Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Bobbed hair advice...

(14 Posts)
Tinks15 Sat 10-Feb-18 22:07:41

I straighten my bobbed hair daily, which makes it look so flat and dull, I'd like to try giving my hair a bit of volume & more of a tousled look for a change.
I'm not really sure how to achieve this and wondered whether anyone recommends any particular products? Also want something that will calm a bit of frizz too.

stoplickingthetelly Sun 11-Feb-18 09:01:37

Moroccan oil is fantastic for frizz. I'm like you and usually just straighten my bob length hair, but for nights out I use a curling wand to get a tousled kind of effect. It works really well.

thedevilinablackdress Sun 11-Feb-18 09:21:50

Ask hairdresser for long layers if you don't have already. Also volumizing powder - comes in a wee tub, shake it up and squish into roots.

Tinks15 Sun 11-Feb-18 09:24:01

I've always struggled finding a nice curling wand that doesn't create tight curls, I want a really loose curl or barely a curl at all if that makes sense. I will have to look into Moroccan oil though.

Bratsandtwats Sun 11-Feb-18 09:40:51

Dry it upside down before you straighten it? I do this for a night out. A cheats way of making it look like a professional blowdry.

thedevilinablackdress Sun 11-Feb-18 10:37:05

If I want to do a loose wave I use my straighteners - wind hair round those. Keeps it messy and not at all Shirley Temple 😀

Mylady Sun 11-Feb-18 11:26:04

You tube videos for curls with straighners - they have a much more modern look espeially if you curl halway down and leave the ends out x

GinandGingerBeer Sun 11-Feb-18 12:16:25

Divides opinion on MN but babyliss big hair works really well for me. For a bob, get the smaller barrel. It’s NOT a hairdryer so don’t use it on sopping wet hair, get your hair semi dry with a hairdryer then finish with the BBH. Take time to practice, try it on completely dry hair to start to get used to the rotation.
If you can’t stretch to a new purchase, buy a GHD barrel hairbrush, heat the brush as you dry your hair, it gets very hot so be careful you don’t burn your head!

Eminybob Sun 11-Feb-18 14:34:20

Scrunch with salt spray, gives volume and waves

GingerLDN Wed 14-Feb-18 01:03:37

Redken Quick Tease Spray

BitOfFun Wed 14-Feb-18 01:12:02

Heat protection spray and use your straighteners to create waves. YouTube has lots of tutorials, and it's easy once you get the knack.

whiteonesugar Wed 14-Feb-18 15:56:59

How long is your bob? I have a long bob (a Lob if you will) and I use straighteners to sort of bend it as opposed to curl and then run fingers through it and flip up and down a few times. This is how it generally turns out. Its a bit longer now but worked when shorter too.

omBreROSE Wed 14-Feb-18 16:35:23

Most of the modern tongs create the look you are after...
They don’t curl the end somehow... smile
Babyliss has quite a few - just don’t get the skinny barrel. You’ll have an 80’s Carol Decker perm...

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 14-Feb-18 17:43:01

Elvive Extraordinary oil is really good. Smooth a few drops in damp hair.
When you straighten your hair, twist the iron quickly through the midlengths and ends to achieve a curl. Alternate which way you twist to give a less "done" look.

The bigger the section of hair you curl, the looser the curl will be.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: