Talk

Advanced search

Swapping to natural organic products

(46 Posts)
HarperFrannie Tue 06-Feb-18 19:51:27

I've slowly started replacing my skin care, shower products, etc. with natural/organic products in an attempt to cut down the amount of "toxins" I'm using. I've been looking at Noughty shampoos, Neals Yard moisturiser and soaps, for example.

Has anyone else done this? Can you recommend any good products? I'm particularly finding it difficult to find hair styling products - e.g. mousse, hair spray - for my fine flyaway hair; if anyone has found anything good I'd really appreciate a recommendation!

specialsubject Tue 06-Feb-18 19:55:01

Toxins? Babble. No toiletries are sold with unsafe ingredients.

Remember that all diseases are natural.

HarperFrannie Tue 06-Feb-18 20:01:03

Maybe so. But I'd still like to try the products, if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks.

VanillaSugar Tue 06-Feb-18 20:01:39

DD (student, age 19) buys from Lush. She's more against the packaging than anything else, although she isn't a fan of parabens either.

eloisesparkle Tue 06-Feb-18 20:04:49

Try Elave products
Google them

HarperFrannie Tue 06-Feb-18 20:13:01

Thank you both, I'll look at those.

AnnaMagnani Tue 06-Feb-18 21:05:24

Am not so keen on Lush as still full of SLS - not as natural as they make out although the take on packaging is laudable.

I wish I had the budget for Tata Harper.

HarperFrannie Wed 07-Feb-18 06:07:56

The Tata Harper range looks gorgeous.

mellongoose Wed 07-Feb-18 06:12:41

Made for Life/Spiezia. It is 100% organic.

duriandurian Wed 07-Feb-18 06:14:51

Ocado sell Balance Me which I like. Often on offer.
Hair wise I fear you will have to spend more. I like Aveda
Parenthetically I saw the first comment and thought "ooh, Toxins, Babble; two new brands of which I wasn't aware"....

Crazybunnylady123 Wed 07-Feb-18 08:43:50

Hello,

I can help you.
Check out Madara for really great hair care as well as skincare, I do recommend Neal’s Yard really good products.
Other brands you can check out are Lavera, PHB, Lovea, Mossa, Bentley Organics. There is so much choice now.
Tkmaxx nornally have a great range if you are in the uk, you can pick up some great stuff.
A good online shop is Mypure and you get free gift and samples with your order.
Have fun x

HarperFrannie Wed 07-Feb-18 09:00:37

Ooo thanks everyone. Lots of happy browsing ahead!

ppeatfruit Wed 07-Feb-18 09:19:37

Interestingly special There was a programme which said clearly that if the bottle says the product has been "dermatologically tested" all that means is , apart from animal testing of course. It has been put the arm of one person in the office!!

I don't know why the 'natural' products contain so many ingredients and why they are allowed to call something that might have e.g a tiny tiny drop of honey in it (or a chemical made from honey). Honey shower gel.

There are very good products made by a small company in Hampstead (LONDON!!!) which have very few natural ingredients in them they are called Mistry and they are NOT expensive.

specialsubject Wed 07-Feb-18 09:22:04

Beauty products a con.

And in other news, something about bears and woods...

MaggieMay23 Wed 07-Feb-18 09:38:38

Try some of these
Weleda
purenuffstuff
handmade naturals

misscph1973 Wed 07-Feb-18 09:41:38

I use Faith in Nature shampoo and conditioner and Green People toothpaste. I have tried to use "natural" deodorant, but it doesn't work for me, so I use Waitrose's basic deodorant. I use Dr Bronner's soap bars. I no longer use any creams, lotions or lipbalm, I make my own from Wellness Mama's recipes, they are brilliant, it's just beeswax blended with oils. And I use the oil cleansing method.

mrslebon Wed 07-Feb-18 09:52:50

Tropic are 100% natural and I've been impressed by their cleanser and pore minimising toner in particular.

ppeatfruit Wed 07-Feb-18 09:54:15

Why the 'attitude' special? Many people believe the lying adverts for all the crap products. Also hardly anyone reads the extremely long ingredient lists ; it makes me wonder, esp. about the so -called 'natural' products.

I don't use them either, I use t tree and lavender organic essential oils as a deodorant, cleanser and mouth wash etc. Also make my own creams.

Leilaniiii Wed 07-Feb-18 09:58:02

For me, the main issue is animal testing. I just won’t buy anything that’s tested on animals.

BertramTheWalrus Wed 07-Feb-18 10:09:12

Toxins? Babble. No toiletries are sold with unsafe ingredients
Toiletries are sold with substances that are considered safe beneath a certain threshold. Using multiple products - which nearly everyone does - means you will easily get over that threshold.
I got rid of my itchy scalp by switching to organic shampoo. I've started using organic toiletries more or less exclusively since then.
I live in Germany and organic products, including detergents, are common and cheap. I like Lavera and Dr. Hauschka which is available in the UK if I'm correct.

HarperFrannie Wed 07-Feb-18 10:10:37

ppeatfruit I think we might have watched the same programme grin

HarperFrannie Wed 07-Feb-18 10:13:31

What's the oil cleansing method please?

Has anyone found any decent make up?

ppeatfruit Wed 07-Feb-18 10:17:17

Exactly Bertram The huge manufacturers use the cheapest possible ingredients they can. Sodium Laureth Sulphate is a good example of a chemical which was invented to clean GARAGE FLOORS fgs. They still use it now in their beautifully packaged products, and of course it strips the grease completely from your hair too!!

Crazybunnylady123 Wed 07-Feb-18 11:08:35

@ Leilaniiii
Same here, but it’s quite hard sometimes on where to draw the line, for example the body shop was taken over by L’Oréal. The body shop does not test but L’Oréal as a parent company does. However they have been taken over now by a company that is ok and now body shop stuff carries the leaping bunny logo. Burts bees are cruelty free but there parent company are apparently not!
I dread the thought of using anything that would of hurt an animal, it isn’t just so sick!

Crazybunnylady123 Wed 07-Feb-18 11:09:30

*is not isn’t

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now