Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Toddler clothes sizing

(12 Posts)
imlovingangelsinstead Wed 14-Feb-18 19:57:39

Some stores label their clothes ages 2-4 then 4-6 and so on. So when my ds was 2 or 3 I put him in ages 2-4. But now he's nearly 4 do I jump to ages 4-6? Age 6 just sounds massive whilst any clothes that fit a 2 year old shouldn't fit my soon to be 4 year old. Help!

KatharinaRosalie Wed 14-Feb-18 21:04:07

best to ignore the labels and put him in what fits. If the current size is not too small, no need to change.

GummyGoddess Wed 14-Feb-18 21:22:44

Toddler clothes have meaningless sizes. DC is in 18-24 trousers but still has tops that are 9-12. Just buy whatever looks like it will fit and fold back the trouser cuffs if slightly long.

eurochick Thu 15-Feb-18 09:13:33

Where are you shopping? The shops I use have age 3,4, etc or 3-4.

silkpyjamasallday Thu 15-Feb-18 10:15:31

It's H&M that do this sizing isn't it? I just get whatever is going to fit, I tend to get tops slightly bigger so buy age 2-4 for 17 month DD but she has 18-24 trousers, she's 50th centipede for weight and height . All need to be folded back at the cuffs but otherwise fit well. Always best to buy a bit big imo, you get more wear out of everything that way.

imlovingangelsinstead Fri 16-Feb-18 07:37:34

Thank you, I tend to be quite literal but I'll just buy what fits him from now on, thanks all! smile

liquidrevolution Fri 16-Feb-18 08:28:56

I buy the larger size so I get more wear grin

Chienrouge Fri 16-Feb-18 08:34:28

I try them on to see what fits.
My 2.5 year old wears 2-4 in H&M and my 4.2 year old wears 4-6. She’s small (25th centile) and it generally fits fine except the leggings which are huge.

DrCoconut Fri 16-Feb-18 08:54:42

The clothes are usually strangely proportioned so that you need one size for waist and another for length, which clearly is impossible. DS2 looks like the Michelin man with his adjustable waists gathered up but if I buy smaller they are too short.

GummyGoddess Fri 16-Feb-18 14:11:21

I did find that John Lewis came up very small but mothercare came up massive in comparison. And by massive I mean it accurately fit tall and chubby DC in the age range it said it did. He's never been in the correct age range in any other brand.

Paintbox Fri 16-Feb-18 15:02:43

H&M is annoying for this, I found there was a huge jump between 2-4 and 4-6 clothing. There was a king time when one was too small but other was too big for my dd

KatharinaRosalie Fri 16-Feb-18 15:54:06

DrCoconut Have you tried Vertbaudet, they do a special narrow fit range of trousers. I have a son who needs size 4 for waist but 7 for length, only ones he can wear (I also often shop in girls secton).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: