Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I need to look my most fabulous self in 2 weeks. Would anyone care to help?

(26 Posts)
TheBlowersDaughter Mon 12-Feb-18 18:51:51

I am attending an event in a couple of weeks, with people that I haven't seen for years. They are lovely, non judgemental people, however I am feeling my age (nearly 50) and would like to feel and look my best.

So, hair - no time for a cut, but in pretty good shape. Nails, not bad, will probably paint myself. Dress, sorted, but not sure about accessories, shoes and so on. Weight sad piled on over Christmas, and so hard to shift since menopause. Make up, disaster, BB cream and draw in my eyebrows grin

What can I do? I'm thinking some kind of 'princessing' that I've heard about, but a condensed version. Have I missed anything?

Please help!

GrannyGrissle Mon 12-Feb-18 19:56:38

Make up counter make up lesson? Number 7 or similar? Drink heaps of water, plenty of sleep, daily probiotic drink, excersize DVD every evening/hour of Hooper hooping in front of the TV daily?

peachypetite Mon 12-Feb-18 19:57:45

Could you afford to get your make up done professionally?

jalopy Mon 12-Feb-18 20:02:03

I find the following helps me to look better and more radiant.

1. Cut out sugar. Replace with dark choc if u have cravings.
2. Drink lots of water
3. Cut out alcohol
4. Exercise
5. Eat a handful of nuts each day ie almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts.
6. Eat avocados
7. Eat leafy greens
8. Tomatoes
8. Orange juice

If you have a go with these, let me know if these made a discernible difference!

Good luck.

64BooLane Mon 12-Feb-18 20:13:05

Oh yeah actually, I remember a thread years ago on a different forum where people were eating a daily avocado and it was making a rapid, noticeable difference to skin. Can’t hurt to try!

Bobbi Brown is a good counter to visit for a somewhat natural, achievable, effortlessly groomed kind of makeup look.

64BooLane Mon 12-Feb-18 20:14:03

If you need shoes/accessories advice, can you tell us about the dress? Link maybe?

travailtotravel Mon 12-Feb-18 20:16:42

Cut out dairy for 2 weeks along with all the water fruit and nuts.

Klobuchar Mon 12-Feb-18 20:18:11

Are you absolutely sure you have no time to get your hair done? It’s the one thing that will make a massive difference with immediate effect

pasturesgreen Mon 12-Feb-18 20:18:33

I second the makeup counter idea, they can be bloody brilliant! Consider a vitamin C serum, they can make a noticeable difference in quite a short time. Drink gallons of water/herbal tea. Daily probiotic supplement. Spanx.

Fosterdog123 Mon 12-Feb-18 20:22:44

Eggs, avocado and salmon for breakfast. Low carbs for rest of the day. You can shed half a stone easy in 2 weeks if you stick to a LC regime.

Fake tan always makes me feel/look better too.

Growingboys Mon 12-Feb-18 20:48:12

Go to the hygienist and get your teeth polished and scaled - newly white teeth will make a huge difference.

As will your hair, as a PP has said.

Also, exercising every day (or as much as possible) between now and then will make all the difference to how you feel. Give it a go!

DianaT1969 Mon 12-Feb-18 20:50:44

Two items to buy for glowing, plumped up skin. Usually available on offer from Superdrug.
Glycolic pads - to remove dead skin cells. Use evening 3 times a week on a clean face.
Hylauronic serum - hydrated and plumps. Works from the 1st application. Apply morning on clean, moist skin. Make up goes on top 10 mins after.
There are more options from The Ordinary and Paula's Choice, but these are easily obtainable and simple to use for when you need fast improvement without the research.

TheBlowersDaughter Mon 12-Feb-18 20:55:19

Ooo thanks everyone.

Will see if I can get some advise on make up. Rather fond of Clinique, although the assistants are always so young, and seem to be wearing most of the range all at once. Will look at Bobbi Brown.

Don't really have much sugar...apart from red wine - it's good for you after all grin. Will try to cut down.

Can easily cut dairy as don't have much anyway. No to eggs (shudder) and don't eat fish. How can I eat avocado? I mean I'm not too keen, so any recipe ideas?

My hair is the best thing at the moment. Might pop in for a fringe trim.

Hadn't considered a tan. Good idea.

Hooping hooper looks, er, complicated grin
Spanx ✅

TheBlowersDaughter Mon 12-Feb-18 21:01:43

Next hygienist app is in March, but teeth looking okay as I go every 3 months.

What exercise? I rarely never do any so no sure where to start. Could do with a few endorphins though.

Thanks @DianaT1969.

TheBlowersDaughter Mon 12-Feb-18 21:04:28

Can't link dress as it's last years - White company navy knit dress, long sleeve, round neck, knee length. Just fits perfectly and skims the tummy.

Gah81 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:24:33

I eat healthily but have never done a faddy diet.

Except this (3 day) one: foreveryoung.perriconemd.com/dr-perricones-three-day-diet.html Not for weight loss, more for a glow. I was deeply sceptical until I did the first time for an event and received so many compliments. My skin was smooth and bright and it made a real difference.

Have done it for every big event since.

And I know I sound like a Perricone salesperson but I have been here a good while, honest!

halfwitpicker Mon 12-Feb-18 21:26:03

Jalopy's list except the orange juice.

halfwitpicker Mon 12-Feb-18 21:26:42

Exercise = walking outdoors. Or swimming, or cycling.

Couldashouldawoulda Mon 12-Feb-18 21:28:05

The hair is a biggie and a quick fix - just book a professional blow dry, on the day, if possible! Always works wonders.

halfwitpicker Mon 12-Feb-18 21:28:30

I'd definitely consider low carbing, or at least only have bread or pasta for one meal. I. E. Toast with peanut butter for breakfast, veg and protein for the other two meals.

BinkyandBunty Mon 12-Feb-18 21:33:03

For exercise I can recommend Yoga with Adriene on Youtube. Free and easy to do at home in 20-30 minutes a day.

I just finished her 30 day True program and by the second week my body was noticeably more sleek and toned.

TheBlowersDaughter Mon 12-Feb-18 21:49:58

@jalopy

I find the following helps me to look better and more radiant.

1. Cut out sugar. Replace with dark choc if u have cravings.✅
2. Drink lots of water✅
3. Cut out alcohol - will try
4. Exercise - hiit?
5. Eat a handful of nuts each day ie almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts.✅
6. Eat avocados - is there an alternative?
7. Eat leafy greens✅
8. Tomatoes✅
8. Orange juice - only drink water and red wine & black coffee

fireflame Mon 12-Feb-18 22:16:04

I do normally eat quite healthy
But bought a dress once (for a wedding) just needed to shift a few more pounds in such a short time for perfect fit
Not a lover of fad diets..... however done the military 3 day diet lost 7 pnds
Amazing loved it 😃

RonaldMcDonald Mon 12-Feb-18 22:39:37

Righto

Teeth whitened - factually takes years from you

Not a make up counter but MAC or Bobbi Brown and get an application buying the key components

Then have a make up artist do your make up on the evening

Buy your outfit with the help of a personal stylist and purchase the accessories too. Best bag and shoes you can afford.

The Blood sugar diet for two weeks. 800 cals no carbs, water

A good cleanse, tone with a BHA and then apply a serum every night

Manicure, pedicure

Eyebrow and eyelash dye. Face beard removed by threading.

Haircut and colour, style - as a necessity

RonaldMcDonald Mon 12-Feb-18 22:42:16

Ooo and act as if you just stumbled in from the road!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: