Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Should I go for the chop????

(104 Posts)
QueenOfSpades6 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:22:56

I’m getting my hair done next week. It’s not looking great (not been done for 6 months). I always have my hair long and have the hairdresser do balayage (blonde) in with my natural colour (red).

I’m considering getting quite a lot off. I did it once when I was 20, I’m 29 now. I really, really regretted it last time but I’m a lot older now. What should I do? Am I having a moment of madness? Please help!

QueenOfSpades6 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:26:37

I sometimes wear it curled. Here’s a pic in better lighting when the blonde was more blonde.

BeachOrPool Thu 08-Feb-18 15:27:28

No! Please leave it as it is OP

Long hair really suits you smile

In my opinion, a short style wouldn't look as nice

QueenOfSpades6 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:28:54

Thanks BeachOrPool!

I just get bored but can’t think of anything new I can do with it.

BeachOrPool Thu 08-Feb-18 15:30:02

I understand getting bored since I too have long hair and sometimes have an urge for a restyle

But I know the reality is I would regret it sad

Then again, it is only hair that grows back!

Looks gorgeous though so I wouldn't cut if I were you

Fosterdog123 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:32:51

Leave it as it is - it's gorgeous! You're not a lot older either. You're 29! A mere whippersnapper.

QueenOfSpades6 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:48:28

Thanks everyone. Any suggestions for a subtle change. I’ve had my hair this length/style for 7 years 😫

Bluntness100 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:50:48

God. No, you've gorgeous hair. You'll regret it again. Keep. It long.

Greenglassteacup Thu 08-Feb-18 16:15:35

Agree with other posters, your hair is lovely, leave it alone OP!!

Pintofwine99 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:24:07

I’m with everyone else - keep the lengtg while you can! Would you change the colour instead of the length? Maybe take the blonde a lot higher (but still balayage)? I think it would suit you and freshen the whole look up.

CandyYumYum Thu 08-Feb-18 16:24:37

Well I'll be the voice of dissent and say I think you should lob a few inches off. It looks quite lank in the first photo as though the length is dragging any kind of movement out of it.

VeggieforJan Thu 08-Feb-18 17:25:37

I love Holly Willoughbys hair since she got it cut to just below shoulder length, much more modern. Perhaps go to boob length?

Jenala Thu 08-Feb-18 17:30:01

Your hair is lovely. However if you want a change a blunt long bob suits lots of people. I had it done recently after having long hair my whole life and love it so much. It needs a totally blunt cut, slightly shorter at the back but all one length, no layers. Makes it look so full and thick and you can put a tiny bit of volumising powder through when you want more.

Sinistrophobia Thu 08-Feb-18 17:32:16

Your hair is amazing!

Aridane Thu 08-Feb-18 17:41:51

OP - listen to this thread and not those posters on AIBU telling you to go for a bob!

CandyYumYum Thu 08-Feb-18 17:47:35

She doesn't need to go for a bob but that really long hair looks a bit dated in my opinion.

neveradullmoment99 Thu 08-Feb-18 17:51:08

A bob is boring! Everyone has a bloody bob.

NotAnotherEmma Thu 08-Feb-18 17:51:51

Buy a nice short natural looking wig to see how you'd like it or it may just curb the desire to cut it. I use to wear a short wig whenever I got the crazy urge to cut mine cuz I always regret cutting it.

neveradullmoment99 Thu 08-Feb-18 17:53:40

You have lovely hair. Just get it shaped a bit off it. You could go to shoulder length and it will look lovely.

gamerpigeon Thu 08-Feb-18 17:55:19

I cut my hair from waist length to collarbone because I was planning to have a baby and I thought it would get in the way - i miss my long hair sad

Marvellousmarge Thu 08-Feb-18 17:56:32

Not a bob no!! Its stunning - I cant bear bobs - the ubiquitous style of the middle aged woman!!

TimesNewRoman Thu 08-Feb-18 18:04:37

I say go boob length or a little shorter and see how you feel then before going for THE chop.

TheBakeryQueen Thu 08-Feb-18 18:07:41

It's lovely, try a different colour if you fancy a change.

GreeboIsMySpiritAnimal Thu 08-Feb-18 18:13:00

I really wouldn't OP, and I say that as someone who has short hair and loves it. 'Tis beautiful as it is.

SukiTheDog Thu 08-Feb-18 18:16:24

It’s lovely...a trim at most!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: