Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Talk to me about lash extensions

(11 Posts)
TheGrumpySquirrel Mon 22-Jan-18 21:08:35

What kind are best? Do they ruin your own lashes? I have good, full lashes but tempted by the nice fluttery look I am seeing everywhere... How's the maintenance? Thanks!

botemp Mon 22-Jan-18 21:22:17

Hate to burst the bubble, but I wouldn't whilst pregnant (I know OP from another thread). Some salons will do it but it's a risk.

I had mink ones which are supposed to be the most realistic/natural looking ones. They were great and didn't ruin my lashes but I didn't top up regularly, usually just got them before a vacation or holiday period. Then I got a bit bored with them as the procedure is time-consuming and not exactly pleasant (lots of watering after in my case and my lashes crisscross over each other so it was always more effort for the technician to attach) and my own lashes are pretty good to begin with. I think if you constantly refill them they can quite easily ruin your lashes but if you give them a break in between they're more manageable.

Macarena1990 Mon 22-Jan-18 22:04:18

I have individual ones, not sure of the brand.

Have had them on since the summer, with infills every fortnight - am totally hooked. Not sure what my lashes are like underneath though.

thesleepsheep Mon 22-Jan-18 22:40:40

I had them whilst pregnant throughout and was fine. Although Dd now 6 months I've just had them taken off and got virtually no lashes underneath. Patiently waiting regrowth sad

BuzzKillington Mon 22-Jan-18 22:44:10

I had them done at the beginning of December and they are still going strong. I had no idea they lasted so long. I enjoyed the process - it took 90 minutes but I slept through most of it.

I had the shortest ones available as I loathe the really fake look, and my own lashes are quite long.

I can see how it can be addictive.

littleorange Mon 22-Jan-18 22:47:26

Hated them. Spent £70 on proper mink ones, fluttery and not that heavy. BUT. Couldn't cope with the sensation on something on my eyelashes. Ended up removing them after ten days.

proudmum4 Mon 22-Jan-18 22:56:27

Allure individual do it yourself ones under a fiver !
I swear by them honestly the best thing haha fiddly at first but after a few goes you get the hang of it just use tweezers don't pay stupid money for weekend lashes or whatever

TheGrumpySquirrel Tue 23-Jan-18 03:35:06

Sounds like a massive faff! It's a shame as love the look. I can't get on with strip lashes, so this would probably be just as uncomfortable. I guess I should be grateful for the lashes I have! Wouldn't want to risk them

kaytee87 Tue 23-Jan-18 08:08:27

I had individual ones done (very relaxing, got to lie down for an hour with my eyes shut). They looked good and I could barely feel them there. They didn't last the full 2 weeks though but I was on holiday so in swimming pool etc.

OakIsBetterTho Tue 23-Jan-18 08:16:07

I've been getting them for the last 18 months, currently on my second short break (of 3-4 weeks) to give my lashes breathing room. They are shorter underneath but nothing too worrying... if you're careful not to pull at the lash extensions, the damage to your own lashes should be minimal and recoverable. I am in love with my extensions, wouldn't stop having them done now! Get infills every 3 weeks or so. I can barely feel them really, although I think they may be annoying if you wore glasses... you'd have to keep them shorter.
Be warned tho, you will want to go thicker and longer as time goes on!

fia101 Tue 23-Jan-18 08:37:54

Loved the, felt glam and saved time putting on mascara but it annoyed me when ie a few middle ones would fall out after 3 days and that was me being really careful and sleeping on a silk pillowcase. I'd then spend ages trying to cover the bald patch. Was having top ups every 2 weeks but was costing plus I didn't have time in evening to go with having kids etc and Saturdays always booked.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: