Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Interview outfit - management consultant

(8 Posts)
OnAWhim Tue 13-Feb-18 08:39:58

Hello,

I’ve been out of the industry for a while but have an interview for a consultancy coming up. What do people wear these days? It’s obviously pretty corporate.

I was always more of a trouser-suit type, but would soften the look with a blouse (ie a bit more detail, not same tailoring than a classic shirt).

Any suggestions for good places to go for a great outfit? Thanks.

bleughhh Tue 13-Feb-18 10:15:58

Good luck! I like Reiss for trousers and silky tops (although the tops can be a bit see through) and I wouldn't wear a full suit now - although they do seem to be back 'in'. (Work in the city - lawyer.). I'd wear a tweedy jacket with the trousers and silky shirt for an interview - lots around - Zara or LK Bennet.

The Fold is lovely but (a) very expensive and (b) formal. The dresses are well cut on me though...

Whistles worth a look too for silky tops. And Jigsaw - depending what colours suit you. It's a bit sludgy for me generally.

OnAWhim Thu 15-Feb-18 08:33:01

Thanks bleughhh, will have look in Reiss as I used to buy work stuff there.

Everyone seems to say no suits! But a few years ago I would wear a suit at least 50% of the time to work, and men would every day. The interview is with a man so i’m sure he’ll be in a suit. So I guess I need a suit??

sportyfool Thu 15-Feb-18 10:58:10

I would wear a shift dress and jacket . I always think they look really smart . Trousers look fab if they fit well and you are not overweight ( sorry but i think that is true 😬😬)..

Hownow39 Thu 15-Feb-18 11:04:32

Smart trousers matching blazer. I would keep the top simple maybe a plain white t shirt or vest tucked into trousers

Zara has good matching sets.

Asos is ok

Something like this

m.asos.com/asos/asos-pearl-detail-suit/grp/18537?clr=navy&SearchQuery=&cid=13632&gridcolumn=2&gridrow=1&gridsize=2&pge=1&pgesize=72&totalstyles=305

Almostthere15 Thu 15-Feb-18 14:05:49

I'm in mc and most women tend to wear a jacket and dress or coordinating jacket to trousers. There are still lots of people wearing full suits so I don't think you'd look out of place if that's what you wanted to go for?
I personally think you can never be too dressed up for an interview, even if in practice in the work place things are less smart.
I would focus on tidy hair, clean nails, good shoes and a handbag you can balance sensibly while hand shaking.
Good luck

OnAWhim Mon 19-Feb-18 13:44:47

Thanks everyone. I’ll feel happier in a suit so will find a dress or trousers suit.

verite Mon 19-Feb-18 18:07:18

I like Jigsaw or Reiss for suits. Used to like Hobbs but gone a bit frumpy. Armani in sale or Bicester village!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: