Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Dehydrated Skincare

(16 Posts)
pinklemonade84 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:22:08

My skin is looking so dull at the moment and is feeling so tight that I think it might be dehydrated.

I’ve ditched the fizzy pop and am sticking to water or squash (a big thing for me) and I want to overhaul my skincare.

Last night I tried one of the first aid beauty cleansers and the ultra repair cream and it left my skin so uncomfortable it was unreal.

Will the Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser be ok or should I be looking for a different cleanser?

I’ve got the Vichy serum (the one in the blue bottle) coming and I’m trying the loreal hydrafresh moisturiser for sensitive skin (as it’s got hyaluronic acid in it). But I’m stuck on cleanser.

Does anyone have any recommendations please? We’ve got a wedding to go to in a couple of months and I would love my skin to be looking a lot better than it does right now smile

calmandbright Thu 08-Feb-18 11:26:41

I’ve been using aveeno on my face twice a day, and a small splash of rose oil. Honestly, I looked permanently shit, dull skin and more and more wrinkles and dehydration lines before this - since I’ve been on this regime my skin in glowing. And believe me I’d tried every-bloody-thing. It seemed like the more I messed around with all these rave review products the worse my skin looked. Plus loads of water of course!

VeggieforJan Thu 08-Feb-18 14:31:23

The honey mask from the body shop is fab for skin feeling dehydrated. I use and old foundation brush to put it on, as I is sticky.

fiorentina Thu 08-Feb-18 14:38:05

Watching with interest as an similarly not very glowing at the moment. I had a great Boots Botanics serum beforehand but they discontinued it. Just trying the Aldi version now in the hope it helps, it certainly makes my skin softer.

NiteFlights Thu 08-Feb-18 19:54:16

I recommend keeping it simple, a bit like what calmandbright suggested. Don't stress your skin with too many products. Avoid anything containing denatured alcohol or harsh essential oils (e.g. mint) - Liz Earle might not be the best thing maybe.

You could get some hyaluronic acid serum from the Ordinary, which I think is quite good, but the Superdrug Simply Pure serum is also excellent and very cheap. I also like the Simply Pure cleanser, which I remove with a damp flannel. I get glycerin and rosewater from Boots traditional range, decant it into a spray bottle and use it as a 'hydrating toner'. Drinking lots of water is good, and you could also make sure you get plenty of healthy oils/fats in your diet, or a supplement.

pinklemonade84 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:40:51

Thanks everyone smile

I’ll give the superdrug serum a try once I’ve finished the bottle of Vichy serum. It seems to be getting amazing reviews, so if it does the same for a fraction of the price then it’s all good with me grin

Osquito Fri 09-Feb-18 00:49:34

I bought a botanicals-based day serum and face oil for 89p each (!!!) in Quality Save today.

www.aromaactives.co.uk/aroma-actives-heritage.html

Turns out they're off the lower-price range from Aromatherapy Associates co-founder, and normally around a tenner. I used them in conjunction with my Boots Botanical hot cloth cleanser, which I find helps stop my skin drying or feeling tight.

The Aroma Actives products do smell quite herbal, like having a spa facial, so if you're into fragrance-free etc then maybe get a sample of Kiehls midnight recovery oil... I love this stuff, DP usually compliments my skin after I've used it, but I'm on budget beauty wink

DonaldDroop Fri 09-Feb-18 02:54:35

What about some oil? Almond or coconut?

EnidButton Fri 09-Feb-18 08:23:51

The LE hot cloth cleanser made my skin very very sore. It felt like I'd burnt it. I have dehydrated skin so I would avoid it if I were you.

You might like an oil cleanser or a balm? Like the Emma Hardie one (spendy) or the body shop do a nice chamomile one.

pinklemonade84 Fri 09-Feb-18 10:26:01

Ohhh thank you EnidButton, I’ll give the body shop one a try as they’ve got a decent discount running at the moment smile

BagelGoesWalking Fri 09-Feb-18 11:45:26

Yup, the Body Shop Camomile Balm Cleanser is ace. Everyone seems to love it.

I found a hydrating toner - not the alcohol based "western" ones but Korean style like Secret Key Milk Toner or Pyunkang Yul Essence Toner is great at adding hydration. I also like adding a couple of drops of Marula oil from the Ordinary before or with moisturiser (I preferred it to Rosehip but I know many love that).

Look out for the CeraVe products launching in Boots in March. They're well formulated and always recommended, particularly the Hydrating Cleanser.

Moisturising Cream – hero product £14.50 (454g)
Moisturising Lotion – lightweight formula £9 (236ml)
Hydrating Cleanser – non foaming lotion £9 (236ml)
Foaming Facial Cleanser – soap-free cleanser £9 (236ml)
Facial Moisturising Lotion SPF25 – restores barrier, hydrates & protects £12 for 52ml
Reparative Hand Cream – deeply moisturises, non-greasy £5.50 (50ml)

pinklemonade84 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:04:00

I have enough points on my boots card to get the Clinique cleansing balm, so I’m not sure whether to go for that or the body shop one smile

pinklemonade84 Fri 09-Feb-18 12:08:21

Thank you bagel. That hydrating cleanser sounds good, I’ll have a look into it now

Lottapianos Fri 09-Feb-18 12:19:19

OP, I have used the Superdrug serum and the Vichy serum and I think that the Superdrug one is way better. They also do a 'night' version of the serum which is richer than the 'day' one. They're both excellent and priced around £3

Hyaluronic Acid and Buffet from the Ordinary also very good for dehydration

Cleansers - Body Shop Camomile Balm is excellent, also Boots Botanics cream cleanser. Remove both with a warm wet flannel. Avoid wet wipes like the plague!

Lostinedinburgh Fri 09-Feb-18 12:38:11

I couldn't get on with the Liz Earle cleanser which made my face feel tight, and I hated the smell. I use Boots Botanics hot cloth cleansing balm. It's about a fiver and I buy when it's on 3 for 2.

Bodicea Sat 10-Feb-18 14:21:19

The Clinique take the day off balm is awesome, not irritating. I’ve used for ages and have dry, sensitive skin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: