Advanced search

Swears By: Mumsnet recommends - February 2018

(23 Posts)
CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 02-Feb-18 16:50:37

Some of you may already receive our weekly Swears By newsletter, which is a round-up of products that Mumsnetters have been recommending to each other, but we thought we'd also collate them here. We will update every week, scroll down for the newest additions.

You can take a look at your best buys of 2017 here and last month's Swears By thread here.

If you want to be first to know about the next cult product, you can sign up to the newsletter here and you can also check out the Swears By page here.

Mumsnet Swears By is free and independent from advertising but if you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale. You can find out more here.

Prices listed are correct at time of posting.

To get things started:

Elvis & Kresse Reporter Bag, £160

A unisex bag made from recycled British fire-hose and lined with reclaimed parachute silk

"The firehouse material is like a thick solid but flexible leather. It feels very nice. I went for the yellow which I adore. I can see this bag being with me for years." 100YearsOfVote

"I love, love, love their products. All reclaimed material with 50% of profits going back to charity. And like 100YearsofVote said, the quality is just outstanding." Harryet88

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 02-Feb-18 16:54:46

Waitrose Pure Cleansing & Exfoliating Powder, £3

A fine exfoliating powder that is suitable for sensitive skin

"I bought the Waitrose Pure one and it's great. My face feels smooth, blackheads are fewer and it doesn't dry my skin or cause any tightness." Thishatisnotmine

"I bought the Waitrose one at the weekend and it's a) only £3 and b) lovely!" Sillybillypoopoomummy

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 02-Feb-18 17:16:18

TU Jeggings, £12.50

Classic rise stretch jeggings - available in five colours

“I wear Sainsbury's jeggings. I saw people on MN recommending them and didn't believe them. I've now got 6 pairs.” Fluffycloudland77

"Another vote for Sainsbury's Jeggings. They really are brilliant and super comfortable. I've got black and indigo. They're really cheap too." Commuterface

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 02-Feb-18 17:21:09

Vintage-style Halterneck Swimsuit, £14.99

A retro swimsuit with bust support and ruching in a boy-short style

"Honestly it's a lovely swimsuit, mine is over a year old and still going strong -and that's with me swimming five days a week. I get lots of compliments and it's got a double layer on the stomach so really sucks you in" PorklessPie

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 02-Feb-18 17:27:18

Joules Gosling Padded Jacket, £159 - now £119

A slimline padded jacket with a removable faux fur collar

"I have this and it's amazing. Really warm and waterproof - almost too warm. You can remove the fur too." Totallyliterally

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 02-Feb-18 17:34:56

And this is what MNers were buying last week:

Hush Stretch Silk Trousers, £65 (were £125)

If your ultimate style goal is to be comfy and casual - yet look polished - these 100% silk relaxed-cut trousers are a must-have addition to your wardrobe. They are elasticated at the waist and cuffs for maximum comfort and have handy pockets, but they're smart enough to wear to drinks or out for a posh meal - what's not to love?

PorklessPie Sun 04-Feb-18 14:41:44

OH MY WORD! I got a mention grin thank you grin

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Feb-18 16:12:42

Topshop Jamie Jeans, £40

The ultimate high-waisted, ankle-grazing jeans - available in more than 10 colours

“I've just bought some Topshop Jamie jeans - the ankle grazer style is perfect for my 5'3 short arse legs. Fabulous rise on them and everything snugly contained” NotExactlyHappyToHelp

“Another vote for Jamie jeans. I’m a complete convert: perfect length, perfect waistline, comfortable, a little stretch on them but pretty structured.” FreeButtonBee

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Feb-18 16:19:04

Thinsulate Bobble Hat, £12.99

A fleece-lined, thermal bobble hat - available in seven colours

"I swear by my Heat Holders Thinsulate lined bobble hat - it's the best ever!" TheVanguardSix

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Feb-18 16:22:10

Hush Nana Jumper, from £75

A relaxed fit, beautifully soft textured knit

“Oh my god, I love my Nana jumper. It is the best thing I bought all year. As you were.” ilovecherries

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Feb-18 16:24:45

Philips Lumea Prestige IPL Hair Removal Device - £393.75 (was £575)

Hair removal is tedious and expensive at the best of times, and painful at the worst. Enter HateSummer spilling the beans on "the best beauty product I ever purchased". The Philips Lumea is pricey, but it not only zaps hair for up to eight weeks, it also inhibits regrowth. Over time, hair becomes "so thin and barely visible" that "you use it less and less, so it should last years and years". Plus, it's safe to use on your face, underarms, bikini line and legs - we're off to calculate how much we spent on waxing in 2017...

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Feb-18 16:27:43

E-Cloth Mop, £15.99 (was £18.29)

Perfect for cleaning all hard floors with a removable, machine-washable head

"I've just got one and it's fab. I can't believe I'm saying this about a mop, but it is. The best thing about it is that you can take the cloth bit off and chuck it in the washing machine. Oh and you don't need a bucket of water." PrivateParkin

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 09-Feb-18 16:32:23

Boden Pyjama Bottoms, £30

Supersoft cotton pyjama bottoms with pockets and an elasticated waist

"Boden PJ bottoms are indestructible. They last forever, don’t go bobbly and don’t shrink at all. I have 3 pairs which I’ve had for years and they all still look really good after too many 60 degree washes to count." endthefarts

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Feb-18 14:50:15

NIOD Lip Bio-Lipid Concentrate, £38

A lip-plumping serum that doubles as a spot zapper

“I've accidentally found the cure for giant hormonal chin spots. I dabbed a bit on my burgeoning boulder and it completely died off within 24 hours. I've done the same thing three more times and it has always worked. It doesn't dry the skin as it is actually a serum. It is fantastic as a lip plumper too.” Bejazzled

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Feb-18 14:53:41

Gap Bikini Knickers, £7

Comfortable, non-VPL knickers, available in breathable cotton

"I swear by Gap (teeny bikini style). They are the only pants I've found that don't crawl up my bum. They're cotton and have gentle elastic so very little VPL. Available in black/grey/white and a range of patterns." minipies

Plus, get 35% off full-price items until 19/2/18 with the code COOLGAP

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Feb-18 14:56:13

Schwarzkopf got2b Powder'ful Volumizing Styling Powder, £4.19

A volume-boosting, texturising root powder that turns clear when applied to your hair

"It's small enough to pop in your bag and it's bloody amazing! Plenty of lift and height. I've been using it now for five years. Best hair product I ever bought" fireflame

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Feb-18 15:00:11

Hush Washed Yellow Love Sweat Top, £40.10 with code

A relaxed fit, 100% cotton sweatshirt – style with boyfriend jeans for a cool casual look

“I absolutely love this yellow washed sweat top. It's really lovely. I love it with my black Amie joggers and it goes with all my skinny jeans” neveradullmoment99

Get 10% off and free delivery & returns with code: MNETPREVIEW

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-Feb-18 15:05:56

Charlotte Tilbury Rock 'n' Kohl, £19

A kohl eyeliner pencil that applies as smoothly as liquid eyeliner

"Charlotte Tilbury kohl pencils are absolutely amazing….could not recommend them more. They go on like a pencil but look like liquid. I used to use Chanel until I found these." LentilBaby

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 23-Feb-18 17:17:03

Kipling Alvar Cross-body Bag, from £41.60

A versatile, lightweight cross-body bag

"I was given the Kipling Alvar as a present almost a year ago and have used it daily since then. It’s the best handbag I’ve ever owned. It still looks brand new. It wipes clean, isn’t heavy before you put anything in it and is just brilliant. I love it. It’s like a Tardis – my DH was agog at everything I pulled out of it when I went to get my umbrella out." GeekyWombat

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 23-Feb-18 17:26:54

TU Premium Leather Jacket, £99

A spring update on a wardrobe staple

"They wear really well and are a great bargain." wickedfairy

"It's true to size and I love it – I've been wearing it today. The leather does need wearing in a bit but it looks a lot more expensive than it is. For £25 more than a pleather offering from somewhere else, it’s well worth it." 40andfeelingit

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 23-Feb-18 17:28:49

The Ordinary Buffet, £13

A hardworking serum that tackles multiple signs of ageing at once

"The Ordinary Buffet serum, with their Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate Solution 10% on top, has turned my skin around in about 10 days of use (although it looked better after one day of using them)." MissPatty

"Second the Buffet serum. Made my skin look amazing in under two weeks. It's dead cheap too." Hersetta427

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 23-Feb-18 17:30:49

Next Suede Mules, £20

Suede slippers with cosy faux fur lining

"Next suede mules are so comfy and hard-wearing" badgerread

"I'll second the Next ones: so cosy – and I hate wearing slippers" MissMarple11

AliceDMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 23-Feb-18 17:32:59

Dunelm Ivory Slumber Rug, from £45

A luxuriously deep pile, shaggy rug

"We just got a Slumber rug in Ivory from Dunelm and I absolutely love it. It's so soft DH often just lies on it when he's watching tellie, but he's a bit odd. Although it's one colour, the pile goes in all directions and shows the light differently so it doesn't look 'uniform' IYSWIM." MaggieFS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now