Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Earrings and necklaces for short hair - help me treat myself!

(39 Posts)
ilovecherries Thu 08-Feb-18 12:32:17

I've had my hair in a shoulder length bob for years but I have finally accepted that the alopecia that's dogged me off and on for decades is winning, and I recently embraced wigs. It's been a revelation to me to be able to concentrate on other things rather than scalp make up, careful styled hair glued into place with cans of hairspray etc

One of the (ahem, several!) wigs I've bought is a pixie cut and I'm loving it. In fact, it's becoming my throw-on wig, it's so easy to wear. But I've no idea how to do jewellery around it. For years I've worn simple studs just to keep the holes open and a very plain, fine 18 inch silver chain round my neck. The last thing I wanted was to direct anyone's attention to my head. I've got the budget for decent costume jewellery but no idea what would work with short hair. I'm 5'7, cool colouring and fairly well endowed of chest. I wear a lot of Hush to give you an idea of style.

Please help me shop smile

AjasLipstick Thu 08-Feb-18 12:58:53

www.etsy.com/au/search?q=modern+silver+earrings&as_prefix=modern+silver+&locationQuery=2635167

Bet you find something here.

ilovecherries Thu 08-Feb-18 13:03:38

Some of these are gorgeous, lipstick. So do you think I can go for big earring with a bit of dangle with short hair?

littlebillie Fri 09-Feb-18 18:01:16

Show me your wig!

ilovecherries Fri 09-Feb-18 18:10:53

grin littlebillie Here you are.

mercurymaze Fri 09-Feb-18 18:12:49

I really like the earrings at Oliver bonas they're a bit different

Btw your hair looks great

Kenworthington Fri 09-Feb-18 18:16:09

Wow it looks very natural doesn’t it? Amazing!

Oblomov18 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:23:59

Wow. Your wig is amazing!!

ilovecherries Fri 09-Feb-18 18:24:14

Thank you smile. It was a very hard, emotional decision to go to a wig. I've had alopecia off and on for 40 years. The first NHS wig I was shown in the 70s was so hideous I vowed never to wear one. I will never forget me taking the prescription to a basement office called 'appliances' and the guy behind the desk looking at it and saying 'would you like yellow, orange, brown or black?' But they've come a long way since then (plus I'm now fortunate enough not to need an NHS one). I've bought three, all synthetic, and after all the angst beforehand, the tears in the wig shop etc, I cannot imagine living life without them now. I feel myself again.

ilovecherries Fri 09-Feb-18 18:27:43

Here is the longer one. I've also got one with beachy waves, cut to chin length, but don't have a picture of that handy.

ilovecherries Fri 09-Feb-18 18:30:10

Oh, some lovely earring there. Thanks Oblomov and Mercury.

HuskyMcClusky Fri 09-Feb-18 18:31:35

Oh wow, those wigs are amazing! The good bone structure doesn’t hurt, either! 👌

Kenworthington Fri 09-Feb-18 18:31:38

God they’re amazing! I now want a blinking wig! How do you attach it or does it just sit on top of your head? Really suits you. Also- you look super young op!

littlebillie Fri 09-Feb-18 18:32:21

Ohh they are lovely I like them both the shorter one is very cute! I'm so glad it has worked out was it the Glasgow place?

HuskyMcClusky Fri 09-Feb-18 18:33:44

nicolefendel.com.au

Her earrings are really stunning.

littlebillie Fri 09-Feb-18 18:33:59

I didn't see the longer one all the photos it's fab too they look really natural

littlebillie Fri 09-Feb-18 18:37:06

I was actually thinking of you this week as currently having a hair wobble as it looks so thin on top

ilovecherries Fri 09-Feb-18 18:38:54

Husky and Kennilworth, you can be my new best friends grin. I was 60 last week.

As for fixing it on - the longer ones sit by themselves no problem. I create a tiny little pony (stunted hamster tail actually) with what is left of my bio hair, and the back of the wig hooks over that and it provides an anchor point. With the short one (it weighs less than 50 gms), I put a tiny dap of water soluble body adhesive under the front as well. Not sure if it needs it but it's do lightweight I font want it blowing off. But I've been out in all weathers in it and it hasn't moved.

littlebillie Fri 09-Feb-18 18:40:21

Did the place you went do toppers?

ilovecherries Fri 09-Feb-18 18:44:00

Mine deteriorated rapidly over December/January Billie. I suspect I may be heading for total baldness again. At 20 my jawline and neck coped with that, at 60, not so much. I just decided Life was short, I wasn't going to spend it mithering about my hair, If it bothered me as much as it did, I needed to do something. I've worn them full time since the day I got them. Yes, Parouche. Ridiculous distance to travel, but worth it.

ilovecherries Fri 09-Feb-18 18:44:49

They did (do toppers), but said my loss was too widespread to support one.

Oblomov18 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:50:43

OMG the second wig is even better.

Oblomov18 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:53:00

No way. I thought you were 40 at a push!

Oblomov18 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:58:50

Sorry. Where is it you go?
Specifically. And what is the cost?
Because my friend has just got a wig, she's going through chemo for Hodgkins lymphoma.

Kenworthington Fri 09-Feb-18 19:04:47

Hang on wait what. 60?????? Holy hell woman you look incredible!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: