Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Not using moisturiser.

(10 Posts)
littlepeas Tue 13-Feb-18 11:48:30

Ive got myself into a bit of a weird cycle with my skin and am not sure how to proceed - looking for advice/tips!

I have always had quite dry/dehydrated skin but am also quite prone to spots (am 35) - I have done dry January and am halfway through a dry February and the different this seems to have made to my skin from a moisture point of view is huge! I am finding that if I put moisturiser on I break out in spots, but if I leave it off and use serum only I don't. My skin is no longer tight or dry! But putting make up on feels weird without moisturiser.

Any ideas from anyone? Product recommendations? Currently using the No7 serum, as it was a git from a friend, but am not especially attached. Previously using the L'occitane Immortelle range, which I now realise was far too rich for my skin but I was so dry all the time I just slathered it on!

NocturneGmajor Tue 13-Feb-18 15:28:53

Dry skin is actually very rare. People often confuse dry skin with “rough” skin eg. Hands often don’t need moisture, they need glycolic acid get rid of dead skin cells.
I’d keep up with serum, then sunscreen, then primer, then make up

NocturneGmajor Tue 13-Feb-18 15:31:19

If not using prescription range I’d go with The Ordinary, no point spending more for scented products

MinnieMousse Tue 13-Feb-18 15:31:29

Could you try a primer under the make-up to create a smoother surface? Also, I found Lush ultrabalm cleanser brilliant for getting my 30-something spots under control.

riledandharrassed Tue 13-Feb-18 15:34:14

You should be wearing spf??

JanetStWalker Tue 13-Feb-18 17:19:30

Peeling patches are dry skin, yes?

NocturneGmajor Wed 14-Feb-18 08:45:36

Peeling patches = dry skin?
If you are male no. Testosterone and dry skin no.
If you are female and post menopause, a very small chance.
Moisturisers initially ‘feel nice’ and create the problem which leads to the feeling that you need to place a new layer of moisture on the skin. Like an addiction, a cycle which needs to be broken so the skin barrier can repair without a constant assault of “moisture” being added.
True dry skin would be continuous not appearing as localised patches.
Without assessment of course (!) this could possibly be due to application of retinol / vit A products / vit C / acids etc? Scale back strength and frequency of products. Then on reintroduction ensure thin even distribution of product.
My opinion though is you shouldn’t have to dismiss patches of “dry skin” as simply needing a moisturiser. Evidence of disordered skin which requires medical opinion.
(Sounds very over the top when I read it back, that’s the thing with random internet comments I guess!)

senoritachiquita Wed 14-Feb-18 11:52:01

I have dry skin and had bad spots round my chin for many years until I started using oil cleansers. Sounds counter intuitive but really worked for me to address both issues. I use the detmalogica pre cleanse oil and then their face wash.

littlepeas Wed 14-Feb-18 14:37:33

I think I was more dehydrated than dry (which is why not drinking alcohol has helped so much!). I have a primer that contains spf (Urban Decay one) so will try that with my serum. I have pretty much stopped using everything because of spots! The more I put on my face, the worse it seems to be! I have never thought of myself as being oily at all, but I think I am a bit, especially around my nose! Suddenly my skin is behaving totally differently and I'm confused! Thank you for advice!

MrBennOfFestiveRoad Wed 14-Feb-18 15:33:26

The only moisturiser that doesn’t give me spots is Clinique’s Dramatically Different. I’ve used it for about 20 years and if I try anything else, I come out in spots and end up returning to it. I don’t use any other Clinique skin care products, so don’t think that I’m particularly biased!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: