Talk

Advanced search

Bikini Waxing and Over Weight

(27 Posts)
2000lightyearsaway Sun 11-Feb-18 23:41:17

Hi There
I'm going on holidays in the summer and want to try bikini waxing for the first time. I'm so sick of shaving because it grows back so quickly. However I am very over weight, as in a size 22 (and I've lost 5 stone already!) so I'm really nervous about the thought of going to get waxed. I wondered if anyone could put my mind at ease or give any advice to make me feel not so nervous?

Thelampshadelady Sun 11-Feb-18 23:46:58

I’m a beauty therapist. We see all body types and think nothing of it. See if you can find a recommendation for a salon.

mommybear1 Mon 12-Feb-18 02:26:45

Honestly don't worry as the other poster said they have seen all sorts. Salons with PHD wax are good this type of wax is one where the applicator is fresh and only used by the therapist on you. Wax pot salons if you don't go by recommendation you may find are less hygienic. I recommend not going when on your period have paracetamol about 30 mind before your appointment and have a couple of waxes pre your holiday not just one before you go as it will both help to ensure you get rid of all the hair and you have to be careful post wax re aftercare/exposure to sunlight. Tell the therapist as well that you have not had one done before I find they talk you through it a bit more. Also (and this is personal preference) I take my own g string rather than wear paper pants! I also book an early morning appointment so I literally have just had a shower before I go. Waxing is definitely worth it I've been doing it for around 15 years and no barely have any regrowth on my legs. Good luck!

Bombardier25966 Mon 12-Feb-18 09:39:34

Any decent therapist will be too busy getting on with the job to care what size you are. Honestly, they're looking at the hair not the size of your thighs or your foo.

If you're in Nottingham I can recommend nkd. The staff are lovely and wouldn't bat an eyelid at your size.

Gwenhwyfar Tue 13-Feb-18 07:40:09

Having had my bikini line only done (that was painful enough!), it grows back after about 5 days so doesn't last that much longer than shaving for me. My salon only allows once a month yet I have regrowth after one week so I don't really see the point of waxing regularly.

Sarsparella Tue 13-Feb-18 07:41:53

I’ve never had a bikini wax, I’ve always used veet sensitive & done it at home. Just an alternative (and cheaper!) idea you could try smile

Browtox Tue 13-Feb-18 07:51:09

Why do you wear a g string during if?

GrannyGrissle Tue 13-Feb-18 11:16:07

As an ex body piercer I encountered all sorts of body shapes/sizes (and a vast array of fannies too as hood piercing was a big deal then). All i gave a damn about was cleanliness, not expecting sparkling and pristine but washed that day. If you are nervous have a couple of vodka shots first and go for it!

mommybear1 Tue 13-Feb-18 13:24:26

Browtox- g string rather than paper pants

PaperRockMissile Tue 13-Feb-18 15:35:29

About being nervous - really don't worry, beauticians waxing will have see everything. Just make sure you are clean and avoid booking an appointment when you have having a period as you tend to be more sensitive.

I would take a spare cheap pair of high cut pants with you that you don't mind getting wax on as the paper pants they provide can be a bit small if you are of a larger dress size. Rather than worry about it, then you know you have some cover.

A word of warning, if you are very overweight - so that you have skin on skin contact in folds of skin between your lower stomach and the tops of your thighs (ie. the skin area where your bikini line would be waxed normally if you aren't having an all- off wax), you may find you are more prone to ingrowing hairs due to the pressue/agitation of skin on skin so if this is an issue for you, you may need to make sure you exfolilate that area.

2000lightyearsaway Tue 13-Feb-18 18:22:26

Hi everybody
Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I plan to go in the morning so I can be freshly showered. Taking my own underwear sounds good because I doubt they will fit me and I’d be mortified blush I have a waxer who does my eyebrows and stuff so I know who I’m going to. Think I just have to bite the bullet and go for it!

Browtox Thu 15-Feb-18 02:52:04

I have never worn pants

HuskyMcClusky Thu 15-Feb-18 02:55:40

I have never worn pants

What, you’re naked from the waist down? Why?!

Each to her own, but I wear my normal knickers and just hoik them to the side.

HildaZelda Thu 15-Feb-18 11:50:57

I'm with @Browtox. I never wear knickers either. I'm confused as to why you WOULD? Surely it just makes it more awkward?

HuskyMcClusky Thu 15-Feb-18 12:12:08

Hilda, to keep as much of your pubic area covered as possible?

I mean, my beautician only needs to see the side bits she’s going to wax, not my entire vulva.

HildaZelda Thu 15-Feb-18 12:24:56

I get more waxed off but even if it was just the side bits I still wouldn't wear knickers. Makes it much easier.

PaperRockMissile Thu 15-Feb-18 18:13:28

I'm confused as to why you WOULD?

Maybe out of respect for the beautician who doesn't need a gaping spread-eagled vagina and its secretions in her face while she's doing her job?

Browtox Thu 15-Feb-18 19:07:12

Paper - you need to get to a dr if you have secretions

ScreamingValenta Thu 15-Feb-18 19:10:08

Can't add to the advice already given, but congratulations on your 5 stone loss smile.

FreeFolk Thu 15-Feb-18 19:57:55

I don't bother with a G string or paper pants. The waxer will see it all anyway moving it to make sure all the hair is gone, and if they're squeamish they shouldn't be waxing intimately.

It takes a few goes to get all hair cycles, so regrowth will pop up faster to begin with and exfoliating will stop ingrown hairs and they won't care what size you are.

PaperRockMissile Fri 16-Feb-18 11:50:56

Paper - you need to get to a dr if you have secretions

Don't be an idiot. A healthy vagina has normal healthy secretions especially at ovulation.

HeartOfSass Fri 16-Feb-18 12:30:02

I’ve had loads of waxes and have always kept my own knickers on, except for the Hollywood one (obviously).

The beautician has always tucked paper towels over the top of the knickerline so no wax goes on them. Even if paper pants are offered, I’d say “I’ll keep my own, just tuck some paper towels to catch any wax if you need to, thanks”. Don’t feel you have to give up your own knickers or anything.

Browtox Sat 17-Feb-18 06:31:26

But Christ. It’s hardly oozing out.

PaperRockMissile Mon 19-Feb-18 11:26:39

It doesn't matter does it? No one wants that in their face when they are waxing. It's just good manners.

HuskyMcClusky Mon 19-Feb-18 11:40:12

^ exactly! Why would you make your beautician look at your entire fanny when she doesn’t need to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now