Talk

Advanced search

Aviator or Wayfarer style sunglasses?

(20 Posts)
UnravelMyMind Tue 06-Feb-18 23:17:04

I suit both but also wear Wayfarer style glasses sometimes so wondering about something different for my prescription sunglasses.
I used to think Aviator’s were really naff many years ago but now I think I might like them!
Which would get your vote...?

rightknockered Wed 07-Feb-18 00:11:21

I like both, but wear aviators more often, think they look better with my long wavy hair. Wayfarers are sharper, whereas aviators are more soft, it depends on your general style I think.

Duckies Wed 07-Feb-18 03:31:01

I love a club master, cool like rayban but bit softer on face.

Roystonv Wed 07-Feb-18 03:45:13

I'm sorry, but this matters?

NavyGold Wed 07-Feb-18 04:23:31

I love Aviators and I was devastated when I lost mind but I ended up getting Clubmasters as a replacement and I love them just as much!

NavyGold Wed 07-Feb-18 04:24:54

I'm sorry, but this matters?

hmm

heartyrebel Wed 07-Feb-18 04:28:36

Of course it matters in S&B

Roystonv Wed 07-Feb-18 04:39:32

So glad I lack both then, must be so wearing!

Paintbox Wed 07-Feb-18 07:01:49

Royston, I think you’re completely missing the point of s&b

Floisme Wed 07-Feb-18 07:38:23

Are you lost, Roston?

I've worn Wayfarers for years but I'm getting bored with them so aviators for me next time.

Floisme Wed 07-Feb-18 07:39:01

Royston My apologies.

Floisme Wed 07-Feb-18 07:42:54

I'm just flummoxed as to why anyone who finds this stuff tedious would not only seek out these boards but take the time to open this thread and post on it. Twice.
It would be like me posting in a car thread.

Lilonetwo Wed 07-Feb-18 07:47:34

I love both but only suit wayfarer. If the aviators suit you then go for it!!

specialsubject Wed 07-Feb-18 09:24:18

Neither unless you are sitting indoors lunching. Both styles let loads of UV through. Get wraparounds.

TealStar Wed 07-Feb-18 09:28:13

Aviators for me, but as another poster said they suit me partly because I have long wavy hair. Not sure how they’d look with a bob or short hair; possibly too sharp, in which case wayfarers might look better...

Lilonetwo Wed 07-Feb-18 11:00:35

specialsubject I'm not an 'expert' in sunglasses, but the raybans I have are polarised. They stop the glare in v bright light. I'm unsure about UV protection though smile

UnravelMyMind Wed 07-Feb-18 11:14:34

Hmmm, I’m now leaning towards Aviatiors! I too have long and semi wavy hair, plus they will be different to my usual glasses, which is a bonus!

MsHomeSlice Wed 07-Feb-18 11:19:30

decent sunnies should be kite/CE marked which means they are up to standard for UV/lensthickness/tint quality

aside from that most lens materials block all the harmful UV, any UV filter is just boosting the level of blockage, iyswim, current thinking is that UV protection is a good thing so more filtering can only be good...and it's not that pricey so why not really?

polarising lenses really are a much better investment for sunspecs, so I would really recommend them over an ordinary tinted lens, you can now get prescription polarising, and thinner polarising prescription lens materials.
Polarising lenses deal with bright light in much better way that a standard tint/photochromic lens, they just reduce the light available reducing the brightness overall, whereas polarising lenses filter out scattered light and reduce glare without reducing brightness and clarity.

missmartha Wed 07-Feb-18 11:32:42

I wear Wayfarers and have done for years. Pixie or very short hair here.

I've tried Aviators and although I like them I always return to my trusty Wayfarers.

DullAndOld Wed 07-Feb-18 11:35:57

Wayfarers, every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now