Talk

Advanced search

Help with workwear

(8 Posts)
DoraChance Sat 10-Feb-18 11:28:11

After spending the last few years in jeans and trainers I need to go to an event for work where I need to look semi smart, but I have no idea what to look for! I work in a creative industry so I'd like something with a bit of flair rather than a corporate look. I always wear flat shoes so heels are out. I'm early 40s. Does anyone have any thoughts on which shops to look in and what kind of thing I should be looking for?

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 11:48:49

What is your style/body type? Cos could be a good staring place for something sort of smart/creative but some people think it all looks a little bit weird. &Other Stories does smart/quirky quite well, I got some think navy cord culottes from there that I wear with fitted tucked in jumpers. Whistles usually gav nice quirky tailoring, but are pricey outside of discounts.Another option for cheap & cheerful is H&M they have some flowery midi dresses you could wear with boots and a long line cardigan... if the thought of these kinds of outfits gives you the heebeejeebees can you give more detail on what suits you, body type, preferred styles?

DoraChance Sat 10-Feb-18 12:03:37

Thanks for your reply. I'm fairly short, a little bit curvy, size 12-14. I try to disguise my tummy a bit if poss. Usually I wear jeans, trainers or boots and a nice shirt or top. I work from home so don't tend to need much smart stuff. I do shop in H&M quite a bit so will look there - I like the idea of a dress and long line cardigan actually so that's something I will look into. Never looked at Cos or &OtherStories, will check out their websites. I've worked at home for about 10 years now so think I'm really out of touch!

carbuckety Sat 10-Feb-18 13:01:04

Look at Hush for dresses. They have some stuff still in the sale. They are definitely 'creative' style I think. Also look online at John Lewis for a selection of different retailers all in one place

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 13:41:26

So this dress has been getting a lot of press, I personally prefer the blue colour and think it looks smarter. You could pair with burgundy/grey/navy cardis. Also earlier in the year this Hush dress was popular and my friend wore it to a work meeting, she looked lovely. She is probs size 14 5’5” ish and pear shaped. There is an extra 10% off Hush with the code EXTRA10 at the moment.

Swimminguphill Sat 10-Feb-18 13:42:25

But I really only think those dresses work with an ankle boot. Feminine shoes end up giving you a church flower arranger look which is not what you’re going for I think?!

DoraChance Sat 10-Feb-18 14:51:34

Oh I like the Hush dress, that's really nice. Yes I can see you'd need the right kind of footwear with that to keep it looking contemporary.

DoraChance Sat 10-Feb-18 14:55:21

In fact Hush is looking quite promising - I haven't looked on there in ages but I can see several things I like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now