Talk

Advanced search

Broken leg & ingrown hairs... (help but possibly TMI!)

(15 Posts)
EatSleepRantRepeat Thu 08-Feb-18 17:04:34

I've had my leg cast removed a couple of days ago after 6 weeks, and the leg is covered in dead skin which is taking a while to come off. I also have lots of ingrown hairs due to being unable to shed the dead skin, and I can't wax for a while yet either as the skin is quite tender.

Does anyone have any recommendations for gentle exfoliants or other solutions for the ingrown hairs? I've tried my usual face scrub, which has gotten some of the skin off but done nothing for the hair. Thanks!

Lifeofpies Thu 08-Feb-18 20:23:34

Hope your leg is recovering well! Itโ€™s so odd when they come out of a cast.

How about dry brushing? I do it daily to help prevent ingrown hairs, but not sure how good it is for already properly ingrown ones.

HeyMacWey Thu 08-Feb-18 20:42:04

How about those exfoliating gloves?
Tend skin is supposed to be good but I've never used it.
You could try using a dab of any bha toner as this is supposed to help too.

EatSleepRantRepeat Thu 08-Feb-18 23:45:14

Thanks so much life and hey - both great ideas I hadn't thought of! Will take a look on the boots website and see if I can get some gloves and a brush (double whammy can't hurt... grin

SpitefulMidLifeAnimal Thu 08-Feb-18 23:45:52

Tend Skin is marvellous for ingrown hairs. I get mine from Ebay, Amazon probably do it too.

Do you have any aspirin at home? If you need some immediate relief, I'm thinking some sort of aspirin/water paste left on the leg for a while might help, the salicyclic acid acts as an exfoliant.

treeofhearts Thu 08-Feb-18 23:51:49

I used a loofah and a pin and tweezers on my arm. Loofah stripped the dead skin off then I went at all the ingrown hairs one at a time with the pin and tweezers.

Lucked Fri 09-Feb-18 00:00:22

If you buy a heel balm for hard skin that should soften it and it will rub off.

Pannacott Fri 09-Feb-18 01:32:55

The easiest thing is probably just to sit in the bath for an hour or so with your leg underwater. The dead dry skin will soften and can then just easily be scraped off. It will be a bit gross. There will be a lot of it. Then gentle moisturising after as it will be tender.

Starlight7777 Fri 09-Feb-18 01:47:07

Buff puff swear by them. You can get them from Boots, or you can use the exfoliator in the tanning section, which is a double buff puff and cheaperwink

EatSleepRantRepeat Fri 09-Feb-18 18:38:11

Well I never knew that about aspirin! I love Mumsnet for this, it's felt a bit rubbish recovering at home with only DH to help me have a basic shower (although he tries his best!). Thank you all for all of your ideas and best wishes, I'm going to give as many a go as possible given I don't have much to do while I'm healing up. On the plus side I've had loads of time to have a clear out of my beauty stash - might have a look at the suggestions for new stuff in the most recent threads while I'm at it... smile

BanjoStarz Fri 09-Feb-18 21:24:34

I second the bath.

I ended up in a full leg cast (hip to toes) for three months - I literally spent two hours in the bath the day it came off and then just scrapped the dead skin gunk off...it was nasty but effective ๐Ÿ˜ท๐Ÿ˜ท๐Ÿ˜ท

YouWereRight Fri 09-Feb-18 22:00:57

I use a pumice stone and soak in the bath on my legs.

Girlwhowearsglasses Fri 09-Feb-18 22:06:58

You need Korean exfoliating mitts - as recommended by Mumsnet!

They are ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

www.amazon.co.uk/Korean-Italy-Towel-Exfoliating-Washcloth/dp/B00LGLOKLM?tag=mumsnetforum-21

EatSleepRantRepeat Sat 10-Feb-18 11:47:24

Goodness Banjostars you're making me feel quite fortunate with just one leg cast! Hope you're well now and suffering no ill effects!

EatSleepRantRepeat Sat 10-Feb-18 11:50:39

I dont have a bath unfortunately and most of the local hotels just have showers as well - I'm cursing my tiny bathroom but a proper soaking in a long shower is starting to do the trick (plus peeling the dead skin off in front of the telly, gross but satisfying)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now