Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Growing my hair.. do I need a trim? (Pic)

(19 Posts)
DavetheCat2001 Sat 10-Feb-18 17:21:16

Have been growing out my inverted bob for a year now, had it trimmed about 9 months ago but not since.

Does it look ragged and like it needs a damn good trim, or should I wait to maximise growth?

gamerpigeon Sat 10-Feb-18 17:23:26

I would have a trim to encourage growth. They can assess the state of your hair when you are there and if it's in good condition you only need to have a tiny bit off

barefoofdoctor Sat 10-Feb-18 17:25:43

The only way I've found to grow your hair is not to cut it. Seriously, the number of people who would ask me how I got such long hair (before i chopped it) and say they had theirs trimmed every two months (on advice of their hairdresser hmm ). was mad. Just keep away from scissors for a year at least. It's the only way! Xxx

Vestly Sat 10-Feb-18 17:26:36

I think the ends need a trim. I'd also be tempted to try and even up the lengths.
How does trimming 'encourage growth'?

DavetheCat2001 Sat 10-Feb-18 17:27:11

Thanks..I had it coloured a few weeks ago and he did ask if I wanted it trimmed, but I said no. Ruddy roots are already coming through hmm

I've been using Olaplex to help with the drying effect of the bleach which does seem to be helping.

I guess I probably do need to get it trimmed really.

RoxanneMonke Sat 10-Feb-18 17:27:30

I don’t think a trim encourages growth given that the hair is dead but you should keep the ends neat and tidy to prevent them from fraying further up the hair. I can’t see split ends on the photo but after 9 months I would say you are definitely due a trim.

RoxanneMonke Sat 10-Feb-18 17:29:07

Barefoof I am growing my hair and still get it trimmed every 2 months. The hairdresser just nicks the ends off to keep it tidy and it is definitely growing a lot faster than it’s being cut.

Labradoodliedoodoo Sat 10-Feb-18 17:30:00

Yes good trim then delay next hair cut

Luckycatsplat Sat 10-Feb-18 17:30:28

I think it would look better with a tidy up.

I'm growing my hair and find it needs a trim/tidy about every 6 months.

I think the "cut to encourage growth" thought actually means that if you don't trim it occassionally any splits and the like will run up the hair so you'll have to have more cut off long term.

Luckycatsplat Sat 10-Feb-18 17:31:28

Cutting the ends off makes zero difference to how fast the roots grow.

Pinkmexicanskull Sat 10-Feb-18 17:31:31

You need regular trims even if they dust the edges. Every 6-8 weeks! Olaplex is pointless if the bottom three or four inches of you hair are like straw.

Thelampshadelady Sat 10-Feb-18 17:32:35

I have regular hair cuts and my hair grows at a crazy speed. Think that’s just luck though.

VaguelyAware Sat 10-Feb-18 17:33:36

LOL at trimming to encourage growth. Hair is dead, except for the follicle. It doesn't know when you've been to the hairdresser.

VaguelyAware Sat 10-Feb-18 17:33:37

LOL at trimming to encourage growth. Hair is dead, except for the follicle. It doesn't know when you've been to the hairdresser.

DavetheCat2001 Sat 10-Feb-18 17:35:37

Yeah, I think it's looking particularly ragged around the front bits.

I bleached the front of my hair and dyed it blue and pink about 18 months ago, then went back to my box red and fried it basically, so it's in recovery!

Thanks for the opinions. Will get a good trim when I next get the roots tinted.

DavetheCat2001 Sat 10-Feb-18 17:38:04

Doing this wrecked it! grin

bonzo77 Sat 10-Feb-18 17:38:20

Trimming gets rid of split ends. Split ends tend to split and break, leave the ends very thin. Trimming won’t make it grow but will make the ends look fuller. I think a trim of half an inch or an inch every 4/6 months does help with keeping it looking nice while growing out.

Bluntness100 Sat 10-Feb-18 17:39:16

Just keep with the conditioning and get any split ends off, no more than that.

I'm also slightly bemused about how cutting one end encourages growth at the other.confused

BusterGonad Mon 12-Feb-18 17:27:09

I agree that trimming it maximizes the healthy hair and stood the split ends etc from damaging hair further up the hair shaft/length.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: