Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

How to look better

(17 Posts)
whymewhyme Fri 09-Feb-18 20:56:01

I try to look ok but always look abit scruffy! I know I don't put enough effort into my appearance but I find it hard with a 18month old,two horse and two dogs and I'm always covered in mud lol I try to put gradual tan on once or twice a week, been using the palmers one but it's not the best. so I'm looking for tips on how I can look a bit better lol

Luckycatsplat Fri 09-Feb-18 21:05:11

Master a smart pony.
Make sure your clothes are in good repair.

BusterGonad Fri 09-Feb-18 21:12:29

Make sure all your clothes fit well and get rid of any that make you look like a sack! Have neat nails, de fuzz any excess facial hair, use lip balm and hand cream, wear good quality shoes/boots/wellies etc.....I try to look ok even without make up etc, my No1 Best Buy were my glasses. I love them and even without makeup I feel so much more attractive then I ever did in my hideous old pair!

BusterGonad Fri 09-Feb-18 21:13:33

Oh and if you dye your hair never leave it too long as nothing looks as scruffy as over grown roots!

donners312 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:15:35

Are you a bit countryish?

Wear tweed?

CantChoose Fri 09-Feb-18 21:49:17

master a smart pony - I must be spending too much time in the country as it took me several re-reads to realise you weren't referring to a horse...

whymewhyme Fri 09-Feb-18 22:29:49

@donners312 well not really, the tweed comes out for special occasions lol I'm just wellies jeans and a big coat lol I see other women and I think " how the f**k do they do it but they probably aren't outdoorsy. I have been having my hair done regularly but then I just do nothing with it at all. I guess I'm just crap lol

Chocolateteabag Fri 09-Feb-18 23:52:31

See I would cut yourself some slack - an 18 month old is just going to put sticky marks on anything nice you are wearing and will do for the next 2-3 million years

Seriously - take baby steps - try keeping your nails neat/polished in something clear and get a quick morning make up "thing" that will work for you.
When do you "need" to be smarter? Don't waste effort on dog walks for example, but if you are running errands then maybe you just need a smarter coat?

Mulberrysilk Fri 09-Feb-18 23:56:13

Obviously the 18 month old gets priority but are putting more effort into the horse and 2 ds than into yourself?

Mulberrysilk Fri 09-Feb-18 23:56:42

That's should read two dogs, not 2 ds

Tinysarah1985 Sat 10-Feb-18 04:50:40

I hear you OP. I look and feel a constant mess, makes me even worse when i see the local female dog walkers who have perfect make up, hair and smart clothes and clean dogs- and then I rock up, with dirty walking boots, muddy walkig trousers, my hair scraped back and a bit of mascara, with The dog is covered in mud. I know they judge me as when my oh takes the dog out they have even said to him how i need to make more of an effort!!

VeggieforJan Sat 10-Feb-18 09:30:07

Tiny I bet your dog is having more fun though! And what horrible people for telling your husband that.

Why perhaps try for a smarter version of what you usually wear? A pair of indigo jeans in a flattering cut. Do you wear 'country' clothes brands such as Joules or Seasalt? It's a cliche (that I wear) but a well fitting Breton top. These are also easy to wash with a toddler about!

Honeycombcrunch Sat 10-Feb-18 09:45:27

People who say anything nasty are probably jealous that your DH loves you as you are!

I'm generally scruffy but I've found wearing a brightly coloured scarf (from my local market stall!) in a colour that suits me brightens up my pasty complexion immediately even without makeup.

whymewhyme Sat 10-Feb-18 17:03:16

@VeggieforJan yes I do wear joules, I'm just a total scruff! Thank you for everyone's replies! You've all given me lots to look into!

villainousbroodmare Sat 10-Feb-18 17:07:32

I also read that comment wrongly... wondered where the OP said that she is struggling with her pony grin

Tinysarah1985 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:41:48

Veggieforjan- they can be pretty nasty, i’m very warey of one lady in particular as she is always texting my oh (long story for another thread) and she is exactly the type my oh went for before we got married.
But I’m starting to get back to ‘me’ in that i’ve just started going to the gym and want to get back in shape. Hell i’ve even booked to get my hair cut next werk.

whymewhyme Sat 10-Feb-18 23:22:48

@Tinysarah1985 go girl!! Tonight I fake tanned, my friend did my nails ( gel) I did a face mask and hair mask! I feel like new lol btw I do have problems with my big pony being scruffy lol he loves the mud!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: