Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Coatigans

(25 Posts)
SpoonfulOfJam Sun 11-Feb-18 20:57:00

I've started my online hunt for a thick, warm, long in the arm cardi that can be worn as a coat , but really I need to go shopping and try a few on. Will have impatient toddler with me so needs to be a well planned and executed trip- no time for browsing.

Marks will be my first stop- I've seen a couple of people in pale grey ones, and I imagine the quality will be good.

I would however, prefer a coatigan in darker grey or charcoal. I couldn't see any on the marks website.

Does anyone know if H&M is worth looking at? I have never really rated the quality of their clothes to be honest.

I'm limited to high street shops- in terms of budget and accessibility. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

scampiesandchips Sun 11-Feb-18 21:46:56

I have one from Zara and I love it. I live in it.

citysnow Sun 11-Feb-18 21:49:00

Uniqlo?

coffeeneeded Sun 11-Feb-18 21:54:03

Sainsburys do a beautiful one. I was so impressed with the grey one that I bought the blue one as well. So very soft and comfy!

Washes brilliantly.

SJCV Sun 11-Feb-18 21:59:58

I have two from Uniqlo.

SpoonfulOfJam Mon 12-Feb-18 19:30:38

I'll have a look in Sainsbury's, that sounds promising, thanks.

Not sure if I can get to Zara. Uniqlo is online only? I'll look online anyway.

Avebury Mon 12-Feb-18 19:33:10

I also got a lovely warm one from Sainsbury's last year

SpoonfulOfJam Mon 12-Feb-18 21:22:00

I've just ordered 3 to try on from Sainsbury's.

CiderwithBuda Mon 12-Feb-18 21:26:50

I got a nice dark grey one from M&S last year which I got a few compliments on and wore and wore. Have been waering it this year although it's past it's best and gone all bobbly. Put it on yesterday and 16 year old DS told me it made me look as if I'd given up on life! So it's been washed and ready to go to recycling!

Need a replacement now though........ they are so useful.

Synecdoche Mon 12-Feb-18 21:36:35

I'm living in a gorgeous one from Gap. Lovely long sleeves!

halfwitpicker Mon 12-Feb-18 21:46:31

Are they actually called coatigans, or is that a MN phrase?

Not being facetious

SpoonfulOfJam Tue 13-Feb-18 07:38:02

No, they really are called coatigans. I only discovered the word while browsing.

chorusline79 Tue 13-Feb-18 07:44:36

My friend had a lovely grey one from Tesco - it looked really expensive as material was lovely

I thought immediately thought ASOS but they don't have many currently ( and online)

YouCantCallMeBetty Tue 13-Feb-18 07:45:28

I got a really nice grey one from Boden last year. Normally out of my budget but they do some v good sale reductions so might be worth a look as I think their sale prices are probably comparable to M&S full price.
There's usually a code for free delivery and returns as well if you look around online.

Freshprincess Tue 13-Feb-18 07:50:58

Try TK Maxx, I have a couple from there.

RoseWhiteTips Tue 13-Feb-18 10:40:34

I have a navy one from Cos. It looks amazing on although I usually dislike such garments.

oohyoudevilyou Tue 13-Feb-18 11:11:14

I'm a size 16 and ordered a nice beige one from Debenhams. DH said I looked like a Challenger 2 tank, so the coatigan went back and sexy time was cancelled.

oohyoudevilyou Tue 13-Feb-18 11:11:42

I'm sure they look nice on tall willowy people though!

MagicFajita Tue 13-Feb-18 11:13:34

I'm very jealous of those of you that can wear a coatigan. I looked like a bag lady when I put one on.

HildaZelda Tue 13-Feb-18 11:37:10

@MagicFajita. I'm jealous too. I love coatigans but sadly they don't feel the same way about me. I'm 5 3' and a size 6-8 and they drown me. I look like I'm dressing up in my big sister's clothes. I don't actually have a big sister, but YKWIM!

CiderwithBuda Tue 13-Feb-18 12:27:05

I'm a size 20 and I'm sure they don't look that great on me but I don't care! I'm at the age where comfort is more important.

Got one at Sainsbury's this morning. Am not sure about it as it has a hood. It I'll try it on later.

Synecdoche Wed 14-Feb-18 12:55:04

This is mine and it's lush:

http://www.gap.co.uk/browse/product.do?cid=1075755&pcid=1042323&vid=1&pid=000908040002

Also comes in a beige colour I think but the blush is surprisingly versatile.

CiderwithBuda Wed 14-Feb-18 13:25:59

Now to me that is just a cardigan rather than a coatigan. Really like it in grey though.

jessenia2 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:28:37

ASOS has a gorgeous one in the sale, I should be receiving it today. It's grey and has slightly Padded shoulders

oohyoudevilyou Wed 14-Feb-18 20:05:45

Grey or beige, I'm sure I'd still look like a combat vehicle. Enjoy your coatigans, skinny sisters. I will sit and weep whilst waiting for them to go out of vogue, much as I did when it was waterfall cardigans back in the day....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: