Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Rhodium plating a gold ring

(5 Posts)
AnneLovesGilbert Fri 09-Feb-18 20:03:38

I've inherited a ring, 9ct gold, big coloured stone but no idea what it is. I don't wear yellow gold but it's a gorgeous thing and I think I'd wear it on my right hand occasionally if it was plated. I've read it needs redoing if you wear it everyday but I wouldn't because of the size, so more for dressing up every now and then.

Has anyone done this?

TheBeastInMsRooneysRoom Fri 09-Feb-18 20:10:11

Check allergies first. I thought I was fine with rhodium plating and just got more and more sensitive until the ring was unwearable. Apparently it's not rare.

Luckycatsplat Fri 09-Feb-18 20:10:17

Would it be better/cheaper to have it reset in a silver band?

AnneLovesGilbert Fri 09-Feb-18 20:40:18

My wedding rings are white gold, so they must be rhodium plated I think and I'm fine with them, but good tip Beast. Did you swap your rings for others in different metal?

It might be, but it's the whole design I like and it's old so I don't really want to reset it. Having said that, I don't know how respectful to the thing plating it would be anyway grin

But I'm more likely to wear it if it's not yellow gold.

donners312 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:05:35

i ve had loads of rings dippedvincluding very expensive ones.

Never had a problem but it wasn't done in the uk so i guess take t to an independent jeweler and ask how much. its very simple to do and in theory shouldn't cost much.

Enjoy your ring!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: