Talk

Advanced search

How to get a blow dry to last?

(18 Posts)
Bingbongband Tue 23-Jan-18 20:10:10

So... I keep reading about people (with far too much money and time on their hands) who have a blow dry each week. Not a trim or their roots doing, literally just a wash and dry.

They reckon it's worth the effort because it makes their hair easier to style for days. But how do they make this happen?! My hairdresser dries my hair nicely, the next day might look OK but after that it's back to normal haystack.

My hair is in good condition, fairly normal and I'm quite low maintainance and prefer a natural/imperfect look. I'd love to have a nice blow dry last for days!

Pictureiswonky Tue 23-Jan-18 21:00:15

A colleague of mine does that but she doesn't wash her hair in 5 days. It looks fine on her, not greasy. I would be scratching like a monkey if I tried

Mulberrysilk Tue 23-Jan-18 21:05:56

A good blow dry lasts much longer than an ordinary blow dry. It depends on who does it for you.

wavesandwellies Tue 23-Jan-18 21:09:11

its not just down to a stylisy that can do a decent blowdry it also depends on your hair.

some people are lucky that they have normal to thick hair that is just coarse enough to hold a blowdry for a few days.

Bingbongband Tue 23-Jan-18 21:29:52

Haha WavesandWellies, I have thick, straightish hair which my hairdresser says is somewhat coarse. What's going wrong! 😂

Pollaidh Tue 23-Jan-18 22:10:44

Two things:
1. Don't fiddle with it. Seems to make it much greasier. I run a wide tooth comb through in the morning and leave it.

2. You need to train your hair to go longer between washes, little by little. Maybe adding a day at a time. I can get 7 days at a push now, maybe using dry shampoo on the last day or so. I did at one point manage to push it to fortnightly when I had a newborn. Don't put too much conditioner and product on.

My hair is thick and curly and I either blow dry straight myself, or at hairdresser. Lots of hairspray if humid.

TillyVonMilly Tue 23-Jan-18 22:43:38

Wouldn’t matter who blow dried my hair, two days and my hair would go and wash its self hmm how do people manage to shower/bath and not end up with steamy, greasy hair? Plus I’m a very restless sleeper, you’d think I sleep upside down judging by my hair. blush

Tantpoke Wed 24-Jan-18 00:35:33

Philip Kingsley Elastisizer is what keeps a blow dry in tact for days.

IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying Wed 24-Jan-18 08:03:34

How about exercising? I have to wash my hair after getting sweaty so there would be no point for me.

userxx Wed 24-Jan-18 08:07:44

Even the most amazing blow dry won't help when getting sweaty. It's pointless.

MiniTheMinx Wed 24-Jan-18 08:14:50

I have naturally thick coarse wavy hair, I could leave it for 5 days and not scratch my head. However humidity or rain makes my already coarse hair frizzy. I did though once have my hair set in huge rollers, it took 3 hrs but it lasted for days and stayed in lovely sleek bouncy waves. Alas, who has time to sit in the hairdressers for hours, I don't.

mammmamia Wed 24-Jan-18 08:24:52

Make sure it's shampooed twice. Don't touch it. Use a shower cap in the shower and don't spend too long in the shower. Use dry shampoo on the last day. Clip it up while you're at home but not too hard. I can make a blow dry last 5 days this way but I agree it wouldn't work for fine or greasy hair.

AnaViaSalamanca Wed 24-Jan-18 11:14:32

exactly, IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying! I don't really bother with salon blow drys unless I am going somewhere immediately, else it would be gone in one day as I exercise almost every day and cannot tolerate sweaty scalp...

NataliaOsipova Wed 24-Jan-18 11:17:26

Mine last...but I have naturally very wavy hair, so the blow dry "evolves" over the following days. After a while it fights back to the point it needs a good wash!

LadyOfTheCanyon Wed 24-Jan-18 11:37:00

Had my hair blow dried yesterday- slept on it and this morning it looks fuller than usual but it's gone all over the shop style wise. I ran some Aussie oil through it to tame the ends and now it just looks like I took slightly longer than normal blow drying it. angry

Honeycake50 Wed 24-Jan-18 13:53:36

Weekly salon blow dryer here, if not then every 10 days otherwise it's a ponytail for me.

Hair is very fine and frizzy so i can neither be bothered to spend over an hour blow drying it like i used to in my younger days and it lasts me most of the week. It gets greasy perhaps by day 6. I shower daily, never baths and I always have to make sure it's tied in a ponytail before i get in so the hot frizz does not distort it too much.

Trust me - I have tried over 20+ hairdressers. Only 2 can do my hair and people always comment, i have finally managed to track the main hairdresser i love down as he left my local salon and I have been in a state of despair for the last year or so.

It's all to do with the type of brush used (HAS to be ceramic round one) and a good grip/technique around the brush and the strength of the hair being pulled down. A decent hairdresser will make your hair last more than a day.

Honeycake50 Wed 24-Jan-18 13:57:53

So... I keep reading about people (with far too much money and time on their hands)

Also that is very presumptuous!!! I work full time and spend my average earnings on a service that makes a big difference for me.

'Time on my hands' is literally a quick rush round the corner to the salon for half hour before OH goes to work every weekend afternoon!

Yvest Wed 24-Jan-18 13:58:26

I can tell if I’m going to get a good blow dry or not from the first stroke of the brush. The hair has to be pulled hard and firmly and from the roots. If that happens it’s almost always a good blow dry which will last 4 - days and by which point I’ll have to wash it due to grease. If they tickle my hair with the brush it’s never going to hold. I have to have my hair done by a hairdresser who is used to Greek / Jewish / Indian hair as they seem to be the only ones who actually manage to give a firm enough blowdry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now