Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Daughters ear piercing

(37 Posts)
neveradullmoment99 Mon 12-Feb-18 10:27:11

Posting here for traffic as I posted in health and no responses as yet sad

My two dd's had their ear pierced. How long do I need to keep cleaning them. Have been doing it religiously now for 2 weeks. Does anyone know when it can stop or lessen? How long did you keep doing it? They are just lobe piercings.

PerfectPenquins Mon 12-Feb-18 10:28:29

At least six weeks to keep them very clean and to be honest you want to keep them well cleaned indefinitely anyway.

ElfEars Mon 12-Feb-18 10:31:19

Until the wound has healed and the earrings can be changed which I believe is around 8 weeks. Make sure you turn them everyday too. But advice may have changed since I last had my ears pierced years ago.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 12-Feb-18 10:36:12

Really? 6/8wks? I clean them 3 times a day. Don't get me wrong, its not that I wouldn't clean them, maybe just not 3 times a day. Could it be reduced to once?
I do turn them when cleaning but I do know there is debate about this but to be perfectly honest, I would rather turn them as this is the old method and rather go with what I did as a child cause it worked for me.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 12-Feb-18 10:37:28

Thanks for the replies smile

Passmethecrisps Mon 12-Feb-18 10:38:55

I recall having my ears pierced as a child and having to clean them with white spirit three times a day.

ygrec Mon 12-Feb-18 10:40:49

It’s much better to just leave them alone. Bathe them in salt water if they get sore, but otherwise, don’t do anything - no turning/white spirit/tea tree oil etc.

Passmethecrisps Mon 12-Feb-18 10:45:16

Oh! For clarity I was not suggesting white spirit now - that was over thirty years ago. My point was about the frequency.

Rayna37 Mon 12-Feb-18 10:47:34

Surely if they're old enough to want to have their ears pierced they can clean them themselves? I was only 8 when mine were done and pretty sure I was thrilled enough to give my exciting new piercings all the attention they needed?

TinyRick Mon 12-Feb-18 10:52:26

I agree with ygrec

Especially if they were done with a needle by a professional.

gamerchick Mon 12-Feb-18 10:57:48

Surely they’re old enough to care for them themselves?

Bobbiepin Mon 12-Feb-18 10:58:28

Oh dear. Ignore everything up to this point. Lobe piercings are still piercings and require the same care as any other.

Boil the kettle and allow it to cool slightly. Dissolve half a teaspoon of sea salt (Not table salt) in a pint of water and leave to cool until it is safe and comfortable to touch. Easiest way to soak lobe piercings is to pour the solution into a shot glass and hold it up to the ear. Use fresh water for each ear. Otherwise pour it over or last resort soak a cotton bud and wipe around.

Do not twist them, or touch them unnecessarily at all. You are introducing whatever bacteria is on your hands in to an open wound. Twisting them will aggravate the newly forming skin in the fistula and will delay healing. Always wash hands with soap before cleaning them too.

Twice a day for 6-8 weeks should suffice, and regularly changing pillow cases too. Any signs or soreness, redness or fluid that is not clear sleeping out is an indicator of infection and should be seen by a GP.

It's also a good habit not to wear cheap or heavy earrings to ensure the love doesn't split (not very common but does happen).

Antigonads Mon 12-Feb-18 11:07:36

Can't your dds do it themselves?

neveradullmoment99 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:07:38

Surely they’re old enough to care for them themselves?

Yes, the 11 year old is. She has done it herself but has been afraid to up until now. The 7 year old would struggle cleaning the backs.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:08:15

The ears are beautifully clean and clear atm. No soreness.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:09:01

Their earrings are gold studs. They wont be changing them for a good long while.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:10:56

Thanks everyone. Bobbiepin that is very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to post. Will continue with it, twice a day and will try the salt bath.

NorthernLurker Mon 12-Feb-18 11:11:36

Well if the 11yr old is scared to touch them then probably not a great idea to have pierced them and the 7yr old was certainly too young but I guess that horse has bolted.

keepingbees Mon 12-Feb-18 11:12:06

I think the previous posters mean surgical spirit not white spirit lol. Surgical spirit is probably still fine to use to be honest.

Yes you need to bathe them for 6 weeks at least once a day. Gently turning them is also advised. If you run out of cleaning solution you can buy saline from a chemist.

LemonBreeland Mon 12-Feb-18 11:14:17

I just had my ears re pierced after many years of not wearing earrings. I also had my nose done. I went to a very reputable piercer, who said clean once a day. No more than twice or you aggravate it. Don't turn the earrings as it just stops the wound healing.

If they seem clean once a day should be plenty. Just discourage your DC from touching them. And if they do touch them to clean their hands first.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:14:20

Is saline just as good as cleaning solution?

neveradullmoment99 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:16:01

Right so am thinking I will do this:
Finish with the cleaning solution.
Buy saline. Bathe the ears daily in the saline.
I will gently turn them. They turn easily and there have been no crusts and no issues. They don't touch them at all.

neveradullmoment99 Mon 12-Feb-18 11:17:14

Can I use saline from the optical range?

Bobbiepin Mon 12-Feb-18 11:43:26

If its sterile saline it should be fine. I've always made my own but the easy factor is appealing. Also please pay no attention to the people giving aggro about your younger DD. In an ideal world she'd be able to care for them herself but you are being a good responsible parent making sure it is done properly.

PaperdollCartoon Mon 12-Feb-18 11:45:12

The only thing piercings should be cleaned with is saline solution - don’t need to buy it, sea salt in boiling water is fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: