Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Since using SLS & silicone free, my hair is a stiff mass when I use straighteners

(10 Posts)
HarperFrannie Fri 09-Feb-18 09:39:04

I've been using silicone and sulphate free shampoo and conditioner for around 3 or 4 weeks now. My hair feels dryer, which I did kind-of expect with the loss of coating and product build up, but now when I use hair straighteners, even on a low heat setting, the section of hair I've just straightened (or attempted to curl) hardens into a solid section, which I then have to brush out.

Do I just need to stick it out? Does it take a while for the condition to improve? I wash my hair around 3 or 4 times a week.

Silverstreaks Fri 09-Feb-18 15:15:08

I think what happens with long term silicone use and the high heat from straighteners is that the silicone becomes bonded to the hair. Usually a heat protector is used which is normally silicone based so gives the illusion of smooth hair follicles but is just adding to the problem.
There may be a work around. Hopefully someone can give you some info.

Silverstreaks Fri 09-Feb-18 15:16:07

* not follicles - shaft.

HarperFrannie Fri 09-Feb-18 18:53:18

Thanks Silver. So I guess make sure to avoid heat protection products with silicone in them. I'll up the conditioning treatments as well!

PNGirl Sat 10-Feb-18 08:10:18

If you use sulfate and silicone-free shampoo and conditioner, your styling products and anything else touching your hair must also be silicone free, otherwise there are no sulfates to wash them out (this is the gimmick behind clarifying shampoo). You get a thick coating of them on your hair within a short time.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sat 10-Feb-18 10:45:33

I'd go back to using silicone if I was you! I love the stuff and it makes my hair look and feel a million times better. It's possible to avoid build up by stripping out the silicone every 10 days or so with Vosene shampoo or similar.

I don't think silicone is the bad guy for everyone- it depends on your hair type. Going silicone free definitely helps if you're wearing your hair curly.
IME, the results of using straighteners is greatly improved by using silicone products- each strand is coated which will protect your hair from heat damage and give a smoother shinier result.

HarperFrannie Sat 10-Feb-18 11:24:52

I've just discovered that one of the products I've been using has silicone in it, under a long chemical name so I hadn't realised. I'll try omitting that one and see how I get on now!

Haffiana Sat 10-Feb-18 17:12:12

I second going back to using silicone. It has its uses. Experiment for yourself.

GummyGoddess Sat 10-Feb-18 17:15:18

Have you been using extra conditioner? If your hair isn't coated (or coated as much as you've still been using one product) but you're still using straighteners then you're going to be drying it out a bit.

DoneDisappeared Sat 10-Feb-18 17:19:09

I when I went silicone free I cut off a lot of damaged hair, it was a lot better after that.

BUT if silicones work for you go for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: