Talk

Advanced search

My hair is straw...

(19 Posts)
Chicinwellies Tue 06-Feb-18 22:29:20

... and I’d love some advice on a cut. My hair is light blonde, ridiculously fine, and sat at shoulder length. I’m 40 this year and can’t face trying to get beach waves or long tresses again, it’s never going to happen. So what cut / style is good for thin hair?!

calmandbright Tue 06-Feb-18 22:42:01

Blunt cut! It’s taken me years to stop giving in to the insistence of hairdressers that layers are the best. My fine hair looks much better with a blunt cut.

calmandbright Tue 06-Feb-18 22:43:21

As for the straw issue, deep condition with a moisturising mask once a week, and with a protein deep conditioning mask another day.

MorningstarMoon Tue 06-Feb-18 22:52:29

I keep telling hairdressers no layers they say ok and then say oh I have to do layers. No you don't!!

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Wed 07-Feb-18 03:57:20

Is a blunt cut the same as a 'Can I see your manager' cut? Because I'm of a certain age and my DD has absolutely vetoed me from having one of those, whereas I think it would quite suit me and my uber fine hair.

If you search google images you'll see what I mean.

Dowser Wed 07-Feb-18 09:55:25

I never have layers.
I have straight fine hair too and it suits being all together , either down or in a pony tail.
Unless you are getting your hair blow dried every day or can do it yourself to hairdresser standard, or you have thick hair that you wash and falls into place, don’t do it.
The number of women you see with layers not blended in properly , dry ends stuck out...a blunt cut would be far more preferable.

Pinkywoo Wed 07-Feb-18 10:05:50

I also have very fine, light blonde hair, and have spent the last 3years growing out all the layers and it looks so much better! I like it cut slightly shorter at the back so it's a bit swingy, and have discovered a brilliant leave in conditioner from Avon that stops any straw/fluff effect.

Honeycake50 Wed 07-Feb-18 11:56:48

Same problem, I was thinking of looking at supplements today as I have longed for nice full hair all my life. I am generally anaemic and get so fed up with hairdressers picking up my shoulder length hair st he back and saying ‘it’s so fine, it really needs a good 2 inches off ‘ , always. I get my hair trimmed but it always grows back in strands. Also I have long layers at the very front only, to frame my face and that works, they are almost as long as my normal length. Otherwise I agree layers are a massive no no. Had one disaster once where I looked like I had a mullet, never ever again took me years to grow that back!

Kerastase bain range helps but I still long for lovely locks. Feel I’m resigned to this forever sigh.

Dreamslongforgotten75 Wed 07-Feb-18 19:58:14

I had a thread about this recently. Had my hair cut since and I absolutely second the blunt cut. I had long layers that looked dry and frizzy & just horrible really. Went to a new hairdresser and got one of those lob type bob cuts. SO much better and looking a lot healthier. Also using herbal essence new range. No bad stuff in it apparently. I actually leave the conditioner in and it drys perfectly without any greasy texture to it. So far so good !

RoxanneMonke Wed 07-Feb-18 20:03:10

Another vote for the blunt cut!
Also, why is your hair like straw, has it been damaged with bleach or heat? There’s lots of things that can help that to improve its texture.

Pawpainting Wed 07-Feb-18 20:21:55

Also, why is your hair like straw, has it been damaged with bleach or heat? There’s lots of things that can help that to improve its texture

Mine has been damaged with bleach and heat, what can I do? I've been using redken anti snap leave in conditioner, and their protein mask a couple of times a week. Aveda damage repair shampoo and conditioner that was recommended by my hairdresser. As well as taking hair growth vitamins to help it grow healthy. And I've stopped using my hair dryer completely but my hair is still worryingly damaged. I guess it will take time but do you have any other tips?

Sorry for hijacking the thread btw!

halfwitpicker Wed 07-Feb-18 20:22:51

Yup, get a blunt cut.

halfwitpicker Wed 07-Feb-18 20:23:35

Sleeping in your conditioner is a good tip - wrap pillow in towels, obviously

GreatDuckCookery Wed 07-Feb-18 20:30:50

A blunt bob would be nice OP. Talk to your hairdresser for ideas too, maybe look through some magazines to get some ideas?

I recently had my hair ( shoulder length ) cut really short which was a shock for a week or so but I love it now. Really easy to look after.

RoxanneMonke Thu 08-Feb-18 20:43:02

Do you still get your hair coloured Pawpainting? There is a treatment called Olaplex available at the hairdressers that really transformed my hair. Also I found Philip Kingsley’s Elasticizer to be really good as well as the Redken Extreme shampoo & conditioner.

Pawpainting Thu 08-Feb-18 20:55:23

I've stopped now Roxanne, it was actually a DIY thing I was using to lighten my dark blonde hair (John Frieda go blonder spray). Wish I had read some reviews before using it as it does seem to do have done similar to lots of people's hair.

Thanks for the advice, I'll ask my hairdresser about it. Already using anti snap I'll give the elasticizer a try if it's available here smile

CAAKE Thu 08-Feb-18 20:56:35

I use argon oil on my hair, massaged thoroughly into the ends right before washing it. It's done wonders for my dry stringy hair.

RoxanneMonke Thu 08-Feb-18 21:01:58

Good Luck Pawpainting. It’s horrible when your hair feels a mess. I’ve been tempted by those kinds of bleach sprays in the past but as it happened my old hairdresser managed to ruin my hair. Luckily I’ve got a good one now. Hope you get it sorted soon.

OlennasWimple Thu 08-Feb-18 21:09:15

Dumb question: is a blunt cut just when it is cut straight, not with lots of faffy layers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now