Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Is this dress too casual for a wedding? And what would you wear over it?

(17 Posts)
UmSrsly Mon 05-Feb-18 13:20:02

Dear fashiony folks. I have just ordered this dress to wear for a wedding:

www.oasis-stores.com/gb/clothing/dresses/supersoft-drape-dress/063039.html?dwvar_063039_color=15&position=7&cgid=dresses#prefn1=refinementColor&prefv1=Grey&start=7&categoryID=dresses

but now I'm wondering whether it is a bit too casual (it hasn't actually arrived yet). I will probably get a smarter looking belt than the fabric one that comes with it and wear it with silver heels.

I'm also wondering what I could wear with it (I will need a jacket or something - it's for later in the year but it could still be a bit chilly).

Is it ok for a wedding? Any idea what I could wear over it?

PasDeDeux Mon 05-Feb-18 13:49:57

I wouldn't wear it to a wedding for 2 reasons:
1) It does look a bit too casual ONLY because of the toggle around the middle
2) Its far too dark. I'd only wear something dark grey/black to a funeral.

FreshStartToday Mon 05-Feb-18 13:59:13

I wouldn't normally wear black either but you could try something like this cream jacket and then accessorise shoes/bag/scarf with the cream colour.

Kitsharrington Mon 05-Feb-18 15:03:55

It looks a bit work-y rather than wedding-y to me.

rollingonariver Mon 05-Feb-18 15:08:13

I do think it's too casual sorry op and also I don't think you're meant to wear black to a wedding

Delatron Mon 05-Feb-18 15:30:01

Agree too dark and 'worky' when is the wedding?

UmSrsly Mon 05-Feb-18 15:37:38

Thanks all. That's what I was worried about and you've confirmed it! It's actually grey (they do a black version too) but perhaps that shade of grey is so dark that it may as well be black. Maybe I'll keep it anyway and wear it for something else smile

The wedding's not til May (but NW of England hence the need to find a jacket too) so I have a while.

ChodeofChodeHall Mon 05-Feb-18 18:26:00

I think it's lovely. I'd wear it.

ephemeralfairy Tue 06-Feb-18 11:37:40

I like it. Thin silver belt to match shoes and a bright jacket and it'll be perfect. I've got no time for wedding guest attire rules, as long as you don't wear white you should be fine.
I've worn black to the last two weddings I've been to and no-one has been upset or shunned me or thrown canapés at me or had me burned as a witch.

Chocolateyescakeyes Tue 06-Feb-18 11:44:24

I think it would be absolutely fine for a wedding. Glam it up with a chunky necklace, different belt and glittery heels and it would be lovely. Agree with ephemeralfairy, in that I have no time for wedding attire rules and am not into dresses that look too wedding guest like.

UmSrsly Tue 06-Feb-18 14:21:20

Ooh thank you! I've only just spotted the last few replies. Yes I was going to ditch the belt and try and find a thin silvery one.

Bright jacket you say...that's the bit I'm struggling with. I'll wait for it to arrive and see what the grey looks like in real life.

whatsinaname28 Tue 06-Feb-18 14:26:39

I'm getting married in June and I would have no issue whatsoever if anyone turned up in this dress.

Maybe I'm strange but surely it's about people making the effort to come that's important, not what they wear ( unless they rock up in a wedding dress grin)

UmSrsly Wed 07-Feb-18 09:57:16

Thanks whatsinaname (I don't remember taking offence at any of the outfits worn to my wedding either!)

Well problem solved as it turns out - Oasis have emailed me to say it's out of stock and they've cancelled my order. So that's that and I'll have to find something else to wear!

goose1964 Wed 07-Feb-18 17:33:32

I like it but it depends on the wedding. If it's really posh you'll be underdressed, but it would look fine for a more casual one especially if you change the belt

CanalCruiser Wed 07-Feb-18 21:58:16

I like it! They also do this dress in green if you want a colour...

PrancingQueen Thu 08-Feb-18 06:53:07

I love it and I’d wear it!
I’ve also worn black to a couple of weddings with no issues. The traditional ‘wedding attire’ is boring and very aging imo.

Doobigetta Thu 08-Feb-18 07:10:16

I think it's too casual, sorry. It's nice, but it isn't wedding attire. It's the fabric. You wouldn't actually look inappropriate- no-one could be offended by it- but you could do better. And personally I think a dress and jacket combo is a bit "worky" for a wedding.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: