Talk

Advanced search

What to wear underneath my dress?

(78 Posts)
NaiceBiscuits Thu 01-Feb-18 17:32:21

So I'll be getting married mid autumn and I've just ordered my white dress (see pictures) and bought some Irregular Choice shoes.

I could really do with some lingerie that'd work well and also keep me warm. Any suggestions?

I'm really pale, so I'm not sure whether I could find skin tone tights light enough to wear with it, but think I'm setting myself up to be an icicle if I don't...

Lucymek Thu 01-Feb-18 17:35:32

Don't wear tights !especially not skin Shade !

Lovely dress though.

cindersrella Thu 01-Feb-18 17:43:31

I love your dress and shoes!! Can you get a nice coat or wrap to wear on top and hopefully you won't be outside to long so you will be able to bear it?

MrsPear Thu 01-Feb-18 17:49:10

Don’t see the problem with tights - I wear skin tone. It is that or two milk bottles sticking out. Just don’t get the orange ones.

NaiceBiscuits Thu 01-Feb-18 17:50:32

Umm, we'll be getting married in a church that might be a bit cold to start off with, so I need something underneath that'll help. I like the idea of getting something warm for outside, I hadn't thought about that!

I'm usually just a bra and knickers type, but would a basque (or whatever they're called) help? And maybe a silk slip underneath? And how to find a basque type thing that doesn't slip down?

DianaT1969 Thu 01-Feb-18 18:29:15

When I worked in fitness we were told that people stayed warm if they covered their larger muscles. Glutes are large, so you could try white cycling shorts. If I were you, I'd go bare legged, but wear a velvet cloak for the church. Also offer to pay the church for extra heating.

NaiceBiscuits Thu 01-Feb-18 18:54:10

Good tip about glutes!

The church will be heated, but they only have infrared heaters that heat people/things up, rather than warm the air....Hard to describe!

callmybabybalonz Thu 01-Feb-18 18:56:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MikeUniformMike Thu 01-Feb-18 19:00:07

You will be wearing the underwear for hours. Make sure it is comfortable.

MikeUniformMike Thu 01-Feb-18 19:01:16

Hadn't seen the shoes. I don't like the style or colour. Sorry.

Tiddlywinks63 Thu 01-Feb-18 19:01:46

if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything callmybabybalonz
That's a singularly unpleasant comment.

I think you'll look stunning op, I love those shoes!

JesusTapdancingChrist Thu 01-Feb-18 19:03:29

The dress is very bare for an Autumn wedding? Something at that length but with short/3/4 sleeves would be much better imo.

And the shoes are not very nice and don't go with the dress at all.

Fekko Thu 01-Feb-18 19:05:11

I guess you will have some sort of cover - I’m thinking cardigan but you know what I mean - to go over your shoulders?

It’s a pretty dress - is it comfortable? I’d be hoiking it up all day.

Christmascardqueen Thu 01-Feb-18 19:07:00

the church would probably allow you a plug in radiant heater that you can tuck in front of the first pew. it will provide you with additional heat and be concealed from view and tripping hazards. a nice shawl to cover your shoulders would be lovely even during the service.

Bodear Thu 01-Feb-18 19:07:21

Hi OP, ignore the previous poster who is rude and has terrible taste. You have great taste and your dress is gorgeous.
I had a winter wedding and it snowed. I wore irregular choice shoes and a dress a similar length to yours. I did wear tights; I got them from a dance shop as they were a bit thicker and looked absolutely fine (especially in the pictures).
Underneath the dress I wore nice knickers and a strapless wonderbra (they’re awesome and won’t go anywhere).
I had a white winter jacket from guess for outside but I really wasn’t cold at all. The Adrenalin and joy on the day kept me warm. Cheesy but true. Have a wonderful day!

Laska5772 Thu 01-Feb-18 19:11:18

How about a red petticoat under that dress .?

Duckies Thu 01-Feb-18 19:15:00

Just jumping in to say shoes and dress both lovely. Velvet cloak sounds glam.

NaiceBiscuits Thu 01-Feb-18 19:18:53

CallMyBabyBalonz I can assure you that the vicar of the church likes the dress. They're not so hot on people being insulting though wink

I'm in two minds about the shoes. I have bought them but not worn them. They're very comfy, and as I'll be standing for most of the service, that's important.

I figured that as the dress is quite simple, I could go for statement shoes? I'd welcome suggestions, but my feet are a bit tricky (high instep, wide all, narrow ankle and easily blister)

NaiceBiscuits Thu 01-Feb-18 19:21:26

I could return the shoes if I could find nicer ones?

NaiceBiscuits Thu 01-Feb-18 19:28:11

Yes the dress is really comfy, and doesn't slip down, much to my amazement!

NaiceBiscuits Thu 01-Feb-18 19:30:41

Bodear dance shop tights are a genius idea, if I can get them to match my luminous white pale complexion.

hugoagogo Thu 01-Feb-18 19:33:16

I think the shoes are great and comfy is very important.
Flesh coloured stockings and silk camiknickers underneath, silk is a great insulator.
A velvet cloak sounds brilliant. grin

ElfrideSwancourt Thu 01-Feb-18 19:44:35

The shoes are fab don't change them! I love your dress too but I think you will freeze without tights. A velvet cloak sounds v glamorous.

BelleandBeast Thu 01-Feb-18 19:47:43

DO NOT RETURN THE SHOES

They are amazing. I second the idea of a red petticoat!

NaiceBiscuits Thu 01-Feb-18 19:48:30

So, people who don't like the shoes (I know Irregular Choice can be a bit marmite), what would you pair with the dress instead?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now