Talk

Advanced search

Tights for office

(21 Posts)
hannahy05 Thu 08-Feb-18 06:56:48

About to return to work after a period away to raise our two children. What sort of tights do people wear in the office these days? I have lots of black opaque ones and lots of fine denier nude tights but our office is noriously fickle in temperature. Do people wear fine denier black tights these days? If so, what denier is best?

hannahy05 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:24:17

bump

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Fri 09-Feb-18 20:25:38

I wear black opaques, usually between 40d and 100d depending on weather. I also have some brightly coloured ones but I don't wear them very often.

Luckycatsplat Fri 09-Feb-18 20:27:53

Depends. What sort of office?
Generally black opaques are fine.

Duckies Fri 09-Feb-18 20:28:04

I am still in opaques but I understand that sheer black has made a comeback with fashion types. I'm pleased as I think that Working Girl look is really shiny and pulled together. I don't have any hints on how to style them this time around though!

princessbear80 Fri 09-Feb-18 20:31:13

It’s black opaques for most in my office, usually 60 denier or more. A few of the more funky dressers may wear patterned or coloured tights. Only the most conservative wear thin denier or nude colour. I hope you enjoy your return to work. I missed my son dreadfully at first, but it soon passed and I’m glad I’m back now.

Chewbecca Fri 09-Feb-18 20:36:45

Opaques only in my office.

LoniceraJaponica Fri 09-Feb-18 20:40:34

MN hates nude tights. I don't. Most women wear jeans or trousers to work where I work. We have a dress down policy now.

WednesdaySpinner Fri 09-Feb-18 20:59:39

Opaque for the majority in my office including myself, however I have seen a few berry/navy cable knits on the more adventurous!

CountFosco Fri 09-Feb-18 21:03:18

At this time of year I wear woolly tights. Far to cold for anything else. But I am a scientist so our smart casual is far more casual than smart.

LtGreggs Fri 09-Feb-18 21:04:54

Generally I wear opaque black, grey or brown in winter, nude neutral in summer, panic in spring & autumn.

I should do trousers, but am short and can't be bothered with the turning-up involved.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Fri 09-Feb-18 21:11:12

Black opques babe ! Get the MandS heat sensitive one
And air your bits when you get home !!!

MeadowHay Fri 09-Feb-18 21:26:18

Pretty much everyone wears black opaques in my office. I sometimes wear coloured opaques - have a lovely pair of red ones for example, but that would depend on how conservative/strict your dress policy is. I occasionally wear nudes or low denier black in summer/when it's not too cold, but I'm definitely in the minority, and I don't really care for fashion, I just like to mix it up sometimes as I get bored wearing the same type of stuff all the time.

MrsJoshDun Fri 09-Feb-18 21:31:01

I wear coloured cable knit tights, have them in grey, navy, black and berry.

Also wear black opaques.

I do wear nude tights in the summer. Wouldn’t go bare legged and too warm for opaques.

pinkhorse Fri 09-Feb-18 21:35:13

I wear red merino tights. Love them to bits

Gwenhwyfar Sat 10-Feb-18 12:28:02

My office is freezing so I wear 100 denier black opaques or leggings.

hannahy05 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:52:35

Thanks for the replies. Its a law firm based in the city. I have read that sheer black / barely black tights are back in fashion. Is that correct?

Baileystruffle Wed 14-Feb-18 18:24:16

Yes either opaques (in any colour) or sheer (black only) are fine. If going sheer don't go for super shiny ones. Nude ones aren't fashionable, some people wear them as Kate Middleton does (Royals are supposed to wear tights!) but best so save them for occasions where you have to use them such as weddings!

Baileystruffle Wed 14-Feb-18 18:25:57

I'd go for opaques when its cold, but sheer black when weather gets warmer but not yet warm enough for bare legs

OCSockOrphanage Wed 14-Feb-18 21:32:11

With a City palette of colours, sheer black or charcoal or navy always look smart and dressy, but would perhaps look too try-hard anywhere else. It's quite a formal older management style these days I think, but I would choose it, because I am old (60) so not really an oracle on such topics. Very chic, done well, as are most things!

hannahy05 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:09:58

Thanks for your replies. Will stick to opaques for now and perhaps experiment with barely black / nude when the weather gets warmer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now