Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How do I stop looking so washed out? Help!

(30 Posts)
disneydatknee Wed 14-Feb-18 19:54:18

I've got quite pale skin and dark circles under my eyes. Whatever makeup I try, I always end up looking washed out and tired. Any tips? I used to like experimenting with eye shadows but now a days I end up looking like a clown as it just doesn't go with my skin tone. I'm blonde with blue eyes and 29 yo. I have pretty good skin, but uneven skin tone if I don't wear foundation. I'm going makeup shopping on Saturday so would like to try something new. Most of my makeup is benefit or Laura mercier. Help!

AnaViaSalamanca Wed 14-Feb-18 19:56:55

Look into bronzer and blush. Not wearing blush is a bad idea IMO. Also wear mascara.

Chocolateyescakeyes Wed 14-Feb-18 20:05:44

How about some light fake tan, it can do wonders! Clarins golden glow booster is great, mix it with your regular moisturiser and you can go as light or dark as you want.

JennyHolzersGhost Wed 14-Feb-18 20:07:00

Blusher.

wheresmyphone Wed 14-Feb-18 20:07:05

Came on to recommend the Clarins stuff and been beaten to it. Fab stuff. Lasts ages.

TheOneWhoKnocks Wed 14-Feb-18 20:08:39

Benefit Dandelion. I put it over blusher when I want to look like one of the living...

RiskIt4Biscuit Wed 14-Feb-18 20:11:12

A foundation that suits you.
If you have dark circles, then a concealer (and corrector if needed).

Blusher makes a massive difference.

I also think that mascara and brows help. I have really light coloured brows if I don't tint them/use brow products, and if I don't do anything to my brows, I look really washed out.

Alienspaceship Wed 14-Feb-18 20:13:07

Take your courage in both hands and get your make up done at some of the counters smile You will need to kiss a few frogs but if you try a few you should end up with some products that look good on you. (I hate it and feel self conscious but do it once or twice a year and it’s worth it).

Ponyboycurtis Wed 14-Feb-18 20:17:43

I'm pale Op & have many freckles, I use the Garnier face tan (spray) once a week, I never look orange but I do look healthier. I never get the same effect with just bronzer/blush. Also, I need mascara,lip stain and lip balm every day as I'm so pale (my brother says I'm almost see-through blush).

disneydatknee Wed 14-Feb-18 20:50:03

I use blush and bronzer but I don't think I'm doing it right. It doesn't really match my foundation. Dare I go makeup free entirely and approach the makeup counters?! I used to love the Laura mercier high coverage concealer that came in a tube but it's been discontinued. I cannot seem to find another concealer that fully covers my dark circles. Have researched colour correctors to use underneath concealer but can't find anything decent. In my early 20s I could use high street anything and look nice but it's so much harder now! Is it my kids? I'm blaming the kids.

WipsGlitter Wed 14-Feb-18 21:09:50

Are those glow drops any good if you are really, really pale? Would it not leave your neck white and your face tinted? Or do you do face and neck (including the back of the neck)

halfwitpicker Wed 14-Feb-18 21:11:57

You need to wear colours that suit you...

Your skin and hair sounds similar to mine : wear jewel colours, they'll make you look less washed out.

halfwitpicker Wed 14-Feb-18 21:12:28

Also, a blob of fake tan on your face every day does wonders I find...

Mistoffelees Wed 14-Feb-18 21:14:27

Wear lipstick. I always look washed out and don't look alive until I've put some.lipstick on. The Barry M lip kit Runway is easy to wear and long lasting.

PaperdollCartoon Wed 14-Feb-18 21:15:11

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder, this one, all three all over your face. Life changing.

Nearlythere35 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:16:46

Hi. I had this problem, little baby not enough sleep. I use bobbi Brown serum corrector and Clarins concealer, also Clarins flash balm underneath a Dior foundation. Bronzer definitely helps too and a good mascara, I use Lancome hypnose. This is really helping and although it's not a complete cure is a lot better. I'm also using some La Roche Posay products, including something with hyaluronic acid to help with dehydration and in the evening their retinol product to help with fine lines.

Chocolateyescakeyes Wed 14-Feb-18 21:21:48

wipsglitter I am really, really, really pale and it work wonders. I put it on my neck too, although it is quite subtle so I doubt it would look too obvious if I didn't apply to my neck. Ponyboycurtis I used to use the Garnier spray, but found some of them didn't spray properly and so did some research and found the Clarins one which I find is better and works out cheaper, although marginally more of an effort to apply, however has the added benefit of moisturising at same time.

keeponkeepinon Wed 14-Feb-18 21:27:17

The claims drops sound very interesting. Anyone know a reason why you wouldn't just buy the body version as it's cheaper?

Chocolateyescakeyes Wed 14-Feb-18 21:31:53

I use the body one on my face now as it's better value, exact same ingredients on the bottle, the counter lady said the same thing. Reckon it's just marketing.

CotswoldStrife Wed 14-Feb-18 21:39:10

I look so much better when I dye my eyelashes.

GlitterGlassEye Wed 14-Feb-18 21:48:39

I’m pale too but with almost black hair. My dark circles make me look deathly but when I can be bothered to put some light fake tan on, it makes a huge difference. I don’t even need to bother with as much makeup on my skin, just a little concealer and a bit of blush.

SukiTheDog Wed 14-Feb-18 23:07:18

For those of us with a bloodless, Nosferatu vibe, you have to do blush. I look like death without my. Obvi Brown Telluride which I use as blush and a cool pink lippie. Eyeliner (optional) but always....mascara.

You can drink all the H2o you want, it won’t give a pale lady the “glow” that a decent blusher does.

SukiTheDog Wed 14-Feb-18 23:10:06

Apologies.... some autocorrect fuckups ther.

FlopsyMcDoodle Wed 14-Feb-18 23:13:00

I have very similar skin colouring. Kevyn Aucoin concealer is fab. I use it everyday and I’m only halfway through a tiny pot that I got over a year ago.

EnidButton Thu 15-Feb-18 14:11:22

Blusher and a pink or red toned lipstick. (Not a 'nude')

Bobbi Brown do Brilliant blushers and their shimmer bricks are very good for adding a subtle glow. I've found them to be the best for doing make up lessons and giving advice etc if you want to go to a counter.

I personally don't use tan as I'd have to use it all over and I don't like the look of it. I think because I'm cool toned naturally so it looks a bit odd.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: