Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Wedding dress help

(16 Posts)
LittleMissCalamity Sun 04-Feb-18 15:14:22

Hi

I’m getting married in the summer. It is going to be at a registry office with only close family invited so around 12 people max. I don’t want to wear a wedding dress, but I also want to look good on the day. My partner will be wearing a kilt. I hate my legs and arms so need them covered. Don’t want to wear a cover up so a dress with longer sleeves.

I’m a size 16 and really struggling to find something that isn’t too formal or evening wear. I’m getting married around 4pm and having a meal afterwards. Help!

LittleMissCalamity Sun 04-Feb-18 15:17:24

Forgot to say my maximum budget is £500.00.

marriednotdead Sun 04-Feb-18 15:52:24

Lots of things to think about.
Does it have to be white/cream/ivory? What shape would you say suits you?
If you think of the dress/outfit you feel most confident in and start there, you will be able to work out what kind of thing will flatter you most. Consider length, neckline and how fitted you'd like it and then you can whittle it down.
Separates are sometimes easier especially if you want long sleeves.

LittleMissCalamity Sun 04-Feb-18 16:24:13

Think I would like a maxi dress! Don't want white/cream but also not black either.

imsorryiasked Sun 04-Feb-18 16:45:15

How about this one OP? Blue maxi

imsorryiasked Sun 04-Feb-18 16:57:30

Or this one which has a purple print or a multi colour (different design) here

MightyMunki Sun 04-Feb-18 17:01:15

Have you had a look at ‘needle and thread’? They always pop into my head when someone says they want an alternative wedding dress.

iBiscuit Sun 04-Feb-18 17:08:44

I know you said not black, but this from Phase Eight is lovely:

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/shop-all-dresses/matia-beaded-cape-maxi-dress/204393351

IME Phase Eight dresses are usually really flattering. Apologies for the clumsy link btw, I can't find the square brackets on my new phone hmm

iBiscuit Sun 04-Feb-18 17:09:42

Oh, and it's not black at all. It's navy.

LittleMissCalamity Sun 04-Feb-18 17:11:19

Those dresses are lovely! Love the phrase eight one! Will look at needle and thread just now.

imsorryiasked Sun 04-Feb-18 18:17:51

Ah sorry I'd deliberately avoided ones like the phase eight one as you'd said not like evening wear.
Joanne Hope have some lovely beaded ones.

Pippin8 Sun 04-Feb-18 18:21:26

Few nice ones here.

www.virgoslounge.com/products/donatella-dress-teal

www.virgoslounge.com/collections/new-in/products/lena-maxi-navy

www.virgoslounge.com/collections/new-in/products/denise-dress-beige

Maverick66 Thu 08-Feb-18 12:28:45

Sorry no good at linking but have you looked at Jenny Packham at Debenhams?
There are some real beauties and shoes etc to match.

Bitsy1968 Thu 08-Feb-18 14:31:56

What about Coast? There's some absolute beauties in their maxi dress collection.

Willswife Thu 08-Feb-18 14:36:15

Have a look at Candy Anthony. Their dresses come up on eBay sometimes and there's also quite a lot of copies around.

They do some beautiful colours, not just ivory.

goose1964 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:25:52

How about this,https://www.theoutnet.com/en-fr/shop/product/gowns_cod4772211930028715.html#dept=INTL_Gowns_DRESSES_CLOTHING

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: