Talk

Advanced search

Growing out a pixie cut

(20 Posts)
99bluebuttons Sun 11-Feb-18 16:18:07

My hair is around 8 weeks post cut in a style similar to therighthairstyles.com/choppy-pixie-cuts/22/ but now the sides are heavy and getting a bit bouffant (ugh), the fringe too long and the back unruly! I want to grow it out but how do I get through the next few months until it’s doen over my ears and can be styled into some sort of bob. Any advice ... have a hair apt this week so want to be clear what I’m asking for! Thanks.

Luckycatsplat Sun 11-Feb-18 16:51:45

Personally I found a longer fringe gave more styling options. I could twist/plait the sides so it kept everything away from my face. It sort of drew attention away from the mess. Well, that's what I told myself anyway.

I went for the just grow it method rather than trying to keep it tidy as it grew though.

When I did rarely get it cut, the hairdresser kept the bottom bits short otherwise it went into mullet.

Also, I did lots of quiffs which seemed to make the random flicky out bits look better. Would have loved to do a faux hawk but it just looked so incredulous on me.

I have very thick hair so the thinning scissors helped to stop ot looking too blocky. But be careful because too much thinning out will maje it grow whispy and you'll still end up with no length.

Luckycatsplat Sun 11-Feb-18 16:52:38

It took me about a year to get it to chin length and tidy btw.

HildaZelda Sun 11-Feb-18 17:34:01

I feel your pain OP. I'm six months into growing out a pixie and much as I hate to bear the bearer of bad news, there's really nothing you can do but grin and bear it. Oh and hairpins, LOTS of hairpins. I almost cracked at the three month mark but my friend convinced me to keep going. I had a sudden growth spurt at Xmas and it's been a bit easier to manage since. Still loads of different lengths though. Nothing to be done but time I'm afraid.

Ffsnothingworks Sun 11-Feb-18 19:35:37

Not fashionable in anyway, but I wore cloth hair bands with an elasticated part to hide the horrible growing out phase, until it got to bob length. I shaved my hair off in November, and having to have 'boy' cuts until I get to pixie length!

99bluebuttons Sun 11-Feb-18 21:44:40

I shall brace myself for momths of painin that case! Ffs - bet it won’t be long until you’re having a pixie cut!

MaggieMay23 Sun 11-Feb-18 22:27:31

I'm about 12 weeks post cut and growing out a pixie cut similar to yours. - mines about halfway down my ears. My hair is thick and fine and wavy and sticks out and every which way. I can't decide whether to get it trimmed then let it grow or just leave it and grin and bear it

Calledyoulastnightfromglasgow Sun 11-Feb-18 22:29:53

God this is my problem. I’m three months in and my hair is awful.

I might just go pixie again as I loved it

neveradullmoment99 Sun 11-Feb-18 22:54:47

I would go to the hairdresser and explain that you are trying to grow it out. They will cut it so that its easier to grow. When I had really short hair, I kind of grew it and then went to the hairdresser where they styled it into a short bob and then I just grew and grew it. Didn't cut it for maybe a year.

Ffsnothingworks Mon 12-Feb-18 08:22:49

99 Michelle Williams is my aim!

CountFosco Mon 12-Feb-18 09:29:34

Keep getting it cut regularly so the hairdresser can shape it to stop it looking a mess. I've gone backwards and forwards between short and long but never find it a particularly arduous process. Leaving it to grow until you get pissed off is not the way to go.

StillMedusa Mon 12-Feb-18 22:04:04

Three months in here too...and look bloody ridiculous! But I am ignoring it because my hair mushrooms out before it goes down and as it is thick hairdressers can never resist thinning it out, which makes it take longer!
I have had the back trimmed tho to avoid the mullet!

MaggieMay23 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:17:19

@StillMedusa mine does that too - sticks out before it will go down - and hairdressers always want to get their thinning scissors on it.
I'm going get a trim and a tidy up- no thinning though - otherwise my fringe gets to heavy and I end up looking like one of the Beatles

TwentySevenTrillion Tue 13-Feb-18 09:37:49

Have been here!

The key is to keep the back short (pixie kind of short) whilst you grow the sides out. That way you can get to the point where the sides are long enough over your ears to have a short, graduated bob - and only then grow the back out.

And, as PP have said, clips and hair bands. Tucking hair behind ears. Accessorise the hell out of it.

But keep the back short.

I found these useful www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIRE-HEADBAND-RETRO-WIRED-HEAD-SCARF-ROCKABILLY-WIRE-HAIR-BAND-HEAD-WRAP-VINTAGE/121274631644?hash=item1c3c8805dc:m:mBDPrK8AHQjQTSzZ6vcItAQ

MustBeThursday Tue 13-Feb-18 10:00:13

As others have said, tuck behind ears, clips/hair bands/wraps are your friend. Styling wax can help keep hair smoothed down/begins ears without being crispy.

But sadly, yes you will have to commit to messy hair while growing it out - the tidier you get to keep it the longer it will take to grow out. I got mine to a short bob in about 6 months, but it looked really scruffy for several of them.

MaggieMay23 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:08:45

Great advice here, thank you.
Any advice on how to manage a fringe that curls up like a cowlick when you are growing your pixie out?

TwentySevenTrillion Tue 13-Feb-18 10:27:52

Maggie clipping it to the side. Only way.

MaggieMay23 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:37:22

@TwentySevenTrillion thanks I thought so. I toy with accentuating the curl or flattening it down

JoyceDivision Wed 14-Feb-18 18:15:34

Oooh I'm in pixie grow out, about 5 months in with hair that is baaaad, got hair app soon, left it for 3 months so hoping any cut will help! Aiming to get back and sides hacked away so can focus on getting fringe grown out as want to get to an inverted bob!

MaggieMay23 Sat 24-Feb-18 18:19:44

Well after getting advice on here I had the back cut and some off the front. Perhaps I should have gone to my usual hairdresser but I called into a local one on a whim and got the junior - maybe I should have said no. But I went ahead with it. It doesn't feel or look like a good cut and she wanted to thin it out a bit which always worries me. Today I've clipped the sticking out curly bits down and am trying not to look at it too much - should I wear a hat til it's grown a bit???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now