Talk

Advanced search

Is cheaper make-up fake?

(22 Posts)
cakedup Mon 12-Feb-18 22:53:04

I used to buy my make-up from ebay, since it was so much cheaper. However I was put off by so many reviews claiming the products to be fake, and many of them did seem too cheap to be true. So then I moved on to Amazon...not as cheap, but cheaper than Boots. However, I'm not sure why I thought there'd be no fakes there, surely it's just as likely?

So. Do you pay full price? Or do you trust Amazon, Ebay even to get the real McCoy?

ZacharyQuack Mon 12-Feb-18 23:56:09

I used to buy makeup from ebay, but after seeing Aliexpress's makeup section and all the obviously fake products, I've realised just how easy it is for people to buy cheap fake makeup and pass it off as genuine.

I only buy from authorised sources now. I'd rather buy less than risk putting something dodgy on my face.

GrannyGrissle Tue 13-Feb-18 11:39:20

I wouldn't buy make up from ebay/Amazon. Allbeauty and zaveonmakeup arrrree cheap but legit suppliers. Failing that I buy from a proper really life shop.

HildaZelda Tue 13-Feb-18 11:52:47

I won't buy make up off ebay. Way too high a chance of it being fake. I think Amazon used to be a lot more genuine, but has become questionable in recent years. if I buy online it's usually from Allbeauty or Strawberrynet. Careful you don't get caught for customs with Strawberrynet though, although they are generally good to refund.

PNGirl Tue 13-Feb-18 13:22:09

I only every buy makeup either on the physical high street or from somewhere like Debenhams/HoF if it's a more expensive brand. I don't buy enough to be that fussed about saving £10 off a once a year purchase of a £30 eyeshadow pallette.

PasDeDeux Tue 13-Feb-18 13:51:16

I buy almost all of my makeup from Amazon and I've never had any fakes? Most of the time Amazon is the seller, and I only tend to use 3rd party sellers that have very high feedback ratings. Most of the time its not that much cheaper anyway! I buy online for convenience.

Branleuse Tue 13-Feb-18 16:14:38

ive bought cheaper makeup from ebay and its been fine, but i bought a mascara from amazon once that was cheaper and it wasnt right at all. Was only max factor too, so didnt imagine a big market for fakes, but it was definitely not their usual formulation

Opheliasgoldenwine Tue 13-Feb-18 18:24:22

If we're talking £10 for £40+ palettes then I would trust it.

cakedup Tue 13-Feb-18 22:21:04

I guess if it's sold directly by Amazon it won't be fake, but to be honest most make-up/toiletries sold on Amazon for substantially lower prices tend to be sold by others. Some of these are companies with VAT numbers and are trade registered but I don't know if that's a guarantee either.

Opheliasgoldenwine Tue 13-Feb-18 22:39:48

WOULDNT* trust it

fridgepants Wed 14-Feb-18 20:49:40

Strawberrynet do sell some fakes, apparently.

I've also noticed that the Facebook classified ads are stuffed with fake makeup - particularly MAC sets that are such obvious fakes to anyone even a bit familiar with their range. There's no way to report them. There was one seller who had her own page selling fake makeup and Facebook didn't give a toss. So I'd be wary of anything there - always ask for receipts.

cakedup Thu 15-Feb-18 08:59:59

I'd be surprised if Strawberry . net sell fakes?? Surely it'd be easy enough to shut them down. I'm surprised make up companies aren't doing more about the fakes to be honest.

LostInShoebiz Thu 15-Feb-18 09:08:48

It's horrendously expensive to pursue fake brands. Most of them also come from jurisdictions where the brands have little recourse to the law. Turnaround times in those jurisdictions are also so fast that any operations shut down can be replaced ten fold in a few days. Suppliers dealing in fakes can just claim ignorance too. This isn't very successful in this country as a defence but again, limited pursuit because who wants to get into a dispute with a large retailer and potentially cut supply chain.

In my office we see hundreds of products each week (shoes and boots) returned to us because people have bought fakes and decide to chance their arm returning a "gift" they've thrown away the packaging for.

Fakes are badly made and sometimes dangerous. Shoes are bad enough but something you put on your eyes? No thanks! They may be dangerous or if not dangerous then tested on animals (or not tested at all).

FormerlyFrikadela01 Thu 15-Feb-18 10:23:52

I guess it comes down to the old saying if it sound's too good to be true then it probably is.
I was looking for some eyeliner recently and saw one on amazon for £5 cheaper than everywhere else. Considering the pricing of this is pretty consistent across retailers there's no way the one on amazon isn't a fake. I think it's too risky co wondering it's going on your face.
One thing I don't understand is people who buy it knowing it's fake... Why would you risk it when you can get really good genuine makeup for so cheap now with lots of companies duping the higher end stuff anyway (think makeup revolution).

ThomasShelbysBunnet Thu 15-Feb-18 10:53:35

I bought a set of Stila liquid lipsticks that were such obvious fakes when held next to the real ones. Different lengths of tube, blurred writing and an awful sickly sweet smell. There was no way I was putting it anywhere near my face.
I contacted the ebay seller (who was listed as a UK seller in Portsmouth) and they told me it was to be shipped back to China! I eventually got a refund from them. Lesson learnt.

BusterGonad Thu 15-Feb-18 16:03:25

It seriously depends on the brand and the seller, I buy certain lipstick brands from eBay, they've all been real, I know this as I have real ones bought in Sephora. I wouldn't buy stuff that's in demand like Estée Lauder advanced night repair etc as the chance of getting a fake is very HIGH!

Cheeseislife Thu 15-Feb-18 23:21:39

Have had fake perfume from amazon before, sent it back and got a fill refund but wouldn't rush to try them again!

Cheeseislife Thu 15-Feb-18 23:21:56

*full

InglouriousBasterd Thu 15-Feb-18 23:32:09

I was unwittingly given a fake mascara. Didn't realise at first until my face exploded into a red, swollen rash and I checked what I had been using...who knew 'MAC' was from Niw Yorke hmm

The mascara-giver was horrified. I had months of steroids. Still flares up from time to time...now only buy from boots or Superdrug.

cakedup Sat 17-Feb-18 21:29:47

Oh my gosh InglouriousBasterd that's awful. Weirdly enough, it's not the reactions to fakes that I'm scared of (although your post makes me think twice about that) especially as I think that's quite a rare occurrence. I'm more put off by the fact that after spending time choosing the product I want to use (and I do research everything I buy) I'm not actually even using that product. And a product that might have worked wonders with me - well I might never find out because I've bought a fake with fake results.

BusterGonad Sat 17-Feb-18 22:54:26

Cake if you are worried google 'is my xyz fake' and you should get sone good pointers as to if your item is fake.

Thesecondtoast Sat 17-Feb-18 22:58:55

I get cheap good brand make up from tkmax. I am hoping that is a bit safer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: