Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

New work bag

(16 Posts)
Runlovingmummy81 Sun 11-Feb-18 18:54:11

So I start a super new job in a few weeks! I've not worked since dc2 was born 5 years ago. It's an office based job, but will be traveling by train. Needs to be fairly large as will be using it for laptop as well. Not in every day so it will be with me all time.

Hit me with your super ideas please, thanks! Xx

Want2bSupermum Sun 11-Feb-18 19:54:25

I use a big Marc Jacobs bag (it was $75 here in NYC) which has side pockets for my water and coffee. Full price it's way too expensive but do a Google to see if it's discounted or available 2nd hand on eBay. This is the one I have.

Another good place to look is Knomo. The nylon laptop bag is nice. I prefer nylon to leather because I don't like the weight of the leather bag once I've got my laptop in it.

Don't get a backpack if you can avoid it. They never sit right and are a pain if using public transport as you are taking it on/off all the time.

ChishandFips33 Sun 11-Feb-18 19:54:31

Is your office/job smart or casual and do you have a budget in mind?

Longchamp Pliage sprang to mind

Want2bSupermum Sun 11-Feb-18 19:54:43

Congrats on the new job BtW!!!

Runlovingmummy81 Sun 11-Feb-18 19:57:27

Thank you! Literally my dream job and it fits around the kids! Not sure but I was kind of thinking smart casual. Not suited and booted anyway. X

Runlovingmummy81 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:01:21

I'd prefer one that had multiple pockets if that helps lol

Want2bSupermum Sun 11-Feb-18 20:11:53

When my youngest is no longer smearing me in peanut butter on an almost daily basis I will buy this bag. It's extremely versatile but at $425 I'm waiting. My Marc Jacobs bag has been washed in the machine a few times now.

HundredMilesAnHour Sun 11-Feb-18 20:24:13

I use a Vince Camuto leather bucket bag (can't find pics online as it's a couple of years old now). It fits my laptop in (the end does stick out a little), plus cables, portable conference pod, A5 writing folder, umbrella, purse, phones, etc. It holds a LOT but looks great and I still get compliments from people about it. It still looks as good as new after being used for work every day for several years. I'd definitely look at Vince Camuto bags if you want a normal shoulder bag that doesn't look too "corporate".

Runlovingmummy81 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:44:11

Thanks for your suggestions I'll have a look x

Charismam Sun 11-Feb-18 20:47:41

Id wait til you have sussed out the vibe of the place.

thecuckoosnest Tue 13-Feb-18 04:26:04

Congratulations on the fab new job! Here's some criteria I used when I picked my bag (also used for work and home):
1. Neutral colour
2. Washable or wipeable
3. Pockets: I wanted an upright water bottle pocket and an outside pocket for tickets etc
4. Sized right: fits laptop, cord, notebook OR spare kid clothes and a nappy
5. Safe: zipper closure
6. Comfy and hangable when you're in the loo or changing a nappy, i.e. 2 short handles and a long strap

I usually head to TK Maxx or an outlet village. Tumi does nice backpacks which might work if you have coat pockets for the things you want handy.

Runlovingmummy81 Tue 13-Feb-18 12:39:09

That's exactly the kind of bag I want! X

Want2bSupermum Tue 13-Feb-18 13:46:02

Le sport sac have some good options for you. The issue is their bags faded when I washed them.

PasDeDeux Tue 13-Feb-18 13:58:24

I buy most of my handbags from Amazon! My current bag is this one, I've had it for 3 years and its still in such good condition and I use it literally everyday and put it through its paces:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010USNM4W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

Just bought this one which I havent started using yet but plan to soon:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074P4R362/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

I've never been one to spend a lot of money on handbags.

goose1964 Tue 13-Feb-18 13:59:57

Amazon or TKMaxx usually have a good choice

Runlovingmummy81 Tue 13-Feb-18 14:12:14

Those are both lovely thank you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: