Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Will this tone down brassiness?

(34 Posts)
youvegottobekidding Thu 01-Feb-18 10:57:04

Had ombre done at hairdressers & because my hair had colour build up, a blonde shade couldn't be achieved in one session so it's a more gradual process, aiming for a light caramel colour.

It's actually not too bad. Just a touch brassy, which was as expected, a toner was applied. But I suppose that'll wash out? However, I'd still like to neutrilise the slight brassy tones & was wondering is this will do the trick? Can it been used on bleached/highlighted hair I wonder? Or will it turn my hair green/blue?!!!

www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/Superdrug-Colour-Effects-Cool-Blonde-8-1/p/695104

dementedpixie Thu 01-Feb-18 10:58:25

A purple shampoo might help

WhattheChuff Thu 01-Feb-18 10:58:43

There's this shampoo called 'touch of silver' that's meant to remove brassiness- not used it myself but pretty sure I read about it on here. Let me look it up...

WhattheChuff Thu 01-Feb-18 11:00:01

https://www.superdrug.com/Skin-and-Hair/PRO:VOKE-Touch-Of-Silver-Brightening-Shampoo-150ml/p/205099

It's on offer at Superdrug.

scampiesandchips Thu 01-Feb-18 12:06:55

You need L'Oréal Serie Expert purple shampoo. You can get it on Amazon. Fudge do one too, or Daddy O by Lush is good. Don't bother with any others purple shampoo expert

Pebbles17 Thu 01-Feb-18 15:38:01

That Provoke shampoo is incredible. I've used more expensive ones (Daddy O, Milkshake ) but on my hair have found that to be the best. I have nearly white/silver blonde hair without even a hint of brassiness

Christmastree43 Thu 01-Feb-18 15:43:05

The Bleach London one is the strongest I’ve ever used and if I’m consistent with it I get a lovely ashy colour back.

I tend to forget for a couple of weeks and it will go a little more yellow but if you use a silver shampoo say three times in one week and leave it on for like ten minutes it goes back whiter and then only need to maintain once a week ish

Am a huge fan of silver shampoos for bleached hair

shebagthehag Thu 01-Feb-18 17:23:28

Fudge silver shampoo works best for me

Lucymek Thu 01-Feb-18 17:24:44

Get the Scott Cornwall blue toner thing it's actually good.

Don't dye it u will mess it up.

Try Scott Cornwall thing first.

Lucymek Thu 01-Feb-18 17:25:10

Oh and that super drug thing is shit !

It didn't do anything to mine.

GameOldBirdz Thu 01-Feb-18 17:33:35

I've had platinum blonde hair for years. It takes lots of work to keep out the brassiness. I've tried everything going.

Superdrug Colour Effects: Shit
Touch of silver: Shit
Scott Cornwall: Not too bad
Bleach London: Fine for an all-over colour but needs to be left on for hours
Provoke: Quite good
L'Oréal Serie Expert purple: Shit
Fudge Violet shampoo: Yes, brilliant, the only thing that works well I think. You only need a small amount. Lather it up, spread it on, leave five minutes. here

GameOldBirdz Thu 01-Feb-18 17:34:07

I agree with @lucymek Don't dye it, try shampoos first

Aridane Thu 01-Feb-18 18:55:32

Fanola No Yellow

youvegottobekidding Thu 01-Feb-18 23:25:25

I've washed my hair using John Frieda tone correcting shampoo & conditioner & it hasnt made any difference, if anything my hair looks even more yellow-y!!

My hair isn't bleached to a platinum blonde or light blonde, it was only lifted to achieve a caramel blonde so obviously a lot of brassiness is there. If I put this level 1 fye over it would it calm it down? I don't think I can walk around with yellow hair!! the photo is a pic of what colour my hair looks like.

www.superdrug.com/Save-£1-on-selected-Nice-N-Easy/Nice'n-Easy-Colour-Enhancer-Hair-Dye-Beige-Blonde-70/p/70458

youvegottobekidding Thu 01-Feb-18 23:25:56

*fye, dye!

partydownseason2 Thu 01-Feb-18 23:35:14

Don’t use any kind of dye or colour corrector.

Get a purple shampoo (see PP) and leave it in for a while. It will work!

Fosterdog123 Fri 02-Feb-18 07:04:00

Fanola no yellow is best out there and I've tried the lot! You must wear gloves though as it stains immediately due to high levels of pigmentation.

Aridane Fri 02-Feb-18 10:28:44

Your hair looks lovely, not brassy or yellow!

stoplickingthetelly Fri 02-Feb-18 12:41:47

The salon at home range from Charles Worthington is brilliant. I use the ultra violet shade and conditioner. You can get it in boots and it's just as good, if not better, than the more expensive brands.

youvegottobekidding Fri 02-Feb-18 14:49:04

Thank you Aridane, you're too kind!

I tried washing it again in the John Frieda shampoo but it has little effect. To me it looks brassy, I don't really want to dye over it, I don't want to darken it again.

Fosterdog123, I've googled that Fanola shampoo & the results look amazing, but do you think it would that work on my hair as mine isn't platinum blonde/bleached pale blonde? And there's a few varieties on Amazon, is it just the no- yellow shampoo that I'll need? Can't believe I need to spend more money 😩

When I'm drying my hair, it's like I've got 50 shades of yellow, brown, orange & then my grey/auburn roots.

Aridane Fri 02-Feb-18 14:55:21

I think the Fanola No Yellow will help. It helps with mine. Mine was dark with liberal grey and lightened to caramel - but then goes a bit brassy and yellow. Fanola No Yellow helps - I leave it on quite a bit. Careful not to splash around as it stains. On another thread, someone describes using it as looking like they've murdered a smurf grin

Chewbecca Fri 02-Feb-18 14:57:21

Looks really nice to me!

Lucymek Fri 02-Feb-18 15:23:50

I dont even think you need a shampoo it looks like likes it disposed
To be caramel coloured.

Scott Cornwall does a caramel toner conditioner try that.

John frida is pants IMO

Looks really nice though tbh.

MadameBronte Fri 02-Feb-18 18:16:05

I use Lee Stafford Hot Shot once a week. It smells lovely and really keeps your hair a clean, ash blonde. It says on the packet to only leave it on for 2 minutes but I leave it on for about 15 minutes to get mine really ash.

youvegottobekidding Sat 03-Feb-18 19:32:18

I've ordered some of the Fanola No Yellow shampoo. I'm on a laptop now and just opened that photo and it looks a lot less brassy than the photo on my mobile?!!! in RL it is more brassier as well.

Hopefully the Fanola shampoo will even out the tones, does it slightly lighten hair (not dark hair but highlighted hair) as well then?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: