Talk

Advanced search

Perfume - where to start?

(4 Posts)
SwimmingInTheBlueLagoon Mon 12-Feb-18 17:06:04

What would be a good perfume for someone in late 20's?

Just need a starting point because I'm overwhelmed by the choices.

Gruach Mon 12-Feb-18 17:14:49

I have no advice if you're buying for someone else. But if it's for you - why choose one? Surely more fun to embrace the abundance of choice.

Several perfume-y places run sample schemes. (Have a look at the MN perfume threads.) I'd start with UK websites like Bloom - then go from there.

(Nb - honestly, feeling obliged to use the single bottle you've spent a fortune on can be surprisingly annoying.)

HildaZelda Mon 12-Feb-18 17:19:53

What sorts of scents do you like? Floral, fruity, sweet, spicy, strong, musky?

I'd say go a big department store and have a sniff. Get some cards and spray so you can smell them later and see what you like. Do NOT let the sales assistant push you into buying anything. I wouldn't buy on that day. Just try out lots and see what you like.
I'm late thirties and veer towards strong/spicy or fruity and personal favourites are:

~Obsession - Calvin Klein. Strong and spicy.
~Black Orchid - Tom Ford. Strong. Not to everyones taste. Eyewateringly expensive. Mine was a gift ;)
~Lola - Marc Jacobs. Fruity. Sweet.
~Decadence - Also Marc Jacobs. Sweetish but with a hint of vanilla
~Eternity - Calvin Klein. Strong but not as much as Obsession
~DKNY - Be Delicious (the one in the green bottle) Light and fruity. I think of this one as very much a summer perfume.
~Escada - Island Kiss - As with DKNY.

PNGirl Mon 12-Feb-18 17:32:44

I'm 33 and I like oriental vanillas, my favourite being D&G The One, and things that contain licorice and blackcurrant like a few of the Diesel scents. My current fragrance of choice though is Paris 1948 from 4160 Tuesdays which is nothing like any of those.

I suggest a good sniff around Boots and then looking up a few to see the notes they have in common.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now