Talk

Advanced search

Can I go icy blonde?

(25 Posts)
1wokeuplikethis Fri 09-Feb-18 12:36:36

Do you think it would be hard to go from this dark blonde to light blonde? What would the upkeep be like? Has anyone gone icy? My roots and underneath are dark brown. My hair is thick and long and I have a blunt fringe, naturally wavy/mad. Feels like a bold move. But I'm feeling bold.

halfwitpicker Fri 09-Feb-18 13:06:54

You should be fine I reckon. What's your skin tone and eyes like?

1wokeuplikethis Fri 09-Feb-18 13:55:22

Pale skin and green eyes.
I'm not sure but thought perhaps if I could get it done in one visit, if it was too cold I could go back a few weeks later and get it warmed up again.

Does anyone know if this can be done in one visit? Would it be a lot of bleach?

scampiesandchips Fri 09-Feb-18 14:17:31

I have the hair colour of the freaky head model on your first picture grin

My hair was previously a light brown / dark blonde with some red undertones don't ask. It was a process to get to the grey ash blonde I am now, and yes, it involves bleach. I have half head of bleach highlights, then tone using Fudge clean blonde shampoo.

I have to be really careful how I treat my hair as obviously bleach wrecks it. I use Redken Extreme shampoo before the Fudge stuff and only wash it twice a week. I absolutely love how it looks and get a lot of compliments on the colour, but it's high maintenance.

alternate Fri 09-Feb-18 14:23:08

I’ve just had mine done in one session. It is naturally dark brown but it’s been lightened gradually over the past year. From dark brown a few years ago it took 2 or 3 goes and about 6 hours.

What I would recommend is finding someone who uses Olaplex as it’s amazing at preventing too much damage.

Upkeep - I’m not yet sure. Mine’s only a week old so I need to research.

1wokeuplikethis Fri 09-Feb-18 14:27:43

Hmm well I only wash it twice a week anyway, and years ago I used to have full head of bleach 😱 Which went a horrible orangey colour over time (before blue shampoo was available!) so maybe that would help, but the purple shampoo I used a couple of years ago when I was blonder made it greasy and lank and took about 6 months to clean out fully. Hmmm. Any shampoo/cond that has to be left on for x amount of minutes seems to turn my hair into a greaseball.

I use low shampoo now, for damaged/dry hair. Just the garnier one. Is there anything else I could use? Do you have any pics of your hair scampie & alternate? Would love to see!

SheepySheepy Fri 09-Feb-18 14:29:25

I'm a similar colour to you and have been trying to get to this for last few visits through balayage... about to swap hairdresser as not sure why it's not there yet.

scampiesandchips Fri 09-Feb-18 14:39:41

I used to suffer from really greasy hair, too. What you have to remember is that bleach dries the hair so this becomes less of an issue. I have no problems with the Redken or Fudge shampoos I've been using; there's been no build up whatsoever.

I'm trying to send you a pic via PM but not sure how to do it?! Don't want to publicly out myself grin

SweetChickadee Fri 09-Feb-18 14:46:27

I'm fair skin, green eyes and went this colour 4 weeks ago from boring brown. Naturally dark blonde/grey.

I bloody love it. Also had lots of compliments. Hair is short, washed every day with purple shampoo and conditioner.

Being short I have to have it cut and coloured every 6 weeks anyway.

1wokeuplikethis Fri 09-Feb-18 16:01:11

Ooh have you got a photo Chick? You sound similar to me. I'm going to google icy blonde, definitely feel that way inclined now. Also fancy getting it chopped, it's down to my (droopy) boobs at the mo but not had it cut for over 6 months so will prob need a fair bit chopped off anyway.

I'm not sure how to send photos on pm scampie, can you edit on your phone to block out your face and then post? I'm so nosy.

Is the fudge stuff expensive? I don't mind if it keeps my hair looking good and washing only twice a week the bottle should last a while.

SheepySheepy Fri 09-Feb-18 16:03:41

Sweet can I ask did you have highlights or like one colour all over dye to get it that pale?

SweetChickadee Fri 09-Feb-18 16:07:55

all one colour - headful of bleach for best part of an hour, then toner to take out the brassiness and purple nonsense for a bit too. Was silver when I left the salon grin

Not gonna lie, had a bit of an irritated scalp for a day or two afterwards, but then fine

can't do photos, sorry blush but it's a like this

hair

1wokeuplikethis Fri 09-Feb-18 16:58:29

My hairdresser says she can't do it all in one go ☹️ Says she can get it as white as poss but will need to be built up over time. Boooooo. But I'm sort of set on it now so in for the long haul.

Would dark roots look awful with that colour?

1wokeuplikethis Fri 09-Feb-18 16:58:53

Btw that's lovely scampie, I'm jealous!

SweetChickadee Fri 09-Feb-18 18:51:09

I'll let you know in a few months about the roots grin.

I went this colour to grow it out to see what colour I am naturally. I know my roots were silver when it was brown so they will prob look darker now it's so light.

But I figure better that than a big silver badger stripe. I'm surprised how much I like it this colour though, so gonna keep it for a little bit.

1wokeuplikethis Fri 09-Feb-18 22:18:29

Ah I'm envious! When I get an idea in my head I want to do it, I'm disappointed to have to wait longer to get it perfect. I showed my husband these pics and he said he doesn't like it, well...oh well! I do!

My roots will come through really dark, but hopefully I can style it out and if it gets too high maintenance I can warm it up again.

EnidButton Fri 09-Feb-18 22:27:24

I love that colour. Always a bit envious when I see it in real life. I have dark brunette hair so it'd take a lot to get it myself and god knows what the upkeep would be like! So I think you should go for it. It wouldn't be that big a change either.

Bear in mind when searching etc, hair colourists call what looks like light/mid brown hair, 'dark blonde'. I'd guess they'd say your hair was mid blonde? Don't think it matters though.

RarelyInfallible Sat 10-Feb-18 01:13:53

I went from dark brown to ice blonde in one day. It took 3 lots of bleach. The first go it came out bright orange and I looked like Johnny Rotten. The second go was custard yellow and the third took it to ice blonde. I think it took about 7 hours! It’s been that way for 2.5 years now and roots just take one go. I always have olaplex and I rarely shampoo my hair, just purple conditioner daily. It’s short and spiky so doesn’t get too dry.

JanetStWalker Sat 10-Feb-18 01:37:23

I love it, makes ordinary blondes look dated and frumpy in comparison. My hair has way too much warmth to ever get that icy <sobs>

userofthiswebsite Sat 10-Feb-18 12:10:31

That's funny, I was searching up pictures of platinum last night thinking of making the switch. Hair currently blonde highlights but not looking all that great right now.
I am super pale so it wouldn't look weird on my skin at least.

jellycrumble Sat 10-Feb-18 13:29:53

I'd say it wouldn't be too much trouble - I went from medium brown to light brown with blonde highlights, the next time I sat in her chair I said I wanted a drastic change - she did the whole head in stages (but in one sitting) it went orange then yellow then she toned the crap out of it and it worked! I'll admit I've not been to have it done since October (due to various reasons!) so it's currently a sort of pale blonde colour with masses of roots blushI usually maintain it with purple shampoos and a once a month treatment (I forgot the name you buy it in Superdrug) but not done it for ages, it looks nice but I can't wait to go back to that icy look! Here's some pics (sorry they're not great)

SheepySheepy Sat 10-Feb-18 15:17:11

Looks great jelly! I like it with the roots...

SukiTheDog Sat 10-Feb-18 15:20:07

Yes, you can but...

Takes hours to do
Upkeep is expensive
It’ll ruin your hair .... straw springs to mind

I wouldn’t, if I were you.

SheepySheepy Sun 11-Feb-18 11:49:31

I've had mine bleached a lot in the last year, and it's fine and curly. I'm more of a golden blonde than a platinum so think I need some more toning, but it has had very minimal straw like effect which I was surprised by!

SukiTheDog Sun 11-Feb-18 12:45:09

For that platinum effect, all natural colour needs to be stripped out, the bleach doesn’t give a platinum effect, it’s the toner that does that. My hairdresser refused to do mine as although I have highlights, I can’t be arsed with management of it so, she rightly said “you’ll hate it, and the expense of upkeep, very quickly”. Why not go for different tones of high/lowlights? Not necessarily like mine, at mid50’s I’d just look old-lady-like with white hair but it will be healthier with tones rather than ful on bleach/stripping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now