Talk

Advanced search

Please help me to buy some on trend but sturdy and practical boots or shoes!

(19 Posts)
TealStar Sun 11-Feb-18 16:05:32

I have the basics: pumps, loafers and ankle boots in black and navy; several pairs of trainers; three or so pairs of heels (I only go up to medium height due to lifestyle and my height). What I am lacking however are some cool and trendy statement shoes that also go with everything! So metallics, animal print etc.

I have no idea what styles are in, because while I love clothes I always forget to buy new shoes (apart from trainers, I’m an addict).

I like sturdy and practical, comfortable shoes but struggle to find any that are also edgy and not mumsy. So I’m thinking brogues and shoe boots... footwear to go with dresses and black tights, jeans, culottes, side stripe trousers. I haven’t a clue how to put them together. And what about socks? I’m assuming they’re a no no. Do I tuck jeans into shoe boots? Or roll up the gems and leave a gap of bare skin?

Sorry for all the questions, but if any of you s&b mavens have recommendations I’d be really keen to know what I should be looking for!

(I think that part of this is due to a move to the country combined with hitting middle age, so I’ve ‘lost’ the ability to work out what I want).

Thanks in advance.

Ellapaella Sun 11-Feb-18 16:56:51

I'd go for DM's.

TealStar Sun 11-Feb-18 17:12:36

Thanks Ellapaella but they’re not my style. I love them, just not in me. I think brogues are about as chunky as I can go!

TealStar Sun 11-Feb-18 17:12:48

Not ON me, obviously!

ChishandFips33 Sun 11-Feb-18 17:54:17

I saw someone a few weeks ago in metallic brogues, likely Clarks??

She had thick tights and just above knee skirt on

Would also look good with tapered trousers, ankle length

Another random stranger had burgundy/black lace ups, kind of an ombré look. Gorgeous colour

DMs also do chunky shoes if the boots aren't your thing

SleightOfMind Sun 11-Feb-18 18:01:40

Culottes and side stripe trews might work with some of your trainers.

Brogues are lovely if they suit you.

<gazes sadly at size 6 feet and sparrow ankles>

There are some nice ankle boots out there but I wouldn’t call any of them edgy, even the studded biker boot types are a bit school run now.

Where are you planning to wear them? If walking outdoors is not on the agenda, you’d definitely get more edge from shoes.

TealStar Sun 11-Feb-18 19:16:06

Thanks Sleight.

I’ll be wearing them to work (design agency so casual dress but no jeans) and out to the pub/evening gatherings. I live in the country so I don’t need, in fact want even, to look too glamorous and high maintenance!

The fact is I just can’t seem to get my head around fashionable footwear and how to wear it.

Metallic brogues sound lovely. Pewter though not silver or gold! Any recommendations appreciated. I don’t know where to start...!

TealStar Sun 11-Feb-18 19:16:36

Thanks also Chish. I like the sound of those shoes.

ChishandFips33 Sun 11-Feb-18 19:50:18

Actually I quite the pink!

There's a blog, enbrogue I think it's called, all about wearing flats that might be helpful

itstheyearzero Sun 11-Feb-18 20:00:26

What size are you TealStar?

HundredMilesAnHour Sun 11-Feb-18 20:14:28

What budget do you have mind OP? That will help.

TealStar Sun 11-Feb-18 20:44:55

Thanks all.
Chish, this brogues are lovely. And I will check out the blog. Thank you.

Year zero, I’m shoe size 6. (Clothes size 8. Tall. In case that was actually what you were asking!)

Hundred for the right shoes I’m happy to pay up to £100 per pair. Ideally a lot less though. But definitely leather/suede/natural material.

TealStar Sun 11-Feb-18 20:45:20

Sorry those brogues are lovely...

HundredMilesAnHour Sun 11-Feb-18 21:25:08

You could get something like these:

traceyneuls.com/collections/sale-2/products/boy-glam-gold?variant=51426947847

A little over budget at £125 but that's the sale price. Tracey Neuls is popular with a lot of people in design/architecture. She's edgy but doesn't follow fashion as such. I wear her shoes/boots almost all the time and am always complimented on them - but more importantly, they're really well made and really comfy!

itstheyearzero Mon 12-Feb-18 00:01:27

I was hoping you were a 5. I have some pewter brogues from Clark's that I have worn once, they are just not me. Hope you find what you are looking for!

ChishandFips33 Mon 12-Feb-18 06:37:01

thread about Mel C studded brogues with links to other suggestions

I wear Hudson brogues which are slightly less chunky than the Clarks but in boring brown!

TealStar Mon 12-Feb-18 09:03:31

Hundred they are beautiful 😍 not in my size though, but good inspo. I do like the less chunky looking brogues. Chish I’ll look up some Hudsons.

Yearzero; that’s a real shame! Thanks anyway.

Thank you all.

TealStar Mon 12-Feb-18 09:04:20

Thanks also for the thread link Chish. Mel C looks fab!

TealStar Mon 12-Feb-18 09:04:38

(Misses point of thread)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now