Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Any hairdressers out there?

(9 Posts)
Needsleepnow87 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:15:47

I naturally have ginger/strawberry blonde hair but have it dyed dark brown.

I fancy a change and want to go dark blonde or as light as I can get it.

What do I need to do? Don’t want to go to Salon btw.

Based on a YouTube video (5M views) I can just put a L’Oreal preference colour box dye (light blonde) on but add some red brass colour corrector to dye.

Will this work? Or do I need to bleach hair first?

Needsleepnow87 Fri 09-Feb-18 13:10:16

Anyone?

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Fri 09-Feb-18 14:30:50

Why don't you want to go to a salon? Your better off getting it done professionally. If money is an issue most salons do training evenings or local colleges need clients.

Crazyladee Fri 09-Feb-18 14:35:11

I wouldn't risk any of the home box dyes to be honest. I learned the hard way many years ago, having naturally auburn hair too. I ended up with blue tinged hair that was wrecked.

Let the professionals do it for you.

barefoofdoctor Sat 10-Feb-18 15:52:31

Youd need to strip the brown with colour B4 or similar then see what colour you are left with. Probably be orange. Maybe bleach all/highlights to get as near as possible to your natural shade then get a colour lift at a salon. Home stripping/colouring of this nature is fine as long as you have a nice hat for the middle stage (between colour B4 and dying), good condition hair and are prepared to go for the chop if if all goes horribly wrong!

schmagetti Sat 10-Feb-18 16:40:53

I'm not a hairdresser, I do my hair all the time though. Google Scott Cornwall for good advice.

I would use:
Decolour or Decolour Stripper

The former just removes colour to what your natural hair is (this may be lighter or more brassy than you expect due to bleaches in box colours you've used). I've used this and works v well.

Decolour Stripper also uses bleach to lighten your hair. It removes colour and bleaches it lighter.

Then you need a colour. Use a LIGHTER colour than you want as it'll come up much darker. If you can bear to leave it 24 hours in between the decolour and new box this is better.

Choose a colour with Ash in the title to neutralise brassy tones. Also purple shampoos or violet/blue toners are great. If you're going for blonde - purple toner to remove orange, if your hair is brown with red tones you need a blue toner to remove the brass.

Good luck!

schmagetti Sat 10-Feb-18 16:42:12

Don't use anything that says warm or golden. You want cool or ash. Nice n easy semi permanent colours are great for after decolour - lots of ash tones. Remember at least 2 shades lighter than you want!

Needsleepnow87 Sat 10-Feb-18 16:52:40

Thanks schmagetti, I think I will do as you say! Where can I find these decolour things? Superdrug or boots? What brand is best?

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Sat 10-Feb-18 16:59:15

If you've got long hair use Colour B4 a much better coverage than Scott Cornwall. Follow the instructions to the letter. You will have an end result of orange hair. DO NOT recolour with a permanent colour because it will reoxidise and go dark again.
I'm an ex hairdresser and have removed my hair colour many a time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: