Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Size 4/6 ladies where Can I buy clothes on the high street?

(26 Posts)
ReformedCakeAddict Wed 14-Feb-18 11:04:29

This is not a gloating post by any means but I have over a number of years lost just over 6 stone and have gone from a size 22 to a 6 in tops.

I recently did a huge clear out and I have nothing that fits me. After taking up fitness I’ve not lost weight but I’ve lost inches. I was a size 6 at Xmas but I’ve been buying clothes online and if it’s tight fitted a 6 fits perfectly. But due to the oversized unflattering fashion at the moment anything in this style I really need a size 4 as it swamps my waist.

Please recommend me some shops I can go in and try clothes on.

HildaZelda Wed 14-Feb-18 11:39:54

I'm a 6-8 but I think a lot of shops are 'vanity sizing' a bit because I bought a couple of tops in Primark the other day and had to get them in a 4 as the 6 was too big!
H&M's smallest size is a 6 but their size come up pretty small anyway so a 6 from there is probably closer to an average 4 and would probably fit.
River Island and New Look also do some size 4's, but I think more in the petite range so it might depend on how tall you are.

rightknockered Wed 14-Feb-18 11:53:46

Allsaints size 4 fits me quite well. Ive mostly been wearing leggings or jeans in a size 23/24. I have broad shoulders so normal t-shirts are loose around my middle. H and M is good, other than that I belt everything

rightknockered Wed 14-Feb-18 11:54:38

Well done on the weight loss by the way

Tika77 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:56:37

Oh... I wish I still had this issue. :-) I used to shop in Topshop and H&M when I was smaller.

ReformedCakeAddict Wed 14-Feb-18 12:16:33

Thank you so much for all your shop suggestions.

I’m 5ft 2 so I’m sure the petite range would be spot on for me.

So primark, H&M, river island, top shop. I don’t think we have a all saints here we used to in HoF but that’s been turned into a primark now

PasDeDeux Wed 14-Feb-18 13:42:18

Miss Selfridge has a good petite range.

rightknockered Wed 14-Feb-18 13:52:29

Ah, I'm not petite size, 5Ft 5, so not sure if Allsaints would be suitable for you anyway. You might fit into some child size stuff. I can fit into 12 to 13, maybe try some 9 to 10

AuntieStella Wed 14-Feb-18 14:01:56

Try Uniqlo - you can check your actual measurements, but they have both XS (about a 6 in at least some other makes) and XXs on some items, and skirts/jeans etc are by waist, so try 25 or smaller

AuntieStella Wed 14-Feb-18 14:04:26

And Uniqlo are cut for the Japanese market, so their standard sizes are pretty much the same as many petite ranges.

Places like Hollister and Jack Wills do size 6 and 4 in some things, and no it's not all teenage slogan stuff.

But you could try teen ranges, try age 14/15 to start with, but 13/14 might be better at your height.

ReformedCakeAddict Wed 14-Feb-18 15:31:04

I do have a few teens clothing items but these are mainly open front blazers for work. For my size I am quite large of bust but have a small under bust and waist. So it does make getting clothes much harder.

For basics H&M and primark will probably be spot on but I’m in desperate need of a few evening tops not too dressy but not too casual,

Will check out a few teen ranges aswell. Thanks so much

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Wed 14-Feb-18 15:37:58

Miss Selfridge petite range is really good. I’m slightly too tall for petite but at my lowest weight they fitted me better than regular shops.

TK Maxx often have some good bargains if you don’t mind a bit of a hunt through the racks! (Although I’m currently wearing some supposedly US 0/UK 4 jeans from there at 12 weeks pregnant and definitely NOT a size 4 so you do have to try stuff on!)

BubblesBuddy Wed 14-Feb-18 17:35:18

Dd is a size 6 and usually Zara XS size is fine. Massimo Dutti smallest size is also small (they are a Zara brand) and Top Shop sizes are quite reliably small.

Mikethenight2good Wed 14-Feb-18 19:21:37

Oasis is good for small sizers. They do some pretty tops and dresses.
Well done on the weight loss xx

ReformedCakeAddict Wed 14-Feb-18 19:36:38

Oasis I’m sure we have one of these in our town. Many thanks

Not sure if we have a Zara but I will put both of those along with the rest with miss selfridge to visit.

Thanks so much for all your help. Really hope I can find some things tomorrow rather than online. I really like DP but I store they only seem to go down to a size 8 but online they go down to a 4 & 6 but I got fed up of there sizing being all over the place.

Trialsmum Wed 14-Feb-18 19:40:52

Yes vanity sizing is a big issue now, I should be a size 8 but even a 6 is sometimes too big!

Next online have a great selection of Lipsy dresses and tops that go down to a 6 but not sure if they do a 4.

ReformedCakeAddict Wed 14-Feb-18 20:08:40

I think my first stop tomorrow will be primark to try and determine what size I am, according to all the size guides I’m a 4 but when I put my stats into Zara it says 6. I am quite curvy.

I ordered a 6 top from boohoo in the week and it was huge but may be the cut that’s wrong for me I’m not sure.

Agree vanity sizing sucks, it wasn’t that many years ago I was on the reverse of this and most shops seemed to only go up to a size 20. Now that seems mainstream and small sizing is not.

Passthecake30 Wed 14-Feb-18 20:15:40

Wow, well done OP. I can't help as I'm more Amazonian in build, but just wanted to congratulate you on your amazing weight loss smile

Nidy Wed 14-Feb-18 20:16:41

Well done on your weight loss. I am completely in awe of you! Would you mind me asking how you managed to drop down sizes? I'm a size 18 at moment and dying to do something about it!!

ReformedCakeAddict Wed 14-Feb-18 21:26:50

Thanks blush

Nidy over the years I’ve tried a lot of different diets with various degrees of success but for me the best not only weightloss wise but also feeling great in myself, happy and also satisfied Hungary wise has been any of the low carb diets I’ve done. Started with shake based diets, didn’t enjoy them I will admit. 8 week blood sugar diet has been absolutely life changing. I’ve found it very good. Also inbetween rounds as we call them (each 8 week blocks) I’ve been doing intermittent fasting and have been for a little while. Alongside a bit of fitness had really made a difference inch loss wise.

To the poster who suggested Lipsy, there clothes look lovely I will definitely be ordering some stuff off there as I don’t know what would suit me with a change in body shape but there models I can relate too as they are quite curvy too so I can really visualise the clothes IYSWIM.

Nidy Thu 15-Feb-18 11:47:14

Amazing! Well well done .. you're my inspiration!

ReformedCakeAddict Thu 15-Feb-18 17:47:45

Just wanted to say again a huge thank you to everyone who chipped in with shop ideas.

I visited pretty much all the suggested shops today but got really overwhelmed with styles colours and prints. I ended up in prirmark and bought £70s worth of basic tops in all different styles and colours so can try them all on at home and work out what colours suit me then I can re visit all the shops again online once I’ve narrowed that down.

I seem to be a 6 in very fitted tops in primark a 4 did fit but prefer the look of the 6 so it doesn’t show bra line. Anything that’s not fitted a 4 seems fine, also managed to get a few kids shirts in 12-13 years I think they were.

Djangor Mon 19-Feb-18 10:26:52

Thanks for this thread - lots of useful advice for the few of us who are smaller than average. Can someone advise if Uniqlo sizing is erratic or just generous. Ordered a skirt & it has arrived clearly labelled as 26inch waist but as it is too big I got the tape measure out & the waist is 29inch. Are they like Boden where it is hit & miss as to whether anything you order actually has the measurements shown for that garment on the website?

goose1964 Mon 19-Feb-18 15:00:33

When DD was that size she used to buy things from the teen ranges, they are probably OK until your mid twenties for tops and I reckon jeans t any age

CallarMorvern Mon 19-Feb-18 17:07:29

Primark had loads of size 4 on the reduction rails last week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: