Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Is the joules coast jacket frumpy

(54 Posts)
Whwhywhy Fri 09-Feb-18 18:00:28

I need a light waterproof summer jacket for holidays. I’ll then use as a summer jacket. Is this a fully frumpy choice?

pinkhorse Fri 09-Feb-18 18:08:12

Depends how old you are. My mum in her fifties would say this was too old for her.

Mulberrysilk Fri 09-Feb-18 18:09:01

Not necessarily so. It depends on how you carry it off.

Whwhywhy Fri 09-Feb-18 18:32:06

I’m a decade off 50!

Depressing.

I’d look like a tool if I tried to look cool rolling up my sleeves and ripping my jeans. People would say, “oh there goes why in her standard mum wear but she’s seems to have had an accident getting dressed.”

Butterfly1975 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:23:43

Had nothing but compliments on mine from people young and old! Not a huge Joules fan but I really love my coast jacket!

WeeM Fri 09-Feb-18 19:43:14

Yeah I’m on the fence i think. I think it could look good depending how you wear it. I quite the fisherman style ones. I really like this one but not sure I could pull it off!
www.petit-bateau.co.uk/e-shop/product/22247/O32/iconic-women-s-raincoat.html

iMatter Fri 09-Feb-18 19:46:54

The person in that picture is Trying Too Hard.

That whole combo looks ridiculous

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 09-Feb-18 19:48:34

she seems to have had an accident getting dressed gringringrin I love it when someone more witty puts into words how I feel!

Jammycustard Fri 09-Feb-18 19:48:35

I sold mine for this exact reason. I’m a 40 year old mother of three, but that’s what I saw when I caught myself in a shop mirror. Also, it wasn’t really waterproof.

MyKingdomForBrie Fri 09-Feb-18 19:49:30

wee that’s poo coloured! Why is it iconic precisely??

MrsDilber Fri 09-Feb-18 19:52:06

Not keen on the brown one for any age.

Blankscreen Fri 09-Feb-18 19:52:18

Try the Danish make Rains for a nice waterproof jacket

WeeM Fri 09-Feb-18 19:55:29

I love a bit of khaki lol! But it comes in lots of colours...I quite like the yellow one. Someone I know had it and she looked great in it...just not sure I would pull it off!

WeeM Fri 09-Feb-18 19:55:48

No idea why it’s iconic though!

Sgtmajormummy Fri 09-Feb-18 19:56:27

I nearly bought one for DD because she looked ridiculously cute in it, like Paddington Bear. And £100 was over my budget.

A 13yo PB lookalike is fine, but a 40 yo, not so much.

barefoofdoctor Fri 09-Feb-18 19:59:25

I've found all Joules wet weather gear to be completely non waterproof and you'd hardly buy it to pose in so not entirely sure of the point of It?!

EnidButton Fri 09-Feb-18 20:03:46

Roy Cropper was what I instantly thought of when I saw that petit bateau one. Not sure he even wears a brown mac but it has that vibe.

Don't think I'd wear the Joules one myself but it's quite nice. Not going to win any fashion awards but a lot of it is context, where will it be worn, are you rural or city, what would you wear it with, that kind of thing.

If you're walking through Windermere to buy some bread and coffee from Booths then it'd look good.

Whwhywhy Fri 09-Feb-18 20:23:49

I wanted a lightweight waterproof to take on holiday. I live in a small city and would wear on school run with skinnies, trainers/ankle boots, and t shirt. Inspired eh!

I wondered about the red

donners312 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:13:57

well yes it is mumsy/frumpy but sometimes you need that kind of look when watching football or walking the dog etc.

Theres nothing wrong with it but i doubt men are going to fall at your feet if that is your intention?

CountFosco Fri 09-Feb-18 21:16:25

I've got a red one. It looks much better now I'm not overweight, the frump sets in as the dimensions widen. In my experience it is very waterproof (tested standing in a field in the north of Scotland while it rained for 6 hours) but it does depend on your lifestyle. For holidaying in rural Scotland it is considered rather fancy, and it's fine in my northern country town when it's raining but for a city break? No way.

EnidButton Fri 09-Feb-18 21:58:54

For a shower proof anorak/mac it's nice. I think S&B can get a bit obsessed with not looking 'like a Mum' or whatever it's called but sometimes I think that's fine. There's a lot of things between cool fashion and frumpy, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

I think you should get it and try it on with a couple of things and then decide.

Whwhywhy Fri 09-Feb-18 22:27:26

I’m going to a theme park! No city break for me.

hipposinacircle Sat 10-Feb-18 10:02:13

I don't shop in Joules usually but I love my red coast jacket for the school run.

autumncountryrose Sat 10-Feb-18 10:04:22

I’ve got the red one - I’m 26!

I find it perfect for a lightweight jacket for drizzly days, and I’ve had loads of compliments on it.

I guess it depends how you style it?

AllButterShortbread Sat 10-Feb-18 10:16:27

It was too short for me but I didn’t feel frumpy in it. Slightly mumsy maybe but I don’t care about that. I’m 40 and a mum. Bite me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: