Talk

Advanced search

Another should I chop it all off thread...

(25 Posts)
McDougal Thu 08-Feb-18 18:20:49

I've been thinking of going short for a while. I have really thin hair and not all that much of it. So maybe chin length but not layered as I've been told by a previous hairdresser that this can make thin hair look even thinner?

I've (hopefully) attached a photo which I've anonymised badly so you can see my face shape as that seems to be important when making these life changing decisions grin

It might just be a case of being bored with the same hairstyle I've had for a long, long time. I'm early 30's and happy to spend some time making it look decent on a morning so what say you S & B experts?

DavetheCat2001 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:31:44

What about a longish wavy bob like this?

Looks like it would suit your hair and face shape.

McDougal Thu 08-Feb-18 18:34:08

I love that style, Dave, but I'm not sure if I have enough hair to achieve it!

I'd worry that I'd have to really work to get any volume into it which is something I struggle with now but could be the weight as it's longer?

I feel so clueless when it comes to hair sad

MaryLennoxsScowl Thu 08-Feb-18 22:18:16

Would you be up for a pixie cut? I have fine, thin hair, and a pixie cut made my hair look thickest. (My face is too round for one though - yours looks a much better shape with a defined jawline!) I currently have an attempt at the hair in that photo but not purple, but my issue is that my hair is poker straight so I never get the cute curls. I do think mine looks thicker when blunt cut though.

Fosterdog123 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:22:48

I think your hair looks fab as it is <helpful>

bettydraper31 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:25:04

I have very fine hair too, and every time I’ve cut it I’ve regretted it. I just don’t have thick enough hair to give it any volume, it needs to be longer to give it any kind of shape/style. I’ve only just learned this lesson as I’m currently growing it out for the final time. I think it looks nice as it is!

Atalune Thu 08-Feb-18 22:27:25

I wouldn’t cut it.

Glitteryfrog Thu 08-Feb-18 22:30:31

Cut it!
What's the worst that'll happen? You'll spend a few months growing it.

franktheskank Thu 08-Feb-18 22:36:32

I'd say cut a few inches but not mega short, not above collarbone.

It really doesn't look thin, I have quite thin hair, from too many hair extensions which is a viscous cycle! But yours looks thicker than mine does without my extensions in.

HitsAndMrs Thu 08-Feb-18 22:39:23

Random but are you in a weaver house? 😊

MargotLovedTom1 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:46:50

Yes, I can see that it is fine and flat on the top. As pp said, would you be up for a choppy pixie cut?

Sugarpiehoneyeye Thu 08-Feb-18 22:58:32

How about cutting a few inches off, just a straight blunt cut.
Have you thought about colour change.
I actually like your hair, as it is. It looks easy to manage, always a bonus, plus you can wear it up, tie it back etc..

Heliophilous Thu 08-Feb-18 22:58:53

Chop. I have fine hair and a similar face shape and it looks so much better (and thicker) short.

Ivymaud Thu 08-Feb-18 23:07:35

Similar to sugarpie, I'd say get a trim and go and talk to the hairdresser about colours if you want a change.
I was going to suggest a perm, the lose sort, so I'm probably best ignored.

McDougal Thu 08-Feb-18 23:16:27

Thank you for all of your suggestions! There seems to be a mixed bag of responses.

Pixie cuts terrify me as, for some reason, I always think you'd need to be breathtakingly beautiful to pull it off. I also like having something to hide behind if I'm having a crap face day.

I need to find a good hairdresser who will give me an honest opinion, don't I? I'm yet to find one that I really clicked with since moving a few years ago so I'm still on the hunt!

Hits, I don't know what a weaver house is but I hope it's positive smile.

Ivy, I've always been curious about a perm so don't tempt me grin

McDougal Thu 08-Feb-18 23:16:55

Oh and thank you for the compliments too smile

RoseWhiteTips Fri 09-Feb-18 12:25:23

No no no to a pixie cut.

OldPony Fri 09-Feb-18 13:20:46

Please no to a pixie cut. Your hair is pretty.

You can put hairspray on your fingers, rub it into the roots of your hair and hair dry upside down. Apparently that's what Kate Moss does!

McDougal Fri 09-Feb-18 13:50:27

I've never heard about that too so I'll give it a try, oldpony!

I'll probably do what I usually do...dither for a few weeks then get a trim grin

VeggieforJan Fri 09-Feb-18 14:26:03

What about trying a fringe? It would look fab with your hair at collarbone length.

VioletCharlotte Fri 09-Feb-18 14:29:10

I think your hair looks lovely as it is. I really like the style Davethecat posted, but I'd imagine it takes a lot of work to get it like this. My hair's a similar length to yours and I've always regretted it when I've had it cut. Maybe go for a colour change or highlights instead?

McDougal Fri 09-Feb-18 15:02:15

I've had a fringe before, Veggie, but it takes so much from the body of my hair that it looks even thinner. I did love it though so it's a maybe.

I usually go lighter for spring/summer, violet, so that might stop me thinking I need a drastic change!

Frankiewears Fri 09-Feb-18 15:29:46

I would cut it as that length is doing you no favours. Your face would suit these and they would work with your hair texture.....

Eolian Fri 09-Feb-18 15:37:49

Watching with interest. Mine is a little shorter than yours, OP, looks thinner and is mousy and poker straight. I've been toying with the idea of a layered longish bob. Definitely no fringe here - they need trimming every 5 mins and do no favours for my face shape.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 09-Feb-18 16:44:57

That short style is lovely Frankie, I think it would suit you OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now