Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Clueless - please tell me how to dress!

(5 Posts)
Pintofwine99 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:11:22

A good friend is generously taking me out for a bottomless brunch in London. She is gorgeous, tall, slim and always dressed wonderfully. I’m 5ft 3 and completely clueless about fashion. I had a baby 4 months ago and it will be my first time away from baby and my toddler. Would love to enjoy the day and not feel self conscious and frumpy next to her!! Can anybody give me smart casual outfit suggestions or even a pointer towards what I should be aiming for? Or websites that I can get inspiration from? If it helps I’m 30 and a size 8 but all my pre pregnancy clothes make me look frumpy because my boobs are so huge from breastfeeding....I’m also terrible at accessorising if anyone can offer advice there. Thanks in advance - I really wish I was one of those people who just know what looks effortlessly we’ll put together.

BubblesBuddy Thu 08-Feb-18 16:26:19

Mint Velvet might be for you. Try skinny jeans, ankle boots with a heel and a roomy sweater or a casual top. It’s the Mint Velvet signature look. Slouchy bag to finish the look.

I would try and avoid Mumsy but a lot of people like Saltwater for the laid back Cornwall look! Is that you? Boden is a bit cliched but you could look st their web site for inspiration.

I really like Massimo Dutti. (Zara’s grown up cousin). They use better fabrics and do classic clothes you will get plenty of wear from. You would easily match your friend wearing their clothes. They have good look books. Happy shopping!

BubblesBuddy Thu 08-Feb-18 16:28:16

Also M Dutti are not around as much as some other brands and they do great accesssories. All in one shop to make it easy.

Swimminguphill Thu 08-Feb-18 16:56:42

It kind of depends what ‘put together’ means to you. I agree about the boots but I wonder whether some slouchier jeans in black or grey feel less mumsy than skinnies. Agree about the oversized top, not sure about mint velvet as I don’t shop there but &otherstories have great knitwear I loved the angora pieces they had earlier in the season e.g. this is very chic or this if you’re feeling brave and I love this look with a white shirt underneath and maybe gold hoops and a simple gold necklace. The good news is that slouchy and oversized is very current and, I would say, chic.

BubblesBuddy Thu 08-Feb-18 17:22:19

I know loads of Mums shop at Mint Velvet but it’s very different to Saltwater, for example. I tend to think they are Mumsy extreme! I also thought a classic cashmere pullover with jeans is perennially chic. Necklace and bag and it’s easy to wear and will last.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: