon Marche and Jacques Vert. I think we need to listen to our instincts, not to fourth rate comedians.

IJustLostTheGame Thu 15-Feb-18 10:49:58

I'm late 30s and I tend to shop in the sales as my budget is small but I like Zara, H&M, ASOS, uniqlo, collectif, French connection, charity shops and I have an attic full of a ton of vintage clothes.

I'm a bit of a magpie
grin

Oly5 Thu 15-Feb-18 10:53:45

Depends on your budget. When I’m feeling rich I shop in White Company, Hobbs, Boden and Jigsaw.
I’m 41.
When skint I try and find bits in M&S and Oasis

Oly5 Thu 15-Feb-18 10:54:14

Oh yes, I Like French Connection too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now