Talk

Advanced search

Warmest jacket?

(17 Posts)
Bloomed Wed 07-Feb-18 01:08:38

I'm looking for a very warm jacket (but not Canada Goose). Anyone know what the warmest jacket on the market is?

bummymummythefirst Wed 07-Feb-18 01:35:33

Patagonia do amazing warm coats.

BikeRunSki Wed 07-Feb-18 01:35:59

Down jackets are very warm. The warmth is measured in “fill power”- the higher the number, the warmer they are. You probably want 600 or more. Useless when wet though, so it you are likely to get wet, you need one with a waterproof outer and/or hydrophobic down.

There are many, many down jackets on the market, from both mountaineering brands and fashions brands. For pure warmth, i’d hazard a guess that the mountaineering brands are warmest. Alpkit are good value, but you could spend a great deal more on longer, thicker jackets. Other brands are Rab, Patagonia and Mountain hardware. There are longer down coats out there too, but likely now only to be Sale stock.

Bloomed Wed 07-Feb-18 01:44:16

Thanks Bummy I'll look at patagonia
BikeRunSki that's brilliant: I had no idea about the fill power measure! I'll check out those brands tomorrow. I'm short and find long coats quite bulky on me so perhaps focusing on mountaineering jackets is the way to go.

bummymummythefirst Wed 07-Feb-18 11:59:48

I'm short too and have five Patagonia down coats, one mountain hardware and two North Face. (I live somewhere cold.)

What I like about Patagonia is that use traceable down (ie the geese aren't plucked half to death).

Burton also do amazing down coats. They do some that have a longer bit that zips off, so when it's really cold you pop the longer bit on.

Canada goose are actually a horrible company. The coyote fur they use is very unethical. They trap them and the coyotes usually starve to death.

Bloomed Wed 07-Feb-18 12:07:38

I know bummymummy and I really don't like the big Canada Goose logo/style etc. anyway.
I'll look into those. Alpkit seem to use ethically sourced/traceable down too.

kevinkeeganlovesme Wed 07-Feb-18 12:20:58

No it's a bit in your face. grin

Bloomed Wed 07-Feb-18 12:58:29

It's all rather 'look at me I can afford this and don't care about animal welfare'

Jonsey79 Wed 07-Feb-18 13:22:40

I love my Colombia ski jacket which is down filled and like a duvet. I also have a Jaeger down filled coat which isn't nearly as warm.

jelliedeel Wed 07-Feb-18 22:07:43

There's a really good guide on the webtogs website about fill power. I have a very heavy warm coat and an equally warm, very light coat with different fills. Jack Wolfskin and Lands End.

Unicorn81 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:02:29

rab.equipment/uk/womens/insulation

sportyfool Thu 08-Feb-18 19:53:53

I've got a lovely down Tommy Hilfiger coat . It's super warm and shaped so fits really well too .
Also there is an aigle one which i nearly bought .
I find a lot of them are very square in the body .

sportyfool Thu 08-Feb-18 19:57:49

http://www.next.co.uk/style/st211787#185558

sportyfool Thu 08-Feb-18 19:59:08

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/aigle-womens-rigdown-long-jacket-A4215359.html?colour=124 this one is very warm

sportyfool Thu 08-Feb-18 20:01:32

I find the rab , Didrikson, north face ones etc a bit technical. They look like you are going hiking , if you don't mind that then all good🤗

butterflybuns Thu 08-Feb-18 20:08:10

Definitely recommend Alpkit. They're brilliant and a very ethical company.

BrawneLamia Thu 08-Feb-18 20:24:39

I have a down jacket which was a charity shop buy. It is lovely and warm but my legs freeze. I would definitely buy something which covers your bum and thighs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now