Talk

Advanced search

If you have sensitive skin what skin care?

(14 Posts)
JustHooking Sun 11-Feb-18 20:56:03

I'm thinking over and above the usual cleanser and moisturiser
I keep reading that serums and acid peels have more impact than moisturiser but I have very sensitive skin
Has anyone found any that are suitable

fathertedisgay Sun 11-Feb-18 21:32:44

aveeno cream is a good moisturiser for sensitive skin! i usually put loads on my hands before i go to bed and wear cotton gloves and its really helped with dryness and cracking. its also good to wash your hands with a bit of olive oil. hope this helps, i know what a pain dry and sensitive skin can be!

BagelGoesWalking Mon 12-Feb-18 01:40:41

Aveeno is good/basic and I used for years. Diprobase is a bland emollient which comes in useful sometimes.

La Roche Posay Toleriane range is specifically for sensitive skin. I like their ultra Eye contour cream, the Dermo Cleanser is very gentle and the moisturiser is fine.

I've heard Avène Extremely Gentle Cleanser is very good but haven't tried it.

I used Buffet from the Ordinary for a few months and liked it. I have since moved on to Korean products which I like lot more and I can see real benefits, including sorting out red/rough/irritated patches which I had for years. Sorted within 2 months.

BagelGoesWalking Mon 12-Feb-18 01:41:53

Meant to add that I like the Marula oil from the Ordinary- others prefer Rosehip or Squalane- definitely worth trying. A few drops before or with moisturiser is a good thing.

ChishandFips33 Mon 12-Feb-18 02:06:08

Aveeno for body and LRPosay for face

Every now and then I can do a Clearasil acid (?) pad but if I keep to the LRP routine I don't need it

RustyPaperclips Mon 12-Feb-18 02:14:33

I have just discovered Aveeno cream and it is a godsend! My DH has very sensitive skin and suffers from the odd patch of Pityriasis Rosea and Aveeno is really helping his skin.

My face is quite sensitive and dry but Aveeno is really helping to keep my skin smooth and supple. Plus it's good value for money!

RustyPaperclips Mon 12-Feb-18 02:16:39

I also agree that Diprobase can really help

JustHooking Mon 12-Feb-18 08:20:56

BagelGoesWalking
Can I ask which Korean products you are using and where you buy them tia

MaidenMotherCrone Mon 12-Feb-18 08:38:37

La Roche Posay Toleriane has been a godsend.

It's made a massive difference to my skin and to my chin acne. I've ditched all the products aimed at acne and the change is incredible.

I tried the mini kit containing cleanser, toner and moisturiser first and then bought the full sizes.

BagelGoesWalking Mon 12-Feb-18 09:58:38

JustHooking I use:
Pyunkang Yul Essence Toner- a hydrating toner (different to western toners which are for cleansing, generally with alcohol etc). Chose this for minimal ingredients, made specifically for ppl with sensitive skin/eczema etc.
Scinic All In One Ampoule- Honey based liquid (huge jar!). A small blob goes a long way. Adds tons of extra hydration/moisture.
Rosette Ceramide Gel- moisturiser. Tiny blob only. A bit sticky. Again, minimal ingredients, full of good ceramides, fatty acids and cholesterol.
I'm also testing Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence. Gel/liquid, very good for healing (some ppl are allergic to snail filtrate). This has pretty much healed up a second stubborn dry/itch patch under my skin. It was tiny but really annoying! These all work for me but many alternatives available.

I bought (partly) from Yesstyle but you can be stung by extra 20% customs and £8 Royal Mail handling charge when packages are over £15 value. I got the Rosette via eBay from a Japanese seller and there are some UK stockists. Lots of sample packs on eBay (I was told always to buy from Korean sellers not from China).

Did lots of research. Gothamista and Liah Yoo on YouTube. Asian Beauty on Reddit and we chat about it on the Ordinary & Deciem FB group. https://youtu.be/F9_mJoK4gr4

Sorry for long essay.

rubybleu Mon 12-Feb-18 10:51:13

Cleansers - Bioderma Sensibio micellar water and Cerave Hydrating Cleanser. My skin hates tap water. It loves it if I only use micellar water so I tend to limit use of the Cerave cleanser.

Serums - The Ordinary Buffet, Hyluronic acid + B5 and Squalane Oil. Recently I’ve started trialling Granactive with 2% retinoid in squalane and 5% lactic acid (alternative evenings)

Moisturiser - Cerave PM

I have rosacea (flushing kind) and seborrhoeic dermatitis. Most soothing rosacea preparations like La Roche Posay flare seborrhoeic dermatitis as the underlying fungus feeds on oils (squalane is a rare exception to this rule). My skin flushes red on touch as it’s dermographic and tap water seems to make it worse.

This routine has 100% sorted out my skin along with some laser to blast the worst of the redness. I can wear a fairly light foundation (EL Double Wear Nude Waterfresh) and look good - I was randomly told my a colleague last week that I looked like Nicole Kidman in Big Little Lies so it must be working!

BagelGoesWalking Mon 12-Feb-18 15:41:33

Also worth looking for CeraVe - launching in Boots in March. Well formulated and not too expensive. I've seen their products recommended a million times, especially the Hydrating Cleanser.

Copied from a blog (hope the prices will be like this):
•Moisturising Cream – hero product £14.50 (454g)
•Moisturising Lotion – lightweight formula £9 (236ml)
•Hydrating Cleanser – non foaming lotion£9 (236ml)
•Foaming Facial Cleanser – soap-free cleanser £9 (236ml)
•Facial Moisturising Lotion SPF25 – restores barrier, hydrates & protects £12 for 52ml
•Reparative Hand Cream – deeply moisturises, non-greasy £5.50 (50ml)

twoplytwoply Mon 12-Feb-18 16:17:56

My skin is super sensitive at times and verges on tolerant the rest of the time. I find the key is to have some products I can fall back on if my skin isn't playing - for me that's the night cream from the Waitrose Pure Hydration range, the hylauronic acid hot cloth cleanser from M&S formula range and marula oil by The Ordinary. Also I love the calming primer by Cover fx, really soothing at times of flare up.

Serum wise, I think everyone's skin is different and it's a matter of trial and error. I find having my fallback plan helps tremendously when things go wrong!

BagelGoesWalking Tue 13-Feb-18 00:17:01

Oh, and what about Moogoo? moogooskincare.co.uk/ The milk wash and udder cream are meant to be great. I'm going to get some soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now