Talk

Advanced search

Beauty For Someone Who Doesn't Do Beauty...?

(27 Posts)
lololove Mon 05-Feb-18 21:41:44

Without wanting to sound like I'm being ungrateful - I need help please! A relative has bought me a sizable gift voucher for a local salon as a birthday present. Said voucher has a three month limit.

I don't do beauty or wear make up as I have hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating and flushing on the face & other places) including during winter so it'd run off and look daft. I'm a 24/7 carer so things like nail extensions etc wouldn't be very sanitary or last because of the care/cleaning. Without meaning to make it sound like a sob story I don't get holidays or nights out and I don't have a partner so there's no getting dolled up for occasions. I'm lucky if I get to leave the house once a week.

Because of the above - I'm totally lost what to do with it and the thought of it is making me very uncomfortable. I'm not able to pass it on at a discount (noone wanted to due to the amount it is as they didn't have that much spare) and relative will want to see proof of it used anyway and the salon won't offer a refund back to my relative.

I don't have nails long enough for shellac/gel polish etc - whilst I don't bite them and they're tidy and clean, there's no length to them. The salon doesn't do extensions (and even if they did they'd not be sanitary due to care responsibilities)

On offer is things like:
eyebrow (tint/wax/hd brows)
eyelash (lift/tint/extensions)
wax (usual places)
facial (crystal clear oxygen therapy, prelude, microdermabrasion and assorted more expensive elemis type stuff)
massage (indian head massage, thai foot massage (also includes more massage but I'd not be comfortable enough for anything like that with my hyperhidrosis so massage other than perhaps the two named ones are out of the question.)
assorted pedicures
assorted manicures
gel polish and shellac stuff
nail strengthener manicure/pedicure

Is it worth paying the extra for HD brows rather than just a bog standard eyebrow wax? (that is the only one I know I'd definitely like - just not sure what/if it's worth the extra.)

What sort of treatments do you enjoy and recommend? Is there something that I should really try? Of something else I should inquire if they can do that's fab?!

If I'm honest the entire thing is making me uncomfortable as it's so far out of my comfort zone if I'm honest and not something that I would enjoy!

Thank you!!

(It's a long shot but does anyone else have facial hyperhidrosis and find they benefit from facials or anything similar? I've been on 2 different sorts of medicines and a cream and they did nothing to reduce it at all and the dermatologist says that there is nothing else she can do/give me due to it being the face).

witchmountain Tue 06-Feb-18 01:03:26

I had a similarish present recently - high value voucher for a shop (beauty related) that only sells really expensive things I had no interest in buying. It was a very generous gift but I would have been happier with a book token!

In your situation I would personally go for massage because I find it relaxing and get a tangible benefit from it that I can appreciate. I’m afraid I don’t know anything about the condition you mention but don’t feel you can’t have a massage because of sweating - a couple of my friends are massage therapists and they deal with all sorts, it doesn’t worry them at all.

But if you’d be happier with head or feet then I can recommend head massage. They do usually involve more neck and shoulders than just head so if you’d feel uncomfortable with that you might want to discuss it with them first.

I’ve never had a foot massage but if any reflexology is on offer then I’d recommend that - I found it really relaxing.

I’m the wrong person to ask about facials, I just find them a bit pointless and so I get irritated about wasting the time and money.

If you keep your nails short then gel/shellac gets annoying after about a week because it just makes them harder to cut. If you’ve got lots of dry skin on your feet and they do a really thorough pedicure then you might like that, but if you’re not that worried about what your feet look like then you can probably take it or leave it!

Maybe try and think about it as being less about the beauty treatment and more about the opportunity to have a bit of time to yourself, either to have a good chat with a stranger, or to zone out and relax and not have to deal with anyone else?

DarthArts Tue 06-Feb-18 01:27:57

I personally find a scalp massage very relaxing and non intrusive iyswim. They normally massage your neck at the same time.

I leave the oil in my hair overnight and wash it the next day and as well as enjoying the massage my hair gets a lovely conditioning treatment in effect.

I'm not a fan of manicures tbh and have sensitive skin, so I don't really like loads of products slapped on my face one after another (even if they are high quality) as happens in a facial as it just irritates my skin.

Eyebrows- well each to their own but frankly I wish the trend of having two hairy caterpillars on your face would just die a death. A wax or threading to tidy them is fine, but the whole dying them etc a la HD brows - especially if you don't wear much other make up - can look really harsh and ageing in natural light (as opposed to Instagram world).

Back massage is also good, but involves getting your top kit off. Therapists (well reputable ones) are well trained re: towel draping to ensure privacy and very discrete wrt to leaving the room as you get ready so it's never been an issue for me, but might be to others.

Loonoon Tue 06-Feb-18 01:31:23

I would definitely do something with your brows. If you have dark, strong brows just have a wax or thread. If they are a bit pale and vague, go for the HDs. Lash tints also give a lot of bang for your buck.

Don't discount a shellac manicure because your nails are short. Even short nails can look fabulous with a good mani and colour and I have found shellac has really improved the health and strength of my nails.
And a nice pedicure is always luxurious and lasts ages.

Motoko Tue 06-Feb-18 02:46:31

I think I'd go for the head massage, have brows tidied and tinted if needed, and have lash tint.
If there's still money left, I'd have a facial too, though I don't know what facial, as I've never had one before. I guess I'd just get what the budget allowed.

Think of the time having it all done as some "you" time. Some time to just relax and enjoy yourself. With 24/7 caring duties, you need it.

lololove Tue 06-Feb-18 09:35:17

Thank you very much everyone. What made him decide on a beauty voucher I'll never know - especially in a high amount but there we go! I don't want to seem ungrateful I just didn't know what to do with it -especially as it has a limited 'shelf life' as it were of three months.

I definitely need to do something with my eyebrows, but they are naturally dark - they just need a good tidy up so that's one of them so I won't do the HD - thanks for the heads up.

What is a lash tint, Motoko? Is it to look like you're wearing mascara?

witchmountain - Hyperhidrosis is essentially overly excessive sweating - usually in armpits and other sweat gland ridden places. Unfortunately I've been 'blessed' with it on my face as well as back/armpits/legs etc. All around the year in every season our nervous systems conspire to make the shortest walk (even in winter) look like we've run a marathon in 90 degree weather and being worried or anxious can make it worse/kick in too which is why I wasn't too sure about back massages etc too. I have been followed round shops in December because they think I'm a shop lifter because I'm bright red and wet through - all because of it. It started when I was 14 but got worse after a heart attack when 23.

I have shoulder/back ache so I do think I'd like the indian one as I'd like my shoulders focused on but I'm not bothered about the head stuff - I'd just love my shoulders rubbed for a bit haha!

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your help!

Loonoon Tue 06-Feb-18 10:04:30

A lash tint will look like mascara but lasts 3/4 weeks. If it's done well catches even the very short, fine lashes that mascara can miss so makes them look fuller and thicker as well as darker.

Motoko Tue 06-Feb-18 10:09:24

What is a lash tint, Motoko? Is it to look like you're wearing mascara?

I assume so. I've never had any beauty treatments other than having false nails for my wedding!

TheSpottedZebra Tue 06-Feb-18 10:17:27

Another vote for Indian Head massage. It's really relaxing, not at all intrusive. You keep your clothes on I think, it that matters. Although they sometimes use lots if oil, so you may perhaps take off your top layer and have a towel or gown on.

Ask if they do a head and shoulder massage?

Fletch80 Tue 06-Feb-18 11:38:20

If you're going for the Indian Head massage be sure you don't have much planned for afterwards, they can be so relaxing that they make you feel very sleepy!
Could you call into the salon before booking and ask their advice re your hyperhidrosis? they might recommend which treatments would be suitable/ not suitable.

DarthArts Tue 06-Feb-18 16:40:48

I have pale eyelashes.

An eyelash tint is fairly quick. You don't look like you're wearing mascara but in my case it does give my eyes more definition - it's good for when I don't want to wear mascara (swimming/gym or simply can't be bothered!).

If your eyelash's are already dark it won't make much of a difference though.

They just put cotton pads in your eyes with the lashes sitting on top, then apply the dye, wait for about 10 mins then clean it off.

Head massage in my experience has always been accompanied by neck and shoulders. If you prefer that aspect simply tell your therapist you'd like that to be the focus rather than your scalp iyswim.

lololove Tue 06-Feb-18 17:31:06

Thank you all - it's really helping as I don't know anyone who has beauty treatments other than nails. the eyelash tint doesn't sound like it's for me then as my eyelashes are naturally very dark and very long - perhaps the lift thing they do might be the thing for them though to make them look bigger perhaps?

Thanks again! smile

turkeyboots Tue 06-Feb-18 17:37:52

Shellac pedicure? You can have whatever color you like. I like a flash of mad colour on my toes this time of year.

DarthArts Tue 06-Feb-18 17:45:36

A lash lift will "open" your eyes iyswim.

It's a bit like using an eyelash curler but the results last longer - it's good if your lashes are dark but straight/straightish.

specialsubject Tue 06-Feb-18 17:51:22

personally I can't think of anything worse. Waxing hurts so who would want to do that? Jabba the hutt talons are no use for anyone who actually does anything. Massages...eeewwww... And all indoors in a smelly room on what sods law will be a nice sunny day.

unfortunately you have been bought what for you is a useless present. The only thing I can suggest is sell it on ebay for charity. Relative doesn't need proof of use, gifts are unconditional.

DarthArts Tue 06-Feb-18 17:51:58

I'd also think about a pedicure OP.

As a pp said it's nice to a a secret flash of colour on your toes - I always find it amusing to look at my (green/blue/vibrant pink) toes in the bath and know they are there even when I'm in a conservative business suit wink

You get a foot massage as part of a pedicure and if you are on your feet a lot it can be very relaxing.

SloanePeterson Tue 06-Feb-18 18:00:36

I can see why your relative thought this was a nice gift - I think it's acknowledgement that you deserve a break and a pamper and it was thoughtful. But I'm with you, is struggle. I've been trying to be kinder to myself in the last year since suffering terribly with my health the year before. I've started having leg waxes which don't hurt as much as I thought, and saves me a job in the shower every morning. I've also has a wonderful pedicure which came with a foot massage, and the polish has lasted months without chipping. Shellac or gel on my fingernails isn't for me though, I've tried it a few times and it wrecked my nails and it took months to get them to stop flaking afterwards. I think I'd try something new but gentle at first, so maybe a neck and shoulder massage. If you're comfortable with the person doing it, maybe then go on to have a back massage. The main thing I'd say is don't be intimidated. My beauty lady is truly the most beautiful person I've ever seen and I was convinced she'd be aloof or look down on me. She's absolutely lovely and has become a close friend. They won't judge you for being unsure about things, their job is to make you feel good x

BringMeTea Tue 06-Feb-18 18:08:36

Head massage all the way. I had one recently. Lots of neck and top of shoulder stuff involved and I slept better that night than I had in many months.

user187656748 Tue 06-Feb-18 18:16:21

Lots of these are not really beauty treatments they are pampering treatments.

Don't do the HD brows if yours are already dark. Don't do lash extensions since they only last a couple of weeks.

In your position I'd do eyebrow shape/wax
microdermabrasion
massage
pedicure

CountFosco Tue 06-Feb-18 19:23:42

Another vote for the Head Massage.

SleightOfMind Tue 06-Feb-18 19:32:50

If you can, be brave and go for a back massage.
Explain your condition to the therapist. They really do see all sorts (including skin complaints that weep etc) and are hugely sympathetic.
They’ll use oil or lubricant to avoid dragging your skin so you’ll be damp anyway and you’ll be on towels.

If you have achey shoulders it really helps and I bet you’ll feel a lot less self conscious too.

lololove Tue 06-Feb-18 20:10:44

Thank you all! The shoulders are definitely a sore point (perils of a large chest and moving people around!) so it's a definite through one form of massage or the other!

SS - unfortunately i can't pass it on really, it's made out personally to me and it'd have to be someone in the local area as its a local salon and they would pretend to have my name as it says non transferable (I did ask some friends but they weren't interested)

Unicorn81 Tue 06-Feb-18 21:30:41

I would go for massage too. I have oily skin and hair so dont like facials etc.

Im a bit blown away by your condition because i think its similar to what i get but always put it down to my hypothyrodism. Everytime i mention the sweating to the gp they just ignore me like its nothing. Ive been putting off a trip to hairdresser for over a year as the heat and hot water makes me sweat like a beast and i then start getting anxious and worried people are looking at me. I am the same with walking a short distance then breaking out in sweat like ive just had a hard workout. Its brought on some panic attacks too and i have to have a fan on my desk, when im drying my hair and getting ready and also at nighttime, even in winter.

Casmama Tue 06-Feb-18 21:39:23

I think you should definitely be brave and go for a back neck and shoulder massage. Tell the therapist about your condition and I’m sure they will put you at ease.
I once got a special offer somewhere and went for a massage once a week for 6 weeks - brilliant.

lololove Tue 06-Feb-18 22:48:06

Unicorn - definitely go and see your doctor! There is medicine (oxybutynin that worked for me and lessened it by 80%ish for 18 months then my body got used to it - glycopyrronium bromide in tablet and cream form which has done sod all for me - but might work for you! Push for a dermatologist referral if you have to - but keep fighting! Unfortunately for me as the GB tablets haven't worked and it's largely my face (they apparently won't botox a face here and won't do the operation on the nerves) they can't do anything else but I'm still researching and pushing. If it's elsewhere they can do more... but keep pushing!! If you find the medicine works for you it is life changing!!!)

Thank you all lovelies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now